Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bikes for old folks review.

As we get older.......................

So, while I love my road, mountain and recumbent, I wanted something different for a upright, night bike. The recumbents are great but pothole recognition is terrible at night even with my lights. I only recently realized I could ride a race bike again after breaking every bone in the ole right arm in 03 and then just not trying again until this year. Either way I was on my path to finding a comfortable, not sluggish, beach cruiser, so I couldn't quit now.

Honestly the Merlin Newsboy perked my interest but for 4800 for just the frame I was out! I still lust for it though, even though really it would just be a waste of money. So anyways, if any of you gentleman are looking for something to ride comfortably, I have put in some time. All of the weights are with Frog pedals so I saved a pound.

The stock winner. Specialized Roll X1, on sale 778.00 or so.

30 pounds even, seat is fairly comfortable, might have to break in your sit bones, love the micro adjustable seat, 1x10 is spectacular, rolls well, stops well and they sell much cheaper models. An hour on this thing is no problem. Con- I am not sure I could swap the bars on the Roll due to Specializeds unique set up, and some may not like the seat.

The non stock winner.

Drifter 21, like around 529.00

34 pounds. These cruiser bars and that cloud 9 seat make this bike an all day ride. A little thigh interference that I only notice because I ride bikes with tiny seats also. Stock tires were fine but one bubbled on me after a 130 miles or so. That new pair was cheap though like 40 bones. Lots of gears and a decent pedal position similar to the Roll. I can not power this thing up like my Trek buttttt it is a reasonable compromise. Completely stock this bike was fine, but I wasn't a fan of the seat and the bars made my shoulder hurt for some weird reason. Like, I am a wide stout guy and pulling my shoulders in and hands being horizontal just gave a slight ache. Also the more upright you go the more seat you need. I tried 5 different seats on two of these bikes.

Electra Super Moto8i, 880.00 on sale.

33 pounds shockingly, grips are horrible, seat was shaped interestingly and while not the worst ever seat, not great. Not one single review online. Pros- Sexy a hell, lots of potential, and the fastest of the bunch, with great brakes. You see it is closer to the road bike geometry than the others. Seat collar is only 5 inches back of the bottom bracket, where as my Trek is 4 inches. The Nexus hub is delightful and for 8 speeds it has a wide range of gears. Nothing like being able to shift at a stop light and it being in that gear right away. Backwards shifting though to SRAM which takes some time getting use to. I have a better road bike seat and grips coming today. It has the exact same geometry as my mountain bike and I can ride that for a long time with not to many issues. Decent comfort and fun to ride. Did I mention the tires are freaking huge. The one other drawback is the wheels are bolt on. I did find a carbon paddle wrench made just for this reason though. Will be my fast cruiser for sure as I like style. I will report back after my parts get in today.

Del Sol Cantina 7 speed. 350.00

38 pounds. My first purchase and I have about 140 miles on it. I liked it better than the Drifter when I wanted to ride hard due to the head tube angle but I longed for something a little better. Not your Wally beach cruiser, much better built. The stock gearing was little high so I swapped in a cassette with a 34 mega range and added some chain. I am still a tad faster on it for now then my roll. I wasn't a huge fan of the stock seat, and I prefer the completely swept back bars I put on the Sun but this is still a nice beach cruiser and the Cloud 9 is decent but not my favorite Cloud 9. I am just picky since I have always had upper mid range bikes. This one is for sure for sale and my Drifter might be as I think the Roll and Electra are my finalists.

It is on the end.

I will break a thousand miles this year and have been sticking to riding and swimming since my plantar fasciitis has been acting up a little. So now you boys have no reason to not get out and do some cardio in comfort. Also if interested in the Del Sol I will make a sweet deal on it. The Drifter I may do for half of retail butttttt I am still enjoying that one.
    Last edited by kingjason; 10-05-2019, 12:19 AM.
    Whos your Daddy?

Great bikes to cruise around White Rock Lake and check out the hotties jogging around.

Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

Originally posted by Murph Tang View Post
      Great bikes to cruise around White Rock Lake and check out the hotties jogging around.

I almostttttttttttttttttt headed over there today.

The way it should have been built. Not sure how I feel about bar ends though as far as aesthetics go. Rode like a champ. Like a bull........

Last edited by kingjason; 09-13-2019, 07:09 PM.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
        I almostttttttttttttttttt headed over there today.
        If that's the case kill 2 birds with one stone. Come ride WRL and bring the Cantina, I'll buy it.

Comment

Figured this thread was about ebikes. I just picked one up and cant wait to blast by you suckers while barely pedaling

Comment

Maybe the ultimate old folk bike a Rans Cruz and my first impression is really good and that was on low tires. I am about to slap on the lights and give her a go. I still have all my Strava data on the others so I can figure it out. I will be most interested in the speeds and times VS the recumbent and Supermoto. All the beach cruisers are gone so I was pleasantly surprised to find this one. I mean super comfortable and still moderately fast will be a win.

Last edited by kingjason; 06-09-2020, 11:43 PM.
            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Whrz the apes and twisted spoke daytons???

Comment

Only had it one day! Tonight 1030, I think I will try out the new beast, not a breath of wind. 1200 when I get her all dialed in, hurricane force winds.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                  All the beach cruisers are gone
                  Electra Super Moto8i and Specialized Roll gone too?

Comment

Originally posted by hxbernal View Post
                    Electra Super Moto8i and Specialized Roll gone too?

I sold three bikes in three days on Craigslist for what I paid for them or more. It is the new toilet paper. Loved that Moto bike but I wanted something lighter, thus the gravel bike thread. The Spec Roll was a great putter around bike but my left hamstring always hit the seat a little to much and felt pulled. I could have probabley lowered the seat a tad more and rode it like Deebo but I don't like being squatted down so much.

I am down to the Roll bike company Cafe Racer orrrr the Van Dessel as the head of sales is my size and says the WTF bars wont hit my thighs. I am trying my damnedest to not order both. This Rans was not in the cards but a pleasant surprise and cheap. On the flip side if I could find a Spec Sirrus X 5.0 before July I would throw it into the mix. All three are 23.5 pounds but have just a little different style to them or attribute I want to try.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                    X