Vietnam war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
    Frost, read the post. The man has been long dead.
    And? Send in for his papers via a FOIA. Someone doesn't have to be alive to pull it if there is a genuine question.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
      And?
      His son probably doesnt know what a dd214 is. Hell, I don't.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Until 1965, we had advisers over there teaching how to fight. These guys/gals were made up of mostly CIA. Most of the CIA types brought their own guns in-country. Our advisers were to be unarmed.

U.S. involvement escalated further following the 1964 Gulf of Tonkin incident, in which a U.S. destroyer clashed with North Vietnamese fast attack craft, which was followed by the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, which gave the U.S. president authorization to increase U.S. military presence
        Regular U.S. combat units were deployed beginning in 1965. Operations crossed international borders: bordering areas of Laos and Cambodia were heavily bombed by U.S. forces as American involvement in the war peaked in 1968.

Comment

His son probably doesnt know what a dd214 is. Hell, I don't.
          Department of Defense form 214, an overview of stations, class, classes and rank of a service member.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
            Our initial role in Vietnam was advisory only. I don't know about the no ammunition part, but we did start out just training and advising the South Vietnamese Army. Maybe that is what was being referenced?
            Chili is correct. We went under Kennedy as non-combatant advisers only. Advisers came from all parts of the military and not just special forces. (SF as we know it today was a result of Vietnam). They would have a designation of MACV Military Advisory Command Vietnam.

As far as the no-ammo story.... Advisers were attached to South Vietnam troops who were poorly trained and even worse equipped. They had no logistics or supply chain of their own. They were dependent on the local forces for re-supply. So tales of no food and no ammo would not be that far fetched.

Comment

See, I know you smart bastards could help.

Comment

We did send in a MAAG to try and stabilize things and help President Diem keep peace. We failed and shit escalated.
                Diem and his brother were assassinated by a CIA-backed coup d'état that JFK ok'ed..
                Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Yep. We should've learned our lesson by now as far as trying to prop up various shit tier countries goes.
                  Originally posted by lincolnboy
                  After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Well he founded a cult so.. I'd say his story is questionable
                    WH

Comment

Yep. We should've learned our lesson by now as far as trying to prop up various shit tier countries goes.
                      We wouldn't have had to deal with North Korea, or Vietnam, if we'd have let MacArthur do the job he was prepared and happy to do.
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                        Well he founded a cult so.. I'd say his story is questionable
                        It's a crazy read on the cult. Apparently it was more lovey dovey hippie shit when he founded it.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                          We wouldn't have had to deal with North Korea, or Vietnam, if we'd have let MacArthur do the job he was prepared and happy to do.
                          If Truman would have listened, and the French had some smarts, Vietnam wouldn't have blown up in our face.. Father Ho asked repeatedly to meet with Truman to help rid his country of the French Colonization, Truman blew them off..
                          If Truman would have left MacArthur continue, the world would have been in a conflaguration that would have rivaled WW2.. The Russians were already flying combat missions for the North Koreans, and the Chinese were ready and willing to suffer mass genocide of its own people to push us out of Korea.
                          What many fail to realize is that The Co-Prosperity Sphere the Japanese were pushing prior to WW2 was well received by many of the Asian countries who were tired of suffering under European Feudalism. Hell, even Ghandi was in talks with the Japanese prior to the war..
                          The US has always been behind the curve when it comes to politics and understanding foreign concepts and beliefs..
                          Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Originally posted by 68RR View Post
                            If Truman would have listened, and the French had some smarts, Vietnam wouldn't have blown up in our face.. Father Ho asked repeatedly to meet with Truman to help rid his country of the French Colonization, Truman blew them off..
                            If Truman would have left MacArthur continue, the world would have been in a conflaguration that would have rivaled WW2.. The Russians were already flying combat missions for the North Koreans, and the Chinese were ready and willing to suffer mass genocide of its own people to push us out of Korea.
                            What many fail to realize is that The Co-Prosperity Sphere the Japanese were pushing prior to WW2 was well received by many of the Asian countries who were tired of suffering under European Feudalism. Hell, even Ghandi was in talks with the Japanese prior to the war..
                            The US has always been behind the curve when it comes to politics and understanding foreign concepts and beliefs..
                            I wish they'd teach people this stuff in public school now.
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                              svo855?
                              My dad was not in SF. He was an Air Force pilot who did not make it home; this all happened before I was born.

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                              I wish they'd teach people this stuff in public school now.
                              It has been the policy of most public schools to not really teach anything since about the late 60s.
                              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

The fucking tags are off the hook! I'm really lol @ "SVO punji sticks dog."
                                Originally posted by Silverback
                                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                                X