No announcement yet.

Negotiating a Salary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like both of you guys want it. Tell the man you want the job and how much you need.

Comment

Right on. We will see if it gets to that point. Should know in a few days. Monday I took a technical test and phone interviewed with 2 engineers and the owner / founder. If they want to talk further they've said they will fly me round trip to DFW from Jacksonville FL where I am currently working for a face to face, etc..

If I took his offer it would be a 40K pay cut. I could still live just fine. I believe I have some room to negotiate and I will do so carefully. I believe no matter what, I will prove my worth and be rewarded some day for it. The stuff I will learn there combined with what I already know and do is worth lots of money to employers, I see it all the time.

At any rate I am sick of my current role. I have been involved in a huge "fulfillment center" project here in JAX and I love what I do, but I hate just about every other thing about it.

Comment

As a typical millenial...ive done my fair share of job changes. When it comes to salary negotiations a few things help a lot.

1 - having other offers on the table is very useful. It puts time pressure and salary pressure on them to make you a good offer quicker.

2 - Already having a job helps huge. You obviously do so try to work that angle more or maybe they really don't care.

3 - Using hard math to show either whay you're worth...or what you need takes emotion out of it and doesn't make you look like you're just after a money grab.

Good luck...its always tough to tell what a company will do. If this is still O&G you may have a hard time because of the amount of people that were let go...but it has seen a tiny little upswing.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
          You could always channel Jester, with a Sean88gt lawyer twist.

1. Ask for the salary you want. When he declines, jump up on the desk, pull out your hawg and wiggle it a bit. When he freaks out call him a homophobe and tell him you'll report him to the EEOC.

2.???

3. New job!*

* May or may not be ballwasher for the prison's "golf game" Where it's always a hole in 1.
          This is most effective when quoting Patrick Bateman. "Don't just stare at it, eat it"

Comment

Nope not oil and gas anymore. When that picks up I have options as well, meanwhile I continue to add skills that industry needs... And pays huge money for..

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
              As a typical millenial...ive done my fair share of job changes.

What are your shortest and longest tenures at anyone place?

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                What are your shortest and longest tenures at anyone place?
                5 years

1 year

Avg ~ 2.5 years.

The 1 years are just because oil and gas was so far down and I knew it was easy to go get more money and leave the risk of layoffs behind. I would have stayed at a small O&G firm if it wasn't for financial security

Edit: also I have 2 positions that are 1 year each.
                Last edited by Ruffdaddy; 07-20-2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Update.... got the job, first time in years I have gone to work and returned home in the same day, every day, for a week. I love it! I am getting paid to learn everything I've always wanted to learn about Controls Technology that I didn't know already - PLC programming / debugging, setting up HMIs, VMWare, Motion control, programming servos via ladder logic, etc...

Comment

Who's the employer?

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
                      Update.... got the job, first time in years I have gone to work and returned home in the same day, every day, for a week. I love it! I am getting paid to learn everything I've always wanted to learn about Controls Technology that I didn't know already - PLC programming / debugging, setting up HMIs, VMWare, Motion control, programming servos via ladder logic, etc...
                      Awesome! The future in PLCs is huge. It's a field I tried to get my son interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
                        Congrats! Did you end up getting the salary you were hoping for or did you decide coming home was enough of an incentive?

Either way learning new advanced skill sets makes the decision that much easier and will only increase your value.

Comment

Working...
                        X