Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Synology

Planning on getting a DS1515+.

Right now, I'm using my PC in a big ass case with 3 2tb discs for movies and 2 other hd for OS and other where I save stuff to. Getting full, so been looking into it for awhile based off of comments here and buddies at work. Hoping for a smooth transition. Right now I stream to my nvidia shield tv(hardwire) with Kodi installed. I also have Plex on my pc for remote viewing.

Should I upgrade the ram on this box for PLEX or just keep using PLEX on my pc pointed to the NAS?

Which is a decent HD to get for it?

Also, would like to be able to set it up to backup my pc's/laptop to it. Also, have multiple images of backup for each machine if I need to go further?

Little help/advice

Thanks

Little old thread but Im a big fan of Synology. I have a 1512+ and debating about an expansion unit in the future or buying a DS18XX+.

I like having an external box as backup that is in some type of raid configuration. Id get a synology.
    Last edited by 8mpg; 06-24-2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Still haven't pulled the trigger on the 1515. I keep going back and forth between 1515 and 1515+. Buying all of the harddrives is what is holding me back. Not cheap when buying all of them at once..haha

Comment

Plex is not memory dependent more so than CPU. If you rip/convert your media to a native format so its doing direct streaming instead of trasncoding, the requirements for your file server drastically go down ( to pretty much nil ).

I would stick to Red drives if you use raid.

Comment

And if space is at a premium, x265/hevc will DRASTICALLY reduce the space used for your content. 720 TV show averages 200mb, 1080 w/5.1 audio in tact average 600mb.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
            Plex is not memory dependent more so than CPU. If you rip/convert your media to a native format so its doing direct streaming instead of trasncoding, the requirements for your file server drastically go down ( to pretty much nil ).

I would stick to Red drives if you use raid.
            This is why my plex server is running on a Dual Xeon box with Peppermint! low CPU overhead for all that transcoding!

Comment

I am unfamiliar with peppermint, what is it?

I should also clarify, I assume that you have at least 4GB of ram.

Comment

just an super easy to load/run Lubuntu desktop OS

Comment

Ahh, I use Linux Mint for that. Maybe I'll check that one out too.

Comment

I rip my BR movies to uncompressed M2TS format, which I stream them to KODI. I use PLEX to transcode them if/when I want to watch them when not at home. Since they are uncompressed, we're talking about avg of 25gb movies, so my PC works pretty good when I use PLEX. Only reason why I was questioning which version of NAS to get, regular 1515, or 1515+ which has twice the processor and upgradable memory, or just continue to use PLEX on my main PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafa View Post
                      Still haven't pulled the trigger on the 1515. I keep going back and forth between 1515 and 1515+. Buying all of the harddrives is what is holding me back. Not cheap when buying all of them at once..haha
                      dont buy them all at once.. heck, I have read you should buy from different people to try and keep all the drives out of the same batch in case there is a failure, you dont take out multiple drives at once. I started with 3 drives and then added 2 more in mine.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                        dont buy them all at once.. heck, I have read you should buy from different people to try and keep all the drives out of the same batch in case there is a failure, you dont take out multiple drives at once. I started with 3 drives and then added 2 more in mine.

Good thinking..thanks.

Might do what you did then

Comment

Digging this up because it is relevant. After my file PC's PSU bit the dust, I am considering getting rid of my 2 PC's, building a new one and using a NAS for all of my file storage. I don't currently rip my DVD's to disk but I might do that in the future. My current file cache is mostly images, family video type stuff, and random files.

Needs:

File storage
                          Cloud capability so the wife has a place to backup/store pics/vids from her iphone

What would you guys suggest for NAS?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

No issues with my Synology, but 3 of the 4 Seagate 4tb Nas drives have crashed in less than a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                            2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                              No issues with my Synology, but 3 of the 4 Seagate 4tb Nas drives have crashed in less than a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                              which model do you have? I'm trying to decide how big to go, what features I need, etc.
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X