No announcement yet.

Rolling blackouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pto generator , 300 gals of diesel , i'm good .

i remember back in the 70's it got hot as hell in colorado . we were cooking up in the mountains . sun was just brutal .

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
      texas fucked up depending so heavily on wind generation of power . but we still should be ok this summer . depending on who you listen to . hopefully the liberal yankees have been run off that fucked things up last winter . time will tell .
      I think that was practically forced in the Obama admin, iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post

i remember back in the 70's it got hot as hell in colorado . we were cooking up in the mountains . sun was just brutal .
        But thats impossible. Global Warming wasn't around back then.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
            Crazy heat in the mountains right now. It's been in the 90s the past few days here at my place in Lake City, and I'm just under 9k'. Completely out of the norm. Nobody has central air up here. I've got two window units running full blast, and all the blinds closed. My house (and most up here) are built for solar gain, to help in the winter.

I heard it was worse in the Denver/CO Springs area. Are y'all not having a heat wave?
            It's 102F here today. But only 10-15% humidity. It's FUCKIN' AWESOME! I sat on my front porch all afternoon and barely broke a sweat watching my boy play in the sprinklers...

My mountain lot is in Fairplay, CO. Fairplay has a high of 81 but my lot is ~1600ft higher. The weekend temps out there will drop into the low 70s.

BTW, not to start any shit here, but your power problems today aren't from wind power. Ercot said 11000MW of power is offline. 8000MW of that is "thermal" that's Natural Gas. The rest is "intermittent resources" which is a mix of everything else.

But, Ercot also said that Windw power is about 1500MW lower than is typical for peak conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
              BTW, not to start any shit here, but your power problems today aren't from wind power. Ercot said 11000MW of power is offline. 8000MW of that is "thermal" that's Natural Gas. The rest is "intermittent resources" which is a mix of everything else.

But, Ercot also said that WindOw power is about 1500MW lower than is typical for peak conditions.
              http://www.ercot.com/news/releases/show/233037
              In other words they didn't realize it would be this hot this quick, so planned outages were scheduled for maintenance and whatnot. Plus money isn't made on power not used, so they don't make excess amounts.

*All this info is 2nd hand, i am probably speaking out of my entire ass.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                  No, north of Dallas in Little Elm.
                  Ah. My post was directed at Sgt Beavis, who I believe is in the Denver area. I was actually in Texas, myself, for April and May. So much rain. I wish we could get some of that up here. It’s brutally dry. And now it’s brutally hot, when it really shouldn’t be.

Comment

It's 102F here today. But only 10-15% humidity. It's FUCKIN' AWESOME! I sat on my front porch all afternoon and barely broke a sweat watching my boy play in the sprinklers...
                    That’s way too hot for me. Anything over 85, and I don’t want to be outside unless I’m in the water. Did some tubing Sunday and rafting yesterday, with the water temps around 40-45. That was nice! Out of the water was miserable at 90+.

My mountain lot is in Fairplay, CO. Fairplay has a high of 81 but my lot is ~1600ft higher. The weekend temps out there will drop into the low 70s.
                    Are you going by a weather app, or do you have your own station up there? I haven’t found an app that’s ever anywhere close to accurate for the mountains here. They were calling for 86 the last couple days, and 83 today. That’s already well above normal. We hit 93 at one point today, based on my own equipment (in the shade). They’re showing 73 on Saturday, but I’m not getting my hopes up. This heat wave is nasty. The weather was one of my main reasons for leaving Texas for the mountains, and without central air, I’m not thrilled right now. Lol

Comment

Ercot can eat a dick.

Bring back coal power plants and be done with this hippie shit.
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                        That’s way too hot for me. Anything over 85, and I don’t want to be outside unless I’m in the water. Did some tubing Sunday and rafting yesterday, with the water temps around 40-45. That was nice! Out of the water was miserable at 90+.

Are you going by a weather app, or do you have your own station up there? I haven’t found an app that’s ever anywhere close to accurate for the mountains here. They were calling for 86 the last couple days, and 83 today. That’s already well above normal. We hit 93 at one point today, based on my own equipment (in the shade). They’re showing 73 on Saturday, but I’m not getting my hopes up. This heat wave is nasty. The weather was one of my main reasons for leaving Texas for the mountains, and without central air, I’m not thrilled right now. Lol
                        I learned in Albuquerque that swamp coolers suck balls when it's humid and above about 90.

Comment

your power problems today aren't from wind power. Ercot said 11000MW of power is offline. 8000MW of that is "thermal" that's Natural Gas. The rest is "intermittent resources" which is a mix of everything else.
                          I read 12 GW, but either way it's bullshit.
                          Previous June peak demand record was 69,123 MW and yesterday 3pm demand was 70,000 MW.

ERCOT can suck a fatty. There's a certain "Texas pride" that people think is cool when it comes to not being "part of the others" but the lack of grid stability by not being tied into the other interconnects is bullshit when you have a group like ERCOT running things.

It was just proposed that a $2.5B "bailout" plan be passed to help out TX utilities for the complete shitshow that happened just six months ago

An approximately $2.5 billion plan to bail out Texas’ distressed electricity market from the financial crisis caused by Winter Storm Uri in February was approved by the Texas House. The legislation would impose a fee — likely for the next decade or longer — on electricity companies, which would then get passed on to residential and business customers in their power bills. Lawmakers on Wednesday said they could not yet estimate how much it would impact Texans’ electricity bills.

If approved by the Senate and Gov. Greg Abbott, a newly-created Texas Electric Securitization Corp. would use the money raised from the fees for bonds to help pay the companies’ debts, including costs for ancillary services...

... Paddie told his colleagues Wednesday that he could not yet estimate how long the new fee would be imposed, but during committee hearings lawmakers estimated it’s likely to be at least a decade.

and here we are again, Bernie Sanders style: "Once again, I am asking you to ________"

Fuck ERCOT.
                          Last edited by Strychnine; 06-15-2021, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Tin foil hat: it’s a planned year-long fuck up to make it look great when they re-regulate Texas electricity.
                            Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                            Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                            Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                            dont downshift!!
                            Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                              I learned in Albuquerque that swamp coolers suck balls when it's humid and above about 90.
                              HIgh five on that shit. I only visit in the winter.

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                              I read 12 GW, but either way it's bullshit.
                              Previous June peak demand record was 69,123 MW and yesterday 3pm demand was 70,000 MW.

ERCOT can suck a fatty. There's a certain "Texas pride" that people think is cool when it comes to not being "part of the others" but the lack of grid stability by not being tied into the other interconnects is bullshit when you have a group like ERCOT running things.

It was just proposed that a $2.5B "bailout" plan be passed to help out TX utilities for the complete shitshow that happened just six months ago

and here we are again, Bernie Sanders style: "Once again, I am asking you to ________"

Fuck ERCOT.
                              If the bailout was to fix some shit the winter grenaded, maybeee, I would be for it, but IIRC they are trying to compensate these fucktards for not being able to pay for the time they price gouged a lot of mother fuckers. Last time I checked that was illegal anyway. Too simplistic of an explanation? Maybe. Or maybe there is a another reason.

Bunch of pussies, I was out riding MX mid to late day, oh lawd it is 97 degrees. I think wearing a vest in the summer has made me a tad bit immune to it. Although, I do get out in it on purpose to keep my stamina up. Why do I feel like there is a better word that is eluding me right now? Hillbilly ass cops, I swear.
                              Last edited by kingjason; 06-15-2021, 09:07 PM.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                                If the bailout was to fix some shit the winter grenaded, maybeee, I would be for it, but IIRC they are trying to compensate these fucktards for not being able to pay for the time they price gouged a lot of mother fuckers. Last time I checked that was illegal anyway. Too simplistic of an explanation? Maybe. Or maybe there is a another reason.

I could rehash a bunch of shit from the thread back in Jan/Feb, but they knew they had a risk. They knew they had a winter risk every ~10 yrs and they chose to not "harden" the systems against cold snaps, and they took the monetary gamble of something happening once a decade (a la Fight Club). Then when "something" happened a decade later, they're crying about it saying they need help to stay solvent. It's a big mess that we can derail the thread into if anyone wants, but again, fuck ERCOT.

And this time things are down for maintenance, sure... and it's a bit hotter in earlier June than normal, sure... but if their uptime scheduling can't account for 1.2% more load than the past peak that was just three years ago, then WTF are they planning for over there?

Fucking clown world.

EDIT: I'm scapegoating ERCOT b/c they're the ones who sent out the "save energy" requests, but this is really the fault of the PUC and the bullshit deregulation of the TX market.
                                Last edited by Strychnine; 06-16-2021, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X