No announcement yet.

Skiing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So that place ended up being booked but found an Airbnb in Angel Fire. Is it pretty similar to Red River there? I mainly wanna make sure there's stuff for my kids to do.

Comment

If all you are doing is skiing its probably ok...but from what I remembered (many years ago), anglefire didnt have much else fun.

Comment

Yeah they're young so just playing in the snow, sledding, outdoor crap.

On a side note, will my rwd expedition be ok to drive or should I plan to rent a 4x4/AWD?

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
          So that place ended up being booked but found an Airbnb in Angel Fire. Is it pretty similar to Red River there? I mainly wanna make sure there's stuff for my kids to do.
          I drove through angel fire on the way to Red River a couple months ago. Looked like it had grown into a decent sized resort town now and if you get bored its a short drive over to Taos where there is plenty to do. If you're a Longmire fan be sure to stop in Las Vegas on the way up, cool little town square is where they filmed a lot of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            If all you are doing is skiing its probably ok...but from what I remembered (many years ago), anglefire didnt have much else fun.
            I haven't been in a good many years, but even back then investments were being made, I'd imagine it's a full blown winter resort at this point. If not Red River is very commutable.

Comment

I typed this earlier but edited. so i'll make a new post on it.

On a side note, will my rwd expedition be ok to drive or should I plan to rent a 4x4/AWD or get some tire chains as backup?

Comment

I typed this earlier but edited. so i'll make a new post on it.

On a side note, will my rwd expedition be ok to drive or should I plan to rent a 4x4/AWD or get some tire chains as backup?
                Depends on weather...but I've never had 4wd on a ski trip...especially in NM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  Depends on weather...but I've never had 4wd on a ski trip...especially in NM.
                  Should I be worried about the RWD or nah?

Comment

My family never needed a 4wd.

Comment

I never did but it was also never heavy snow when I went.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Not sure how NM works, but in many places tire chains are a minimum requirement for mountain roads in the winter. didn't have to have them on, but they had checkpoints that verified they were in the car before letting you pass.

Comment

I've driven everything from my old Z71 4x4 to a 430hp Trans Am up to Wolf Creek ski area in full blown heavy snow and ice...obviously the truck had little to no trouble regardless of road conditions. My Trans Am did just fine on snow but there were slick spots and you have to adjust your driving....slow and steady when conditions get bad. Last year I drove my 2WD Sierra up in the morning and a heavy storm hit shortly after getting up there...the drive back down to Pagosa Springs was slippery but I made it...next morning I got halfway to the ski area after it snowed all night but ended up putting on chains before the road turned up the mountain near the waterfall...even with M/S tires going uphill in very heavy snow got very slippery and I needed the chains. You should be fine if your tires aren't bald but if there's a lot of snow that hasn't been plowed or ice...you might have a little fun getting up there. As for renting a 4x4...I've never been able to rent a 4x4 when I flew into Durango..all they had were 2wd SUV's and Jeep's.

Comment

I'd have chains handy, cheaper than renting a 4x4. The drive intro Angel Fire isn't steep, or high, but if you do get stuck your, well stuck. The drive over to Red River is higher, but I recall the grade being less than the first pass into the valley Angel Fire's in.

Comment

Yeah I'm gunna get some chains for sho. Looks like the local boards there are saying they keep the roads pretty good and that the only issues may be on the side roads and only if there is a heavy show if they haven't had a chance to clear it yet. We're staying at a country club there so I'm sure they keep their private roads nice as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X