cheap gun review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap gun review

I was shopping for 1911's at the gun show a few weeks back and couldn't help but stare at a Smith and Wesson SD40VE for $299. I picked it up, held it, and liked it.

I walked off, grabbed a drink and googled. Reviews seemed to be generally good. A friend of mine had a booth so I asked his opinion, he has one in his night stand. What the hell, bought it.

First range test was a fail. I grabbed the rest of a box of .40 that was in the safe from a couple years back, some no-name crap that I picked up cheap. It wouldnt cycle well, I was getting a fail to feed every 2nd or third round. My father in law was having it happen every round. I shot a mag of the same ammo through one of his pistols, and it worked fine. So this gun just doesnt like it.

Next time was a box of Winchester white box, and it worked perfectly, no issues at all. I like the feel of the gun in my hand. It's very glock-like, but without the funny angle of the grip. It's lightweight. Capacity is good, and comes with 2 of the 14 round mags.

Im pretty happy with it. Given that it's a cheap gun, I didnt expect it to be really nice, but I did expect a decent shooter, and it is.

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

I forget what model this replaced, but it was a huge pile of shit. The trigger pull was so hard that I thought the safety was still on. Hope they improved it with this replacement.

Comment

Dude, that looks like a new version of the Sigma series junk from a few years back. What's the trigger pull feel like...11-12 lbs? And the trigger travel about 1/2" before it fires?

That was the case for my old S&W Sigma series 9mm. I couldn't hit center mass to save my life...their lower left torso though would've been swissed cheesed I sold that thing quick.

Comment

I had one of these in 9mm a few years back. They are good guns for the money and big improvement over the Sigma. The trigger is not good but I had the Apex spring kit which helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
          Im pretty happy with it. Given that it's a cheap gun, I didnt expect it to be really nice, but I did expect a decent shooter, and it is.
          I consider a decent shooter one that will eat through any ammunition you put through it. That looks a lot like the Taurus PT series. I loved the ergonomics of my PT145, but like your gun, was very picky on ammunition type and finally shit the bed with multiple FTF and FTE failures as well as being returned to Taurus twice with no resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
            I forget what model this replaced, but it was a huge pile of shit. The trigger pull was so hard that I thought the safety was still on. Hope they improved it with this replacement.
            Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
            Dude, that looks like a new version of the Sigma series junk from a few years back. What's the trigger pull feel like...11-12 lbs? And the trigger travel about 1/2" before it fires?

That was the case for my old S&W Sigma series 9mm. I couldn't hit center mass to save my life...their lower left torso though would've been swissed cheesed I sold that thing quick.
            I think the trigger pull is 8lbs. It isnt a short pull, exaggerated by the "safety" of half the trigger being hinged. I dont mind it at all, but my FIL was shooting low-left. I was right in the middle of center mass at about 30 feet.

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
              I consider a decent shooter one that will eat through any ammunition you put through it. That looks a lot like the Taurus PT series. I loved the ergonomics of my PT145, but like your gun, was very picky on ammunition type and finally shit the bed with multiple FTF and FTE failures as well as being returned to Taurus twice with no resolution.
              I wanted to test it on the shittiest, dirtiest ammo that I could, and it didnt like it. It fed and ate the JHP fine. It took a box of WWB without an issue.

It's supposed to be a self defense gun, why would you want the cheapest shit you can get for that purpose?

Comment

300 for a gun that goes bang that isn't designed to be a range target master, just a throw down piece to augment a collection, is a good deal. That is all as long as it eats ammo reliably.
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

It's supposed to be a self defense gun, why would you want the cheapest shit you can get for that purpose?
                  Because I'd prefer it go go bang every time the trigger is pulled regardless of what's fed through it. If I'm going to have a gun for self defense I want to pick something that is a proven performer. I learned my lesson with the Taurus.

Comment

Because I'd prefer it go go bang every time the trigger is pulled regardless of what's fed through it. If I'm going to have a gun for self defense I want to pick something that is a proven performer. I learned my lesson with the Taurus.
                    I've got a TCP that looks like hell from being pocket carried for years, it eats anything and everything. I've never had a single issue with it.

Comment

That's the one I would carry, but that's just me. It would bug the shit out of me to have a gun that is picky.

Comment

That's the one I would carry, but that's just me. It would bug the shit out of me to have a gun that is picky.
                        Uh, that IS the one i carry. The other goes out to the range occasionally and lives in the night stand. Since it's got a rail on it, im likely going to get a light for it.

I mean, it's not like I'm not the one that buys the ammo for it...

Comment

I think the trigger pull is 8lbs. It isnt a short pull, exaggerated by the "safety" of half the trigger being hinged. I dont mind it at all, but my FIL was shooting low-left. I was right in the middle of center mass at about 30 feet.

Now that you mention it, it's definitely going to handle different for different people. I had gone to the range with a buddy and he couldn't figure out why I was hitting low/left. He shot it and was dead on. Granted he's a much bigger guy than I am but I was definitely not limp wristing it. It just didn't work well in my hand. I shot his Kimber UCII and was dead on so that convinced me to upgrade.

If you can hit center mass with it, I'd say it's a hell of a deal. Believe me, I bought it for the price since it was my first gun and I wasn't too excited dropping the coin for my Kimber.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                            Now that you mention it, it's definitely going to handle different for different people. I had gone to the range with a buddy and he couldn't figure out why I was hitting low/left. He shot it and was dead on. Granted he's a much bigger guy than I am but I was definitely not limp wristing it. It just didn't work well in my hand. I shot his Kimber UCII and was dead on so that convinced me to upgrade.

If you can hit center mass with it, I'd say it's a hell of a deal. Believe me, I bought it for the price since it was my first gun and I wasn't too excited dropping the coin for my Kimber.
                            I cant shoot a glock for shit. The trigger safety really throws me off. The XD's have the same style trigger, and I can shoot it better, but the trigger messes with my mind. There is a spring kit out for these, and a trigger that is similar to the M&P style. I kinda thought about ordering them up, but im not sure I want or need to.

Comment

Uh, that IS the one i carry.
                              Ah, I was confused with your "it's supposed to be a self-defense gun..." I thought you bought it for that reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X