Texas bill would do away with time change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas bill would do away with time change

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Are you still recovering from changing that clock an hour forward over the weekend? Well, imagine if there was no more springing forward or falling back. One lawmaker wants to make time change a thing of the past for all Texans.

House Bill 150 was drafted by Rep. Dan Flynn, R-Canton, in November 2014. The bill was debated by the House’s Government Transparency and Operation Committee on Wednesday, but was left pending in committee. It will likely be voted on next week or the week after.

If the bill passes the full legislature, the Lone Star State will be exempt from any future time changes, meaning the state would stay on “Daylight Saving Time.” The bill is being reworded to reflect this, and not that the state will do away with Daylight Saving Time.

The change in wording goes against what Flynn said before, who cited safety benefits of not observing Daylight Saving Time. He said some children have to head to school before the sun comes up and that’s not safe. There’s also research that says switching back and forth is bad on our health.

“Central standard time, or as I like to call it ‘Texas time’, is what we should be going by and it’s really kind of interesting because so many people say they really just don’t like to put up with it,” Flynn said before the committee meeting. “Another myth is that it was going to save us a lot of money, but there’s an Indiana study that says it actually cost us more money.”

The wording change came after feedback from constituents, according to Flynn’s office.

Many people have also heard Daylight Saving was developed because of farming — more hours of daylight means more time in the field for farmers. But that is not true. Germany was the first country to implement it, and the United States took up the practice upon entering World War I, hypothetically to save energy. That’s why Texas Department of Agriculture Commissioner, Sid Miller says the change does not affect the industry.

“I think it’s irrelevant, I don’t think it really matters. We get up and start at sunrise, and finish when the chores are done. Most of the days we don’t look at the clock,” Miller said.

Right now, Arizona and Hawaii are the only places in the country that do not use Daylight Saving Time. Texas is not the only state considering to eliminate the twice a year time change. The states of Utah and Nebraska have thought about dropping it. Lawmakers in Missouri are also looking over a plan similar to the one proposed in Texas.

If the bill passes, Texas would not ‘fall back’ in 2015.

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

I think it should be done away with as a country, but Texas would be a good start. I've long envied those in AZ that get to avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      I think it should be done away with as a country, but Texas would be a good start. I've long envied those in AZ that get to avoid it.
      at a minimum the whole time zone

Comment

As long as we go with the spring-fall hours so that we get the extra hour of sunlight in the evening.

Comment

^^^^

I disagree, Texas doesn't need an extra hour of sunlight in the evening.

Comment

I lived in Yuma az for 4 years while in the marine corps. The lack of time change was great, go across the border to winterhaven ca for an extra hour of drinking half the year and 2 extra hours the other half. Lol

But yes, the time for daylight savings to go away is past.
            Originally posted by soap
            i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost
              If the bill passes the full legislature, the Lone Star State will be exempt from any future time changes, meaning the state would stay on “Daylight Saving Time.” The bill is being reworded to reflect this, and not that the state will do away with Daylight Saving Time.

The change in wording goes against what Flynn said before, who cited safety benefits of not observing Daylight Saving Time. He said some children have to head to school before the sun comes up and that’s not safe. There’s also research that says switching back and forth is bad on our health.

“Central standard time, or as I like to call it ‘Texas time’, is what we should be going by and it’s really kind of interesting because so many people say they really just don’t like to put up with it,” Flynn said before the committee meeting. “Another myth is that it was going to save us a lot of money, but there’s an Indiana study that says it actually cost us more money.”

The wording change came after feedback from constituents, according to Flynn’s office.
              I agree with what Flynn said before. Every morning this week in Killeen I've seen quite a few elementary-school age kids walking to school and having to cross some fairly busy intersections in the dark.

Comment

The whole world should just go to UTC time.
                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                  ^^^^

I disagree, Texas doesn't need an extra hour of sunlight in the evening.
                  Yeah! Lots of people ready to go home by that time, that get asked to work even longer.
                  WH

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                    Can you convert that to freedom units for me?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
                      As long as we go with the spring-fall hours so that we get the extra hour of sunlight in the evening.
                      im with you. I hate getting off work and only having 45 minutes of light left.
                      "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

Fucking finally. I 100% support this. Lived in AZ and several countries, and no time changes were awesome. Only thing it fucked with stateside was some TV schedules.

Edit: I like the late daylight in dst but it would actually make more sense to stay on regular central standard time.
                        Last edited by LANTIRN; 03-12-2015, 07:52 PM.
                        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                          swatch time?

Comment

We should fuck everyone up and just fall back 30 minutes.

Comment

as long as the bars stay open until 3am once a year, idgaf. priorities yo !!
                              Vortex rear stand $75
                              8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                              My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                              but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                              11 4 door
                              13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Working...
                              X