Who has upgraded to wireless N?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has upgraded to wireless N?

I have DSL at home and the desktop is wired directly with 10/100 and works fine. The modem is the 2Wire 2701 Wireless B/G and works good with my macbook pro (which has a wireless N card built in) in the front of the house, but the signal gets substantially slower and weaker toward the back of the house. Microcenter is selling a Wireless N router with 4 port switch for $19.99. Would upgrading the router to wireless N improve my speeds and reception or is wireless N a waste of money?

Do it.

At the house here we were having dead spots also. We upgraded to N and the range is substantially better.

I was running a desktop with an N card and it had very similar ping and speeds of my hard wired PC.

Comment

If your on ATT, your going to have to keep that 2wire modem. You can still run another router behind it but I hear its a PITA. I may be doing that same thing soon for the same reason you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
        If your on ATT, your going to have to keep that 2wire modem. You can still run another router behind it but I hear its a PITA. I may be doing that same thing soon for the same reason you mentioned.
        It's not bad at all. Just hard wire from old into new and then reset all your equipment to read off the new ID. If you wanted to you could also turn off wireless on the ATT router to reduce confusion.

Comment

I hate 2wire's with a passion. I've had 3 Speedstream DSL modems since like 01-02. I've always used an aftermarket router, netgear and linksys. I'm using 5200 speedstream hooked up to the wr54gl right now with the DDR on it and it's awesome. Same range or better than the linksys-n router I had which crapped out on me due to heat(my fault).

Comment

Working...
          X