Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$20k for a practical daily. What and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
    Interesting points. There was a time when I was gunning for an 09 335i, but I have enough cars to work on. I think I’m looking for something that’s a little more point and shoot for the daily.
    You've got your mind made up, but just to be clear, the only work did on these two cars was oil changes, brake pads, and adding performance parts in the case of the M3. Could have taken them to the local lube shop, no other work was needed otherwise. All cars get costly when you're paying for labor when issue come up.

I did have to have a brake module replaced in the X4, but only after pulling pulling a heavy Uhaul trailer for 1,700 miles straight. The turbo 6 is buttery smooth, and has been problem-free. 70k miles, still solid, and we'll be giving it to my step-daughter once I pick up a replacement. That's how I know first hand what the depreciation is on these things.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
      You've got your mind made up...
      Not necessarily. What age/milage did you own these cars at? My main concern is that an older Bimmer is likely going to be more of a handful than one that's newer and lower milage. 3 series in this price range appear to be 5-7 years old for the most part. I suppose that's not too terribly old if it's not super high milage.

Comment

Go try a BMW Z4!

Comment

Oooh I got a good one! It's a tad more than what you want to spend, but...

Search Used Volvo S60 T6 Polestar for Sale to find the best deals. iSeeCars.com analyzes prices of 10 million used cars daily.

Volvo's are the coolest underdog. My wife has an XC90 R-Design and it's fun for an SUV. (twin-charged)

Comment

Originally posted by garycrist View Post
            Go try a BMW Z4!
            Oh I have, and they are magnificent. Not sure the 2 seater will be utilitarian enough, but I am definitely a fan. I would feel guilty leaving one to sit outside though.

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
            Oooh I got a good one! It's a tad more than what you want to spend, but...

Volvo's are the coolest underdog. My wife has an XC90 R-Design and it's fun for an SUV. (twin-charged)
            I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I don't think I can do a Volvo. They're cool and all, but they're also still a Volvo, lol.

Comment

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I don't think I can do a Volvo. They're cool and all, but they're also still a Volvo, lol.
              Yeah but that's a Polestar a performance edition, and they are the safest vehicles on the road!

Comment

Not necessarily. What age/milage did you own these cars at? My main concern is that an older Bimmer is likely going to be more of a handful than one that's newer and lower milage. 3 series in this price range appear to be 5-7 years old for the most part. I suppose that's not too terribly old if it's not super high milage.
                I bought the '07 as a 20k mile CPO in 2010 for only a few grand over your budget, and picked up the '08 in 2012 with 40k on the clock, but for well over what you're looking to spend (was almost $70k new). Both cars ran great the entire time I had them, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one used.

Comment

It will be a few years old but you can get a low mileage Lexus GS350 for low 20's.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                    SS is going to be near impossible at that price point, they're hovering in the 30-40K range. You can find 09-11 V's real close to 20K
                    I have seen the early(2014) automatics go for mid 20s with higher mileage
                    2016 Chevrolet SS 6M

Comment

I bought the '07 as a 20k mile CPO in 2010 for only a few grand over your budget, and picked up the '08 in 2012 with 40k on the clock, but for well over what you're looking to spend (was almost $70k new). Both cars ran great the entire time I had them, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one used.

I love my Z3 M Roadster, so much so I was looking at Z4 Coupes(I thought they were going to total my Z out, animal in roadway). The X6 has always looked good to me also. I swore off bimmers for a long time but as long as it is not my primary source of transportation I would roll them. Hell the 135s I test drove were rockets for a grand touring type of car.
                      Last edited by kingjason; 09-30-2020, 07:45 PM.
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by txsr20de View Post
                        I have seen the early(2014) automatics go for mid 20s with higher mileage
                        Not here lately. I've kicked around the idea of trading my 18 Camaro SS for a 6mt Chevy SS, so I keep an eye on them. Cheapest auto in the country on Cars.com is 30K.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                          I love my Z3 M Roadster, so much so I was looking at Z4 Coupes(I thought they were going to total my Z out, animal in roadway). The X6 has always looked good to me also. I swore off bimmers for a long time but as long as it is not my primary source of transportation I would roll them. Hell the 135s I test drove were rockets for a grand touring type of car.
                          We've had the X4 as our grocery getter/roadtrip car since new in 2014, and I'll drive it over my Mustang more often then not, probably for some of the same reasons you don't want to daily the Z3. It has everything to do with the type car, not the make.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

We've had the X4 as our grocery getter/roadtrip car since new in 2014, and I'll drive it over my Mustang more often then not, probably for some of the same reasons you don't want to daily the Z3. It has everything to do with the type car, not the make.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                            If I didn't wear a gunbelt to work I would daily the shit out of a Z3. I would drive a BMW no problem but I would not let my wife. More of a piece of mind thing. Not saying they aren't reliable but I would not say they are up to Toyota or Nissan standards. If I break down I handle that shit, if she breaks down.........I handle that shit.
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

How about a 2016 Mustang GT

I also saw several ecoboost 4 banger Mustangs available at that price range.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                                SS is going to be near impossible at that price point, they're hovering in the 30-40K range. You can find 09-11 V's real close to 20K
                                True about the SS but PPV Caprices are right in that price point. It's the same drivetrain with 4 doors but with heavy duty everything and a cheaper interior. FWPD had a few test mules but buys mostly Chargers now.

Comment

Working...
                                X