Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
    go on...
    At low speeds (looks like you're going in the 30s max)...itll require a ton of surface area to get any useful downforce. A ricer wing will likely add so little downforce that the weight alone surpasses the downforce.

Hence the comment about sprint car style...thats basically a billboard the width of the car. I dont think its an actual wing profile...more of a flat plate spoiler...but they still work.

The alternative is a formula SAE style of 4-5 element wing with a really high pitch. I think that would be really expensive to make properly...but it would be the only way I can think of to use an actual wing and get downforce at those low speeds. The formula sae competition is pretty low speed.

And since you're not using most of your horsepower, you don't care about drag. I think I still have my really simple multi element wind design software if you need me to run a few quick calculations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
      At low speeds (looks like you're going in the 30s max)...itll require a ton of surface area to get any useful downforce. A ricer wing will likely add so little downforce that the weight alone surpasses the downforce.

Hence the comment about sprint car style...thats basically a billboard the width of the car. I dont think its an actual wing profile...more of a flat plate spoiler...but they still work.

The alternative is a formula SAE style of 4-5 element wing with a really high pitch. I think that would be really expensive to make properly...but it would be the only way I can think of to use an actual wing and get downforce at those low speeds. The formula sae competition is pretty low speed.

And since you're not using most of your horsepower, you don't care about drag. I think I still have my really simple multi element wind design software if you need me to run a few quick calculations.
      Very interesting. I mainly wanted to put a nascar style sheet metal spoiler on it to finish the original design and paint scheme, but if I could do something simple that actually works that would be cool. I don't want to go this far though. atleast not yet. lol

Comment

• Haha...yeah to get any real downforce benefit from a wing itll have to look at least that dumb. A sheet metal wing may give you 20-30 lbs but if its looks youre going for that makes sense.

Throw a shark fin on there too for lateral stability.

Comment

• Eh, I prefer the full-on jelly bean look. You don't need no stinkin' wing.

Comment

• Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
            Eh, I prefer the full-on jelly bean look. You don't need no stinkin' wing.
            Hah...I think you're absolutely right. Weight reduction and balance will get you far more than wings at these speeds and budget.

But wings are just so much fun...

Comment

• In the (now massively incorrect) words of enzo...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Finished my 4th event yesterday. Man this stuff is fun! I have the car working pretty well now, and was able to focus on improving my driving. This track was awesome! think I caught some air this go around. I do know that i flattened one of the exhaust tips. lol I also almost lost a wheel again. But for the 4th time the car drove back up on the trailer under it's own power. Next up is shocks and struts, sub frame connectors and welded torque boxes.
                As it was, my first run was a 86.884, and by the end of the day I got it down to a 72.030 So I'm doing something right. I was keeping pace with a STI hatch that my buddy was running. He's just as new at it as me, but less willing to damage his car. lol

Comment

• That sounds really fun man!
                  Originally posted by stevo
                  Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

• Nice! I think you're gonna dig that chassis stiffening.

Comment

• Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                      That sounds really fun man!
                      So much fun, my wife is hooked too. She went from a 97 second run to her last one was an 84.

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                      Nice! I think you're gonna dig that chassis stiffening.
                      ya I'm sure its going to feel nice, but mainly I want the car to not rip itself apart. i am growing quite attached to this thing.

my "jelly bean" looking thick on these A/T tires. Its so fun hearing it squal tires in dirt when its really biting.

Comment

• Thanks for adding some original content to the forums btw...its been cool to see this thing come alive and I'm living vicariously through you lol

Comment

• Originally posted by 4bangen View Post
                          So much fun, my wife is hooked too. She went from a 97 second run to her last one was an 84.

ya I'm sure its going to feel nice, but mainly I want the car to not rip itself apart. i am growing quite attached to this thing.

my "jelly bean" looking thick on these A/T tires. Its so fun hearing it squal tires in dirt when its really biting.
                          The chassis stiffening is going to make the car work better and you a better driver. The suspension will start working more like it is supposed to as a result.

If I had a Mustang SN95 rally car, I'd seriously consider a Panhard bar for rear axle side to side stability and maybe even do the "poor mans" 3 link mod. You can look this one up. Basically once you have the panhard rod you ditch one of the wonky upper Fox body arms. You can even fab up some brackets, make an arm with real rod ends and have a real 3 link rear end.

Comment

• Here's a few more pictures from last race. The next one is the 11th, and there are a few things I really need to get done before then. Namely the torque boxes really need to be welded. Is there anything special I need to know about that job, or can I just blast them? I'm a novis at welding, and this seems like a fairly important job.

Comment

• new video finally.

Comment

• A panhard bar will stop the rear axle from moving side to side and stop that rubbing. It’ll also make the rear end work more like it should and the handling more predictable.

Comment

Working...
                                X