Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Texas: Shall sign/certify legislation passes senate committee - DFW Mustangs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas: Shall sign/certify legislation passes senate committee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas: Shall sign/certify legislation passes senate committee

Good news here.

Earlier this week, Senate Bill 476 passed the Senate State Affairs committee by a 7-2 margin. Sponsored by Sen. Lois Kolkhorst (R-18), this ASA, NRA, and TSRA backed bill is a pro-suppressor measure which would require Chief Law Enforcement Officers (CLEOs) in Texas to sign NFA applications within 15 days of receipt, unless the applicant is found to […]

Earlier this week, Senate Bill 476 passed the Senate State Affairs committee by a 7-2 margin. Sponsored by Sen. Lois Kolkhorst (R-18), this ASA, NRA, and TSRA backed bill is a pro-suppressor measure which would require Chief Law Enforcement Officers (CLEOs) in Texas to sign NFA applications within 15 days of receipt, unless the applicant is found to be a prohibited person. On Monday, ASA President Knox Williams, and Dave Matheny, ASA Board Member and Owner of Austin based Silencer Shop, were in committee to testify in support of the bill.

SB 476 and HB 1179, the House companion bill, are part of a nation-wide effort the ASA is undertaking, with help from the NRA, to pass “Shall Sign” or “Shall Certify” legislation across the country. This issue became a top priority for the American Suppressor Association following the Obama Administration’s Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, Docket No. ATF 41P. This is the executive action which seeks to extend the CLEO signoff requirement to every member of every NFA trust and legal entity.

When the National Firearms Act of 1934 was signed into law, computerized background checks did not exist. At that time, the CLEO signoff was the only means by which individuals applying for a transfer of an NFA item could be vetted. Since 1934, technology has come full circle, but the now antiquated CLEO signoff requirement has remained. Many CLEOs refuse to sign NFA applications, basing their refusal on perceived liability or on purely political reasons. Shall Sign legislation fixes these issues, ensuring that law abiding citizens in the state receive their CLEO signature within a reasonable amount of time.

Already this year, Shall Sign bills have passed in 3 new states —Arkansas, North Dakota, and West Virginia – all by unanimous votes. A similar bill also passed unanimously in Tennessee, which strengthens the already existing Shall Sign law in the state. The bills in Arkansas and North Dakota have been signed into law. Once enacted, these states will join the ranks of Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Utah as the states with Shall Sign legislation on the books.

As always, the American Suppressor Association will continue to work tirelessly to ensure that your suppressor rights are protected and expanded. We will keep you updated as pro-suppressor legislation advances.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Rad!
    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

So, who defines "a reasonable time"? What is "a reasonable time"?
        What are the penalties for a CLEO that doesn't sign or holds out until after the "reasonable time" has passed?
        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

The article says within 15 days of receipt

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
            So, who defines "a reasonable time"? What is "a reasonable time"?
            What are the penalties for a CLEO that doesn't sign or holds out until after the "reasonable time" has passed?
            Public flogging. Are you guys even reading this?
            Originally posted by lincolnboy
            After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
              Public flogging. Are you guys even reading this?
              Skipped over the part about the 15 days, but didn't see anything mentioning any kind of penalty for a CLEO that misses that window or won't sign... If there is no penalty then the CLEOs have no reason to agree to sign.
              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

This is good.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                  Skipped over the part about the 15 days, but didn't see anything mentioning any kind of penalty for a CLEO that misses that window or won't sign... If there is no penalty then the CLEOs have no reason to agree to sign.
                  It means that if you sent everything certified mail, and they don't sign it, you'd at least be able to take them to court over it. Most likely, there's already a statute on the books about failure to discharge duty, or some such.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I'd rather it be automated and if you're legal to own a gun - you're legal for a suppressor. I'd rather that person be more worried about running his department/station than worrying about more paperwork.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Did this shall sign legislation pass and get signed into law? Read the new date for the new nfa rules is now January. I have a suppressor ordered but have no idea if my local sheriff or police chief will sign. I have a trust but if the law changes as speculated I am not sure what I will do.
                      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Lupe Valdez told me to my face to fuck off when I tried to get her to sign off when she was first elected. I can not wait to try it again. I have a trust but I tried it on general principal.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I don't think anything came of it. To me this is nothing other than feel good legislation. No one is going to punish any CLEO who is isnt going to sign and if most do, they'll edit and add as much shit to the certification that the ATF will more than likely question it. CLEOs have already been sued in other states and have won.

Comment

Awesome.
                            sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
                            🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

Working...
                            X