Building a gun closet...Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a gun closet...Any tips?

Going to attempt to turn one of my closets into a (more) secure gun closet. Anyone done this before?

So far the plans are:
    Line the walls and ceiling with 3/4" plywood secured to the studs with 2 1/2" screws.
    Buy solid core doors and no-kick frame reinforcers. (Closet has double doors that swing out)

Is a simple deadbolt secure enough or should I go another route for a locking mechanism?
    Any other tips or advice?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Swing out = hinges on the outside of the door. Knock out pins pull off door.

In my opinion, there are enough tools in my garage hanging up to demo a house no matter how solid I build it outside of a large vault.

What are your expectations?
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
      Swing out = hinges on the outside of the door. Knock out pins pull off door.

In my opinion, there are enough tools in my garage hanging up to demo a house no matter how solid I build it outside of a large vault.

What are your expectations?
      Agreed. Minus a vault door I haven't seen one I couldn't get through in a matter of seconds.
      07 f250-family truckster
      08 Denali -baby hauler
      52 f1-rust bucket
      05 Jeep tj. Buggy
      livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Fire Suppression

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Systems-Flame-Defender-2kg/dp/B0030KM0V4/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1401028183&sr=1-1[/ame]

Comment

I believe there are hinges that I can get where you can't just drive the pin out. Mainly looking to protect from the average smash and grab.
          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

If you're only objective is to keep your kid(s) out of your stuff, I suppose that would work.

If you're looking for security/fire protection, it would do nothing for you at all.

Comment

You would be better off just buying a cheap gun safe.

Comment

You can install a gun cabinet inside on the side of the closet and just stuff it with useless shit so that no one knows whats inside of it like i did. Never got broken into anyway since my neighbors were there all the time. (Housewife and some section 8 old guys) they kept the neighborhood watch for that specific building
                First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

I always liked the gun room some dude built up in his attic. His home was built with an octogon shaped window that provided natural light into the room, but the genius part was the hidden secret ladder in a closet that he used to gain entry into his gun room. I think I may have seen a video, or pics of his room here on DFWM.

Comment

If you're planning on actually making this a safe and storing expensive weapons in it then plywood isn't going to work. You need to cement the walls from the attic and add rebar. Outside of that it's just a closet. I couldn't imagine putting that much money in a room without fire or theft protection.
                    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
                    X