UTV Winch Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTV Winch Question

I've got a Kawasaki Mule 3010 GVW = 1300 lbs or so, 2" lift with maxxis tires, 3500 lbs tractor supply winch. I've buried this thing a couple times now in mud, sitting on the frame. I've never had a vehicle with a winch but it will not pull itself out and I think it should. Thought it was the battery/charging system so I put a deep cycle marine battery on it. It helped but I still think it should pull itself out of the mud, buried or not. If I bind the hook on the bumper and measure the voltage it drops to 11.5 at the battery during the bind and sits a little bit above 12 at idle. Winched it to my shop roof and got the front tires off the ground 4' or so before I quit.

I'm pretty sure it has adequate voltage so I guess my question is, is mud/suction that tough that 3500 lbs winch can't yank out a UTV?

How much line are u pulling out? The winch will only pull full power with the line almost all the way out. If its a short distance use a snach block and bring the line back to the vehicle. Might help.
    example. I have a 12klb pull winch on my jeep. with all 8 layers of line on the winch i get 6klb's of pull. With only 1 layer of line on the winch i get 12klbs of pull.
    Last edited by 2000 vert; 04-14-2015, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I've read that and have two snatch blocks, haven't used them yet. Both times before and after the battery I was at the red mark on the cable.

Comment

Definitely use a snatch block. A 3500lb winch isnt just pulling the 1500lb mule... it has to fight the suction of the mud and pull it up and out of the mud. You are probably maxing out the pulling capability of the winch.

Comment

If it doesn't have a roller fairlead you might want to add one and definitely use a snatch block. It'll make it take longer but you double the pulling power. Also feel around the wiring after pulling a load, if it's getting warm you need to increase the size.

Also the bearings do wear out. Those are pretty cheap winches, I'd imagine they aren't sealed as well as they could be.

3500 pounds is under ideal conditions with an unlimited amount of amperage (up to whatever the internal wiring can handle) available.

Comment

I put the fairlead on it as well. That mud is tough. I'll pull out the snatch blocks next time.

Comment

Working...
            X