Best source for mtb tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best source for mtb tires

I know riding daily is a good thing and I'm getting a lot exercise, but it's also wearing my tires pretty rapidly too. My bike has WTB Ranger 2.25x29 on it and I know nothing about them, but I would like to have a tire that would be competent for occasional off road rides, but be good for primarily road rides.

Where do yall get your tires, what is your preference for brand and what are your recommendations?

If your riding on the road a lot, just put a road tire on it. I have WTB Flat Guard Thick Slicks on mine right now while waiting on the new rides. I don't usually dabble in both on the same ride. However, the new stead is coming with WTB Ventures and those guys like them. WTB makes several multi tasking type of tires and they are usually fairly light. Like I bet they usually weigh half what my Thickslicks weigh. I saw one called the Byway also that looked like something you would like. Just depends on how much you are trail riding.

Amazon and Ebay since I am impatient. Although be careful. I wasn't paying attention and ordered tires from the Netherlands the other day. Like a two month delivery so I ordered some more closer. At least I have two bikes that use that size!
    Last edited by kingjason; 06-13-2020, 01:50 PM.
    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
      I know riding daily is a good thing and I'm getting a lot exercise, but it's also wearing my tires pretty rapidly too. My bike has WTB Ranger 2.25x29 on it and I know nothing about them, but I would like to have a tire that would be competent for occasional off road rides, but be good for primarily road rides.

Where do yall get your tires, what is your preference for brand and what are your recommendations?
      I think the type of tyre you want is called a hybrid.

Comment

Get some Bridgestones or Maxxis

Jenson USA is a great shop. When I did a bunch of work to my Trek I ordered everything from there.

Comment

Thanks for the info, but I've more questions than answers after "shopping". Is there any reason to get a "folding" bead type tire over a wire bead type? I'm seeing tires of all types w/a TPI rating and what I'm gathering is, the higher the number, the softer it rides. Is that right and if so, does it also increase rolling resistance?

My bike came w/ 29x2.25" tires, is there any reason why I should keep that width or is it ok to run a different size?

Comment

Thanks for the info, but I've more questions than answers after "shopping". Is there any reason to get a "folding" bead type tire over a wire bead type? I'm seeing tires of all types w/a TPI rating and what I'm gathering is, the higher the number, the softer it rides. Is that right and if so, does it also increase rolling resistance?

My bike came w/ 29x2.25" tires, is there any reason why I should keep that width or is it ok to run a different size?
            They proved a while back that the difference in tires that are slightly different in sizes is negligible. Higher threads per inch and they are lighter and a tad softer and faster not slower since wheel weight can make a bigger difference than a lot of things. Tire pressure makes a lot of difference also and if you run tubeless they are supposed to ride better also but you have to re seal them every now and again. Get ya some Scwlalbe big apples. People love those and they hardly ever flat. To me,a slight difference in speed or ride quality is far out weighed by not having to worry about flats. Most of my bikes for years ran Gatorskins just for that reason. The only flat I have had in years other than offroad goathead horns was a trike I had with slicks on it.

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Alright gents, from all the hours of my life I'll never get back while searching for replacements, I think these fit the bill pretty well. My question is, have any of you used this brand or have any opinions about them? 90% of my riding is pavement, but that doesn't mean it's all I want to do, so I want some dirt/mud competency.

My bike has these rims w/their specs listed on teh bottom of the image. What I don't know is the are they compatible as far as yall can tell? I had no clue that bikes had become so intricate.

Comment

Yes.

Most are compatible now days but someone had to make a tubular wheel which is not compatible with anything. It is an odd oval shape rim that has to be glued on but they confuse it all the time in conversations about tubeless ready.

Basically, does your rim have a thin strip around the top to hold a tire on as the tube presses against it (clincher strip). All tubeless ready wheels do and all tubeless ready tires do. So, you can run them on clincher rims or tubeless ready. Clincher being the little strip around the top. And at some point if you want, you can add stems like a car and glue the tire to the rim, so you have tubeless. I just like tubes because they are easy. All tubeless ready tires will work on clincher rims which I don't even know if they make just clincher MTB wheels any more.

Now get ready for the fun, as you will break the shit out of tire leavers if you don't do this right on tubeless ready. They are like this because if you run tubeless the bead has to sit tight on the rim as the little strip is no longer holding it from the tube pressing against it.

Let all the air out of tire. Take both hands and squeeze both sides to the middle all they way around the tire, there is a groove/v channel. Then, with a spray bottle hit one side all they way around with soap and water. Pop one side off and work it around then the other side will slide off easy. RE install is the opposite buttttttt. Add a little air to the tube so it takes shape before you put it in. Start at the stem, once it is on, and both sides in the groove, add a little more air and go around the wheel squeezing it together all the way around like you are kneading bread. This will release any tube you may have pinched in under the tire installing. Then air it up, and it is going to pop and creak up until about 50 psi or so like a MC tire.
                Last edited by kingjason; 06-16-2020, 12:07 PM.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

As far as I can tell, there's no additional ring, so they're tube type only.

Comment

As far as I can tell, there's no additional ring, so they're tube type only.
                    They are tubeless ready by the picture. When you un seat them there will be a.....lets call it a lip around the inside edge of the rim. Otherwise they would be tubeless only and glued on with solid valve stems.

Looky here

And here, you can see the little lip on the edge in the package where it is folded up. The tube pushes the tire out and locks it in to the lip on the wheel. You can go tubeless but you have to tape the center, add stems and then glue/tire sealer. If I rode mountain a lot and was out in the boonies I might go this route since they seal up after you run over stuff. You have to have a decent compressor to get them seated though.

It’s winter here in Southern California and that means training season for upcoming bikepacking adventures and races. In preparation, I’ve been trail testing some tires from Teravail, the QBP brand, that is well known for off-road tires. I was keen to try the Sparwood 29 x 2.2” tires on my Salsa Cut
                    Last edited by kingjason; 06-16-2020, 06:24 PM.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

You mind if I hit you up outside of here kingjason?

Comment

Working...
                      X