Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike's been sitting a while, what all do I need to check?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike's been sitting a while, what all do I need to check?

I rode my R6S a bit down in San Diego, but had to drain the oils and gas when I shipped it for the move to Sacramento in 2011, and it's sat since. I've come to the point where I realize that I'll never ride it again with any kind of regularity, and now have the Mustang to fill that need for speed, so it's time to find a new home for it.

What should I be looking for in terms of making sure that it's 100% safe to ride again? What kind of issues would have arose from a: sitting for that long, and b: sitting for that long without gas and oil? Rust is the main thing that comes to mind, anything else to make sure and check?

Battery, tires, and fluids are the obvious ones, anything else prone to cracking or deteriorating over time?

check inside the tank for corrosion, but the engine should be ok internally I'd think even though it was drained, no different than if it had sat with oil in the pan. Brake fluid should be changed.
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

sitting inside the whole time? was there no oil in it while it sat?

either way, change the oil and put a new filter. ride it for an hour and beat on it.

put it up for sale.

Comment

Correct, no oil in it, but garaged the whole time.

Comment

if you want to be a solid bro, change the the brake fluid and tires. you will not get your money back, but new tires will certainly help it sell.

i would just check the brakes after you change the oil to make sure they are not mushy. wipe the fork legs down before you move it, for if it sat for that long the seals will likely start to weep one the legs start moving in the seals again.

Comment

Originally posted by jammeejamm View Post
            if you want to be a solid bro, change the the brake fluid and tires. you will not get your money back, but new tires will certainly help it sell.

i would just check the brakes after you change the oil to make sure they are not mushy. wipe the fork legs down before you move it, for if it sat for that long the seals will likely start to weep one the legs start moving in the seals again.
            My plan is to sell it on the cheap to move it fast, so I'm going to spend as little as possible to make it safely run.

5k miles on it, stand, parts box, sprocket and shield swap, Arai helmet. Probably see what you lowballers will gimme for it before going national. I won't even entertain a stupid-low offer, I'll let it rot first, but I'm motivated to get it outta here for the right amount in cash.

Comment

send me the details and ill ask my buyer at our dealership what he'll give you.

i'm guessing the book on it is probably no more than 3500

Comment

Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy View Post
                send me the details and ill ask my buyer at our dealership what he'll give you.

i'm guessing the book on it is probably no more than 3500
                The plan is to get it cleaned up this weekend, and I'll snap some pictures. It's not registered, but I can get that done once it's ride-able again if that's a requisite.

Comment

Injected? If so the injectors may be stuck, if carbed there could be some blocked jets or corrosion from sitting. My GSXR had sat for about 3 years when I got it and put it back together. The fuel pump had seized and I had to clean the injectors to get them to all fire. Then it was an oil change and fresh rubber once it was ready to ride. I know you said the tank was drained, but the pump, liked, and other fuel components would have still had residual most likely.

Comment

Working...
                  X