Removing decals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing decals

What is the best way to go aboutvremoving factory and dealer applied decals.

I picked up a F150 with the STX package last night and want to ditch the STX decals on the bed and the dealer applied logos

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Man I just peeled mine off by hand on a hot day. I may have used a tad bit of goo gone for any residual adhesive before applying the flat black replacement but it was all super easy.

A hair dryer may help if it's cool out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
      Man I just peeled mine off by hand on a hot day. I may have used a tad bit of goo gone for any residual adhesive before applying the flat black replacement but it was all super easy.

A hair dryer may help if it's cool out.
      That's what I saw online. My only concern is using the goo gone on the clear coat! I plan to do the same thing I did on the wife's explorer and do a full decontamination and coating, but I don't want to have issues in those spots in the future, since I'm not re-applying a decal.

Comment

I have no idea on the effect of the clear coat, but I have used golf club grip solvent before. That shit breaks down adhesive with quickness. I always wash the area after and then wax it too.

Comment

heat gun, once it gets hot it will peel off easy
          wd40 to get the sticky stuff off
          it had been on for 6 years so had to go over the outline with scratch X
          now you can't tell it was there

Comment

I've used heat and goo gone pretty successfully in the past. I also use fishing line behind the badges to get them to start peeling.

Comment

I just peal them off and use 3m adhesive remover.

Comment

Heat gun and goo gone or 3m on every vehicle I have ever owned. Fishing line or a plastic blade.

Comment

Fishing line for emblems, just fyi.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                    Heat gun and goo gone or 3m on every vehicle I have ever owned. Fishing line or a plastic blade.
                    I use a plastic blade to get our company signs off when we sell trucks, works pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                      I just peal them off and use 3m adhesive remover.
                      this right here owned my truck for 15 minutes and pulled everything off of it

Comment

I'm planning on leaving the factory badges. The STX sticker and dealer emblem have to go. I may pull the ecoboost logo, not sure yet.

Is the 3m stuff readily available? Wal Mart? Parts store?

Comment

I grabbed a can of turtle was adhesive remover and went at it.

Heat gun on low setting, they pulled right off. Very little adhesive residue left. There is a bit of ghosting from the decal, but it was only visible when I hit it with spray wax to give it a quick seal. I would assume being a brand new truck helped. It will get a full decontamination and detail as soon as good weather and time coordinate.

Comment

If you use wd40, you need to wash and wax the area to bring back the protection on the paint.

Comment

FYI

The ecoboost emblem on the bottom of the door is removable - it's just adhesive.

The F150 fender badges have alignment holes in the fender. Remove those badges and you're left with 3 holes.

I'm not certain about the F150 badge on the tailgate. That's the one emblem I left on my truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X