get off your butt and build something

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• get off your butt and build something

Just consider this the "Get off your ass and finish your project car thread" a place where DFWmustang's procrastinators go to encourage and motivate each other to finish our old project cars. I've been saying I was going to get my Buick running for 15 years without spending more than a day or two a year on it. I'm sure some of you are just as bad or maybe worse than me. So lets all make 2019 the year of the empty garage and get our oversized dust collectors out on the road!
    Lets start by declaring the car that we have been neglecting and what needs to be done with it, then work a plan and follow through. Lets get shit done!

I'll go first. everyone knows the car, my 72 boat tail

here's what it needs:
    pull engine change pan and pick up tube
    rebuild carb
    repair/replace/clean fuel lines and tank
    repair any rat chewed wires
    buy and install front bumper
    replace 20+ year old tires
    fix what ever else I find along the way.

who's next?

Comment

Yes! This is one of the reasons I decided to build a 2k challenge car. With a deadline and budget it’s easier to make it happen.

Comment

No such thing as a finished project car.

Comment

Anyone want to buy my project lol.

Comment

one of mine is getting pulled out of moth balls in the next couple of weeks.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

2001 gt

After spending a year rebuilding my 2004 GT, a broken motor mount caused a hung throttle on the first run. I ended up totaling the car so I picked this one up and started swapping parts.

Engine is a 2004 Mach1 4V with forged internals, 10.5:1 pistons, topped with a 3.4L Whipple pushing 30psi. I have built 4R75W behind it. The 8.8 has been welded, braced, and fitted with 35 spline axles, C-Clip eliminators, and a spool.

I am running a Wolfe Racecraft 10 point chromoly cage, through the floor subframes, and Baseline Suspension Outlaw rear kit. Coilovers at all 4 corners.

I have been finding little things that keep me from getting it finished, like dealing with belt slip and intercooler pressurization. I just finished knocking those out. There seems to always be some kind of wiring issue popping up... I just rebuilt the engine harness due to that. Now I have to redo the rear brake lines and move my fuel lines to make room for the anti-roll bar install. I have to have the tires swapped over to some new Weld Racing RT-S S71s that are sitting in boxes in the garage. Then the seat belt tabs need to be welded in so I can get the car out for some shakedowns. I haven't adjusted the brakes, the alignment, or shocks. Once all that is done, I can get it inspected and registered since it will be a street-able car. It's been 2+ years of working on it when I can.
              01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

Originally posted by Fastlane View Post

After spending a year rebuilding my 2004 GT, a broken motor mount caused a hung throttle on the first run. I ended up totaling the car so I picked this one up and started swapping parts.

Engine is a 2004 Mach1 4V with forged internals, 10.5:1 pistons, topped with a 3.4L Whipple pushing 30psi. I have built 4R75W behind it. The 8.8 has been welded, braced, and fitted with 35 spline axles, C-Clip eliminators, and a spool.

I am running a Wolfe Racecraft 10 point chromoly cage, through the floor subframes, and Baseline Suspension Outlaw rear kit. Coilovers at all 4 corners.
                Almost the exact same build as mine, except with nitrous and a C4.

Comment

Here’s my project.

Actually this too.
                  Last edited by soap; 02-07-2019, 09:33 AM.
                  sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                  🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

I'll start with the 96 Chevy that hasn't been driven in almost a year, due to one bolt that wasn't installed correctly.

Whomever put the engine together either didn't use a new crank pulley bolt, didn't torque all the way or a combination of both. The bolt began to back out while driving, galled the threads and basically became stuck. i let it sit for two long thinking the bolt was permanently stuck, and would shear off when trying to remove. Two nights ago i borrowed a tool from homealone to hold the flywheel and with help, the bolt is out. Hopefully the crankshaft isn't damaged beyond easy repair, and all that is needed is a new bolt, pulley and a few other odds and ends.

I'll post up the progress of my Cougar later, I've had all the photobucket i can handle for a while.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Mine has stalled.

Been collecting parts though. complete Racewire Solutions vehicle wiring with switch panel should be done in a couple weeks. My front runner 17s arrived yesterday. Other odds and ends getting collected.

I just need the cage work finished and it can move forward

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Mine's been running great for 10 years, but I definitely get the spirit of this thread. Mine sat for 5 years after paint because there was a lot of driveline fab work and a full wiring harness install to be done. All that work could have taken a couple of months, but took 5 years instead.

You guys get to work and let's go cruisin'!

Comment

LS3 and 6 speed, 4 wheel disc and lots of other crap.

Comment

[QUOTE=GrayStangGT;1712331]Anyone want to buy my project lol.

[/QUOT

how much?

Comment

Well, all this is going to do is encourage me to find a project, which I don't need, so that I can start collecting parts, which I don't have room for, so that I can build something with my son when he get old enough...
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X