Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by centexchick View Post
    b-

My only underlying issue is I'm overweight. Yeah, I'm not a perfect model specimen...I exercised as much as I wanted (or did before it's gonna be a while before I'm able to walk the block with out feeling like my chest is going to explode). That's literally the only thing that I can see that set me on the craptastic side of things.

Masks don't work. We wore them. My parents wore them, we maintained social distancing with my parents and grandmother who is 93. My Mom who is a hot mess of issues was getting over radiation and chemo treatment for breast cancer and ended up catching it from us, most likely from our 8 year old daughter. We were doing all the shopping for all three households. Went to HEB, a week later a news story comes out that on the day we were there multiple checkers went home sick and subsequently tested positive. It didn't matter that at that point we were coming home unloading groceries to garage, changing clothes in garage and then immediately taking showers. We did the sanitizer going in and coming out. It's all a crock of shit. Everyone is gonna get it at some point.

They need to open the world back up and let things go back to normal. Or what ever version of normal we will have for a while. The point of locking down was to avoid overwhelming the hospitals....that's past....
    That's consistent with the latest theories about who suffers the most from this virus. This is one of many articles about it.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...evere-covid-19

Blood Type May Predict Your Risk For Severe COVID

WEDNESDAY, Oct. 14, 2020 (HealthDay News) -- There's more evidence that blood type may affect a person's risk for COVID-19 and severe illness from the disease.

The findings are reported in a pair of studies published Oct. 14 in the journal Blood Advances.

In one, researchers compared more than 473,000 people in Denmark with COVID-19 to more than 2.2 million people in the general population.

Among the COVID-19 patients, there was a lower percentage of people with blood type O and higher percentages of those with with types A, B and AB.

The findings suggest that people with A, B or AB blood may be more likely to be infected with COVID-19 than people with type O blood. Infection rates were similar among people with types A, B and AB blood.

The other study included 95 critically ill COVID-19 patients hospitalized in Canada. Patients with type A or AB blood were more likely to require mechanical ventilation, suggesting that they had greater rates of lung injury from COVID-19.

More patients with type A and AB blood required dialysis for kidney failure, the study added.

The results suggest that COVID-19 patients with A and AB blood types may have an increased risk of organ dysfunction or failure than those with type O or B blood, according to the researchers.

They also found that while people with blood types A and AB didn't have longer overall hospital stays than those with types O or B, on average, they were in intensive care longer, which may indicate more severe COVID-19.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
      That's consistent with the latest theories about who suffers the most from this virus. This is one of many articles about it.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...evere-covid-19

Blood Type May Predict Your Risk For Severe COVID
      Makes sense. Crazy how it affects differently. My mil is o+, it will be interesting to see how she deals with it if she gets it.

Comment

O+ here as well. I assume that by now I have to have been exposed to COVID-19 at some point but thus far no symptoms. Have gotten 4 PCR tests since early June and they’ve all been negative, the most recent on 10/5. Got a flu shot a little over a month ago, and the only other thing I do prevention-wish is wash my hands even more often than I used to, which was already a lot. I am personally all in favor of re-opening our economy.
        Last edited by The King; 10-19-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by centexchick View Post
          They need to open the world back up and let things go back to normal. Or what ever version of normal we will have for a while. The point of locking down was to avoid overwhelming the hospitals....that's past....
          That goes against the narrative though! In Tarrant County we're at 1/3 the capacity for both available beds and ventilators and this is with the "MASSIVE UPSWING IN CASES" the leftists are screeching about.

I wonder why Johnson, Parker and Wise counties aren't getting hit the same? It's almost like their cases are being counted in Tarrant County because they are.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
            That goes against the narrative though! In Tarrant County we're at 1/3 the capacity for both available beds and ventilators and this is with the "MASSIVE UPSWING IN CASES" the leftists are screeching about.

I wonder why Johnson, Parker and Wise counties aren't getting hit the same? It's almost like their cases are being counted in Tarrant County because they are.
            From what I have heard / read, ventilators are a death sentence, and many doctors are not ordering patients be placed on them except in the most dire situations where the likely-hood of recovery is nil. I only mention because I think most have abandoned that as a concern.

I've also heard one commonality with those affected more severely has been a significant deficiency in vitamin D, and associated issues with the immune system. And of course, being on lockdown only hurts that, with less exposure to the sun.

I do know a number of people who have had it (friends or acquaintances) and just experienced the flu like symptoms, similar to centexchick and her family.

Oh, and my blood type is A-Pos, so I have cringed about the potential link to that..

As for masks, I question their effectiveness from what I have read, but at the same time I don't really mind wearing them. The business closures and all that are what I have concerns with. I'm certainly more concerned about the mental health impacts of the lock down and fear-mongering in general, and have certainly been struggling more with my own mental health since March. My oldest (24) has been struggling as well, but it seems much of that has been related to being stretched very thin at work, since he's in the restaurant industry and and although they were open, revenue has been too low to bring back more help.

I am certainly curious to see if the 'narrative' changes significantly after the election, on both sides.

Comment

"Facts."

Swiss Policy Research (SPR) (before May 2020 Swiss Propaganda Research) is a website launched in 2016, which describes itself as "an independent nonprofit research group investigating geopolitical propaganda in Swiss and international media". The editors of the site are unknown, but they claim that "SPR is composed of independent academics and receives no external funding".[1] The site has been criticised for spreading conspiracy theories, especially relating to the COVID-19 pandemic. "Faktenfuchs", a fact-checking feature on the website of the Bavarian radio station Bayerischer Rundfunk, and Swiss academic researchers on journalism and media, assert that SPR is a source of misinformation and disinformation.[2] The site has been categorized as a tool of propaganda.[3] It has also been noted that, contrary to what the title suggests, the contents of the site are likely created outside of Switzerland.[4]

In 2017 a University of Zurich report on media in Switzerland analyzed "six of the most-discussed 'alternative media'", including SPR. Daniel Vogler concluded that SPR "resorts to conspiracy theories", and its contents are mostly "pseudo-scientific".[5]

Andrea Haefely wrote a critique of the website in the magazine Beobachter in May 2020, noting: "The website Swiss Propaganda Research assumes that the Swiss media does what SPR itself does: feed the readers with questionable information." She also suggested that the persistent use of the letter ß on the site suggests that the content creator is likely to be from outside Switzerland, as this particular letter form is not in common use within Switzerland.[4]

Stephan Russ-Mohl, professor of journalism and media management at the Università della Svizzera italiana, considers the articles on the SPRS to themselves serve as propaganda, rather than being serious research on the subject. He has noted that the anonymity of the website creates doubts over the reliability and authenticity of its research, particularly in a country such as Switzerland, which has full freedom of its press.[3]

Why don't you guys ever check your sources? It takes ten seconds.

Comment

The ole reddit keyboard warrior is back at it...can't refute the facts? Attack the source!

You just look like a joke to everyone now dude...grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  The ole reddit keyboard warrior is back at it...can't refute the facts? Attack the source!

You just look like a joke to everyone now dude...grow up.

The idea that your opinion would form any type of consensus on here is hysterical to, well, just about everyone.

But go on with the joke angle. You're sure to get some traction there, right?

Comment

well if they plan on keeping the lock down then more support and stimulus money should be provided for all

Comment

Eric, did you even look at the citations? This is not a rhetorical question.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                        Eric, did you even look at the citations? This is not a rhetorical question.
                        Certainly. That is why I pointed out you were sharing a propaganda site (again) as a source of information, like you did with vaping back in the day. The site starts off with two calls to authority it hasn’t earned, using a countries name to sound official, and a nice quote from Albert Camus, who wrote The Plague (which I highly recommend btw). It then starts giving you facts, backed up with sources. Great. But the further down you go, the more those sources (you checked all of them, right?) start getting blended in with conspiracy theory sites, dubious news sources (The Daily fucking Mail?), and even links back to their own articles as evidence. This blending of information and your failure to notice it is exactly what these sites prey on.

Comment

Also... You’ll notice their sources are not listed at the end in APA format, the way an actual research paper would list them. Instead they are blended in with word overwritten links, so you have to exhaustively check each one. Why do they do this? Because if you skipped to the end and saw eight bullshit sources you probably wouldn’t read it. These are all classic propaganda tactics. The reason Facebook pointed out this was bullshit isn’t because every single thing stated in it was bullshit. They did it because it contains enough dubious information to be considered misinformation.

Comment

Fair enough, I'm big enough to admit if/when I've been duped.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                              Fair enough, I'm big enough to admit if/when I've been duped.
                              Well you're a bigger man than most.

Ruffdaddy, you were saying?

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                                The idea that your opinion would form any type of consensus on here is hysterical to, well, just about everyone.

But go on with the joke angle. You're sure to get some traction there, right?
                                Lol at thinking I'm the only one that knows you're a joke.

What are your top 3 most used reddit usernames? You don't have to include your throwaways. Don't you want to brag about all the hard work you do for the lefties all day long saving the internets?

Comment

Working...
                                X