Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not a single thread on the GT500s 4225 lb curb weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
    I’ll see your 3,450 and lower it to 3,000 in my 66. It’s still not as fast as a new coyote though.

Here we go. Ruff has fired up the argument actuators everybody. Remember, by engaging him at all, you are admitting that you’re wrong.
    Precisely. You already know I'm right and I havent even had to point out that the old shit boxes were made for a straight line. If that's your only performance metric then sure...but if you care about any bit of modernization, safety or actually turning at the track...modern wins all day every day.

But I do agree that 4200 is pretty damn bloated.

Comment

Makes my full frame 4dr Impala look skinny. ~4K without me behind the wheel.
      G'Day Mate

Comment

This why I love my little ranger. 2905lb without me in it.
        Even with less power I was still running door to door with my 15 GT.
        With the new mods going on it soon I think it will break a lot of expensive new cars hearts.

Comment

Fat girls need love too!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            How are you defining performance in this case?
            Straight line, the only damned thing a mustang or camaro is supposed to do. Am I the only one that sees a pony car as being under 3500lbs, under 500hp, affordable, manual transmission, cloth seats, and not much else? The camaro was the closest thing I could find.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
              Straight line, the only damned thing a mustang or camaro is supposed to do. Am I the only one that sees a pony car as being under 3500lbs, under 500hp, affordable, manual transmission, cloth seats, and not much else? The camaro was the closest thing I could find.
              Ehhh...I think starting in 2015 they had a more global and complete performance approach for the mustang. Customers in europe will care more about handling at speed on a road course than quarter mile times...and US customers seem to care about HP and new interior features.

As a fan of indycar and F1, I'm glad they are designing for road courses more. Then again I don't really have any connection to the drag racing or straight line heritage of pony cars. And I still think there will be a weight reduced gt500 version for more track focused customers.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                Yes, but no. You're describing a toy, something plenty of us have, not a daily driver. Ford is selling daily drivers, and that means the comfort/luxury stuff that everyone has grown accustomed to.

If you want a drag car, buy a fox body.

If you want a toy that's good at everything, but not great at anything (especially comfort/luxury), buy and build a classic. That way, when you get beat, at least you look good in the process.

Edit: When it comes to "what pony cars are supposed to do", from my classic-centric perspective, you may be surprised to learn that in the classic Mustang community, autocrossers and open trackers outnumber drag racers by a good margin. Maybe 10:1. Turns out, light and tossable RWD V8's are fun to take turns in, and they are infinitely moddable, so you can make it what you want. Of course, fox bodies have the same potential, but most seem to build them for drag.

Comment

Weren’t the late 60s Pony cars designed with the Trans Am series in mind, not necessarily drag racing? Seems to me they are going back to their roots.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                    Weren’t the late 60s Pony cars designed with the Trans Am series in mind, not necessarily drag racing? Seems to me they are going back to their roots.
                    Late 60's, i'm going to say a combination of both. Every make had better handling options/packages, as well as large displacement high HP engines available with steeper gears suited for drag racing.

Comment

I could care less about the weight. All that matters is speed.

However, I don’t think I would even consider buying the GT500 when the C8 Vette is a thing.

Comment

I get it, it would be a hard car to sell if it didn't have all the sound deadener and premium heated seats and other stupid shit that someone spending six figures on a car will want. But man... it sure would be cool to offer a gutted version that weighed about a thousand pounds less.
                        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                          I get it, it would be a hard car to sell if it didn't have all the sound deadener and premium heated seats and other stupid shit that someone spending six figures on a car will want. But man... it sure would be cool to offer a gutted version that weighed about a thousand pounds less.
                          like the M3 lightweights?
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                            Late 60's, i'm going to say a combination of both. Every make had better handling options/packages, as well as large displacement high HP engines available with steeper gears suited for drag racing.
                            Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                              I have to think they will offer this for a few extra grand while claiming it's for some carbon fiber light weighting bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                                I have to think they will offer this for a few extra grand while claiming it's for some carbon fiber light weighting bits.
                                The GT350R with no back seats, no heated/cooled seats somehow still weighs more than a regular GT at 3760lbs. Not sure how much more they can shave off of the GT500 as it already has a CF hood and fenders. I'm sure that IRS weighs a ton since it has to be pretty damn beefy to handle all that power.
                                Originally posted by Silverback
                                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                                X