Tesla to Texas: How Do You Like Us Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
    So lame. If you've ever driven one, you want them sold in your state.

If you've ever driven one and you're a big 3 auto executive, you're probably filled with pants-shitting fearĀ®.

(Pants-shitting fear is a registered trademark of Furburger Magazine Inc.)
    Yeah I'm definitely interested in them. Probably a buyer on a preowed though, that 90k initial hit is going to be severe. Need to see how the S model performs in value retention.
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

• Originally posted by CJ View Post
      Yeah I'm definitely interested in them. Probably a buyer on a preowed though, that 90k initial hit is going to be severe. Need to see how the S model performs in value retention.
      I would expect it to retain value very well, for better or worse. I'd love to pick up a used one in the 40's but for one, I still can't afford that, and for two, I can't imagine they'd drop that much.

The one thing to be wary of would be a battery pack dying, and in Cali you can go to a "charging station" and swap out the whole damn battery pack for less than $100 and it takes 90 seconds. No shit.

Comment

I would expect it to retain value very well, for better or worse. I'd love to pick up a used one in the 40's but for one, I still can't afford that, and for two, I can't imagine they'd drop that much.

The one thing to be wary of would be a battery pack dying, and in Cali you can go to a "charging station" and swap out the whole damn battery pack for less than $100 and it takes 90 seconds. No shit.
        wa..... I know they have those supercharge stations around the country, but this is new to me.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

wa..... I know they have those supercharge stations around the country, but this is new to me.
          Set up like an oil change, roll up, they swap your battery while you good off on your smart phone, then take your money and you agree good to go, fully charged
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Elon is guaranteeing a certain value, and I read somewhere that someone's done the math. Owning one is cheaper than owning a new minivan, even with the high cost of entry.

Comment

• Originally posted by racrguy View Post
              Elon is guaranteeing a certain value, and I read somewhere that someone's done the math. Owning one is cheaper than owning a new minivan, even with the high cost of entry.
              I'm sure I've posted it in here, but it's http://www.teslacost.com/
              ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

• ^^^^That article says otherwise...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  ^^^^That article says otherwise...
                  Thanks. I read it previously, when it concluded the Model S was cheaper than the Odyssey. In the same breath, that analysis still puts it way cheaper than the luxury brands it competes against. I still think it may end up cheaper than the Odyssey, because insurance costs will be lower, but he omitted that.
                  Last edited by YALE; 10-24-2014, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• I don't see this being more than a minor inconvenience for them. People with the resouces to buy these will go out of state to do it, or pay someone to deliver to them.

Comment

• Originally posted by UserX View Post
                      I don't see this being more than a minor inconvenience for them. People with the resouces to buy these will go out of state to do it, or pay someone to deliver to them.
                      When I am looking for a vehicle I always look in a 500-1000 mile radius, as far as I am concerned one day of my time to get a good deal or the car that I want is worth it. I know most people just waddle down to their local dealer and pick up whatever they have on the lot.

Tesla's warranty is ridiculous 85kwh models 8 year unlimited warranty on the drive unit and battery pack. Retroactive to previously sold cars and transfers owner to owner. Unreal.

I am confused how republican states can continue to support the franchise dealer model instead of direct sales and still talk about a free market society.
                      2006 Civic SI
                      2009 Pilot
                      1988 GT
                      CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                        When I am looking for a vehicle I always look in a 500-1000 mile radius, as far as I am concerned one day of my time to get a good deal or the car that I want is worth it. I know most people just waddle down to their local dealer and pick up whatever they have on the lot.

Tesla's warranty is ridiculous 85kwh models 8 year unlimited warranty on the drive unit and battery pack. Retroactive to previously sold cars and transfers owner to owner. Unreal.

I am confused how republican states can continue to support the franchise dealer model instead of direct sales and still talk about a free market society.
                        Social conservatives are not libertarians.

Comment

• Originally posted by YALE View Post
                          Social conservatives are not libertarians.
                          I don't see how social anything comes into this. It's the dealer network. Both Yale and I were both employed by an auto dealer in the past. I still get business from them, the auto finance industry is also dependent on them. Tons and tons of people are employed by that system. That's the issue here, there's a lot of jobs on the line. Is this really a better idea? I currently don't understand what Tesla intends to do, and I think if they really want to change opinion they need to explain it better. How exactly is this going to work? Why can't Tesla operate like every other manufacturer on the planet? Why do they deserve separate treatment? Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Nissan, etc. all operate under a dealer network?

Comment

I don't see how social anything comes into this. It's the dealer network. Both Yale and I were both employed by an auto dealer in the past. I still get business from them, the auto finance industry is also dependent on them. Tons and tons of people are employed by that system. That's the issue here, there's a lot of jobs on the line. Is this really a better idea? I currently don't understand what Tesla intends to do, and I think if they really want to change opinion they need to explain it better. How exactly is this going to work? Why can't Tesla operate like every other manufacturer on the planet? Why do they deserve separate treatment? Honda, Toyota, GM, Ford, Nissan, etc. all operate under a dealer network?
                            I am just curious how many jobs really are at risk. Put aside the fact that the battery powered car has less moving parts and I think a more reliable platform in general.

You still need showrooms, sales, financing, service/warranty, delivery, parts, trade-ins(maybe through some 3rd party contract). So what is left? More real estate for other businesses because there aren't huge car lots. Less liability and risk because there are not hundreds of cars sitting on a lot.
                            2006 Civic SI
                            2009 Pilot
                            1988 GT
                            CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                              I am just curious how many jobs really are at risk. Put aside the fact that the battery powered car has less moving parts and I think a more reliable platform in general.

You still need showrooms, sales, financing, service/warranty, delivery, parts, trade-ins(maybe through some 3rd party contract). So what is left? More real estate for other businesses because there aren't huge car lots. Less liability and risk because there are not hundreds of cars sitting on a lot.
                              How are you going to get those finance agreements? I can't send my sales rep into those dealers like we do now, it's corporate. How about service contracts? How about the guy who cleans out the oil trap? How does he get a contract? This isn't a dealer group you can walk into the GM's office and work something out. Now you need to talk to corporate accounts payable, etc. It's very different. When you centralize an operation, you remove a ton of jobs, they can be run cheaper than branch/dealer based networks. More jobs at the corporate office, much less jobs in the local community.

Comment

How are you going to get those finance agreements? I can't send my sales rep into those dealers like we do now, it's corporate. How about service contracts? How about the guy who cleans out the oil trap? How does he get a contract? This isn't a dealer group you can walk into the GM's office and work something out. Now you need to talk to corporate accounts payable, etc. It's very different. When you centralize an operation, you remove a ton of jobs, they can be run cheaper than branch/dealer based networks. More jobs at the corporate office, much less jobs in the local community.
                                There's no oil trap, and they could still have lots of those jobs if they were allowed to structure a dealership the way they want to. A franchisee is a pointless middle man for their model.
                                Last edited by YALE; 10-24-2014, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X