Army selects.... Sig??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army selects.... Sig??

I thought for sure that the Glock 19 would be the next service pistol after being selected by the FBI, USMC MARSOC, and I believe the Navy SEALs. Also it's pretty interesting as to what the price they will be paying. Never shot the Sig so I have no idea if it's really any better than a 19.

In a move that will define Army small arm procurement for decades, the Department of Defense has just announced that they have selected Sig Sauer to produce a “Modular Handgun System” for Army warfighters. The new handgun will replace the current M9 sidearm and is the culmination of over five years of testing and trials … Read More …

I wonder why all branches don't use the same service pistol? Seems like it would make things easier, and cheaper.

Comment

Doesn't surprise me, I'm sure having an actual 'safety' was a big factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
        I wonder why all branches don't use the same service pistol? Seems like it would make things easier, and cheaper.
        For the same reason that there are 4 separate branches, different uniforms, etc.. They have different functions and roles, and the tools they use for one may not be the best suited for another.

Comment

Still better than the m9
          Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
          It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

The P320 is a solid pistol.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Well I for one am glad to see that they are going with a striker fired pistol with the same consistent trigger pull every time. Also glad to see they are going with something modular in the way they can customize the grip sizes to fit a variety of people. Anybody catch the price they are getting them for? $300? I find that a little hard to believe.

Comment

I'm pretty excited. I wish it was the glock. But the 320 is a solid choice
                Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Man, the more I read about it the more I'm intrigued. I didn't realize that the modularity also carries over to different frames, slides, barrels, and calibers. The trigger group is the part that's actually serialized so the one gun can be converted over to a variety of different configurations from full size to sub compact, from 9mm to .45 ACP. Also I was just reading the Wiki page on it and saw that the Texas DPS has also adopted it. I might have to check one out. Just wondering what the trigger is like now and if it can be "tweaked".

Comment

I think their has been several PD's that have also adopted it as well. When I bought my glock 22 at GT distributors they told me this batch came from a PD I. Like VA or something. And they traded them in for sigs. I've only owned one sig and it was the 2022. And I freaking loved that gun. I keep telling myself I want to get another. And the army is probably getting them so cheap cause the amount they are buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Even at $1-2 over production cost per weapon, they're still bound to make a buttload of money, given the volume of weapons the military buys.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
                        Well I for one am glad to see that they are going with a striker fired pistol with the same consistent trigger pull every time. Also glad to see they are going with something modular in the way they can customize the grip sizes to fit a variety of people. Anybody catch the price they are getting them for? $300? I find that a little hard to believe.
                        I doubt that it cost Glock 130 bucks to make a G19 so why is it a surprise that Sig is selling a P320 for $300? There is not much to the Sig and none of it would be tough to mass produce cheaply.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                          Even at $1-2 over production cost per weapon, they're still bound to make a buttload of money, given the volume of weapons the military buys.
                          They're not going to buy anywhere close to the same number of pistols that they do rifles. The Army understands that a pistol is a substitute for a rifle when you can't have one, not a replacement for it. The best characterization of a pistol's usefulness was expressed by Jeff Cooper, who said that a pistol is useful for fighting your way back to the rifle you shouldn't have laid down to begin with.

EDIT: I missed the $300 bit. They're likely giving the Army a low unit price and selling them a support package on the side to make it easier for the appropriations board to swallow.
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
                            I doubt that it cost Glock 130 bucks to make a G19 so why is it a surprise that Sig is selling a P320 for $300? There is not much to the Sig and none of it would be tough to mass produce cheaply.
                            I'm just basing my opinion on previous military (overpriced) purchases and what it's selling for on the civilian market. But I agree with what Yale is saying, they are going to make there money back on parts and support not to mention increased civilian exposure and sales. Not to mention lowering the asking per pistol price to guarantee the contract.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Comment

The Sig was one of the only guns that met the original criteria of a true modular design, I think the only reason Glock was considered is most of the spec ops groups have switched to it (SEALs, MARSOC, Special Forces, etc.). For what the requirements were and from Sigs history it sounds like this was a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X