No announcement yet.

BBQ in Austin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it was highly overrated when I went too. I prefer Rudy's to Salt Lick...
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
      I thought it was highly overrated when I went too. I prefer Rudy's to Salt Lick...
      That has been my experience as well.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
        Salt Lick is garbage, or at least it was 10 years ago...
        It's too fucking salty. It's so salty that salt overpowers everything else in the rub.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          It's too fucking salty. It's so salty that salt overpowers everything else in the rub.
          Cooper's in New Braunfels was that way the only time I've eaten there. The FW location was very "meh," original location was "good."

Don't go to Salt Lick. Rudy's IS better than Salt Lick.

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod66stang View Post
            Cooper's in New Braunfels was that way the only time I've eaten there. The FW location was very "meh," original location was "good."

Don't go to Salt Lick. Rudy's IS better than Salt Lick.
            If you're going to Cooper's, take your ass to the great state of Llano and get the OG shit, not too far from Austin, and I haven't had anything bad there yet. They serve steaks on Friday nights, and while they were a tad on the salty side, they were very tasty.

Yale, a second?

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
              If you're going to Cooper's, take your ass to the great state of Llano and get the OG shit, not too far from Austin, and I haven't had anything bad there yet. They serve steaks on Friday nights, and while they were a tad on the salty side, they were very tasty.

Yale, a second?
              Indeed. The original is in Llano, not New Braunfels. The drive is prettier, too.
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I was not impressed with salt lick.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was referring to when I said "the original." Been there a few times, years ago, before all these other locations started popping up. I think the N.B. location has only been open a couple months, just down from Schlitterbahn. It was horrible and the employees were rude. Llano is good, and FW was meh when I went. Sorry for being unclear.

If you're headed west of town, stay closer and go to Opie's in Driftwood. Better and closer than Cooper's, and you still get to drive the hill country.

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod66stang View Post
                    Yeah, that's what I was referring to when I said "the original." Been there a few times, years ago, before all these other locations started popping up. I think the N.B. location has only been open a couple months, just down from Schlitterbahn. It was horrible and the employees were rude. Llano is good, and FW was meh when I went. Sorry for being unclear.

If you're headed west of town, stay closer and go to Opie's in Driftwood. Better and closer than Cooper's, and you still get to drive the hill country.
                    Nice! Thanks for the tip!
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Since I had plenty of free time I decided to stand in line at Franklin's yesterday. It was pretty chilly and a Wednesday so the odds were in my favor. Got in line around 11:10 and was served around 12:50 so a little over an hour and a half. They do serve beer and you can go to their cashier and buy drinks so it wasn't too bad. That and people are friendly.

So I'll start with their service, it's great. They had two guys actually serving food, one cashier, one bus boy and a girl that looks a little like Natalie Dormer walking around asking people what they were ordering to keep tabs and also selling drinks.

So I've been to Kreuz Market in Lockhart, the original Salt Lick in driftwood and the Pecan Lodge so I've had some great brisket in my life but it all pales in comparison to what Franklin's is serving. It has a thick and solid bark that's delicious and will come off with a little effort. The smoke ring was perfect and the meat is basically the same texture as some good barbacoa but it stays together.

Make the trip, grab some beers and stand in line. It's well worth it.

Comment

Crazy the line is that long!

Comment

Damn I want too, but I just can't stand in line that long to eat...
                          Originally posted by Silverback
                          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Since I don't see it in this thread, if you don't have time for the wait at Franklin's, Stubbs was a pretty badass experience for us. The ribs were amazing and the brisket was excellent.

Comment

I've been to Blacks in Lockhart and no lines. Well I mean nothing out of the ordinary. It was pretty damned good. I also go to Hutchins here in McKinney and I will put their brisket up to Franklins and I don't have to wait 2 hours or travel to Austin...
                              Originally posted by Silverback
                              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Word!!

Comment

Working...
                                X