Stephen Hawkin "There is no God"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Hawkin "There is no God"

Stephen Hawking says he's an atheist, arguing that science offers a "more convincing explanation" for the origins of the universe and that the miracles of religion "aren't compatible" with scientific fact.

"Before we understood science, it was natural to believe that God created the universe, but now science offers a more convincing explanation," the celebrated physicist said in a video posted by Spanish newspaper El Mundo. "What I meant by 'we would know the mind of God' is we would know everything that God would know if there was a God, but there isn't. I'm an atheist."

Hawking's remarks came in response to a question from El Mundo journalist Pablo Jauregui, who quizzed Hawking about his religious leanings in the lead-up to this week's Starmus Festival in the Canary Islands. The "mind of God" reference was Hawking's effort to clarify a passage in his 1988 book "A Brief History of Time," in which he wrote that scientists would "know the mind of God" if a unifying set of scientific principles known colloquially as the theory of everything were discovered.

As NBC News reported, this isn't the first time Hawking has spoken about his religious beliefs.

In 2011, he told The Guardian that he didn't believe in a heaven or an afterlife, calling it "a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." In 2007, he told the BBC that he was "not religious in the normal sense," adding, "I believe the universe is governed by the laws of science. The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws."

I know why he is angry at his creator...

Comment

He also said the Higgs Boson would never be found. When it was found he called it "boring."

"In 1975, he bet Caltech physicist Kip Thorne that there was no black hole at the center of the X-ray source known as Cygnus X-1. By 1998, he conceded that the black hole was there"
      Decades later he called that his biggest blunder.

In '97 he bet someone that information was completely lost when it goes into a black hole. Years later he conceded that one too.

He's a smart dude, but I'm not betting the farm on anything he says.

Comment

... and it took him like, 45 minutes to type it out.
        Originally posted by PGreenCobra
        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
        Originally posted by Trip McNeely
        Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
        dont downshift!!
        Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Seems that if he has it all figured out, he would have mastered wiping his own ass.

Comment

No wiping needed until his tube get pulled for a bag swap.

Comment

I can hear Captain Speak'n'spell asking to have his stoma scratched.

Comment

I was like "the fuck?!" When I first read the article...

Comment

No one person is 100% correct about all things. To think they should be is folly. Newton was an alchemist, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                    He also said the Higgs Boson would never be found. When it was found he called it "boring."

"In 1975, he bet Caltech physicist Kip Thorne that there was no black hole at the center of the X-ray source known as Cygnus X-1. By 1998, he conceded that the black hole was there"
                    Decades later he called that his biggest blunder.

In '97 he bet someone that information was completely lost when it goes into a black hole. Years later he conceded that one too.

He's a smart dude, but I'm not betting the farm on anything he says.
                    Does him being wong about the Higgs-Boson mean that Thor makes lightning?
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                    X