HID bulbs... 2011 Infiniti M37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID bulbs... 2011 Infiniti M37

So dumb question.... do HID bulbs go out like the old school bulbs or can they just go dim and not bright? I'm running into an issue with the wife's M37. The lights are dim at night. I rode in the car last night and was if it were not for the street lights, there's no way she'd see an object on the hwy in time to avoid it...it's bad.

Anyhow, I'm used to the older style bulbs that literally go out when they fail. These lights are $115 each so I want to make sure before buying two. Strange thing is that they both have the same level of brightness (or lack of) so it just seems odd for them to be doing this at the same time. Do some cars rely on the other parking lights to be functional? I have to replace the parking lights too...those are completely out.

I have aftermarket HID's for an older Camaro and I've had both bulbs fail and the ballast fail, but never a dimming problem. With both lights having similar problems I would check things that are common to both before purchasing new bulbs. Things like the ground, switch or relay (if it has one) for that circuit.

Comment

I don't know if Infinity does this but my wifes 13 Nissan Rouge had a freaking rolling knob by your left knee. I was driving her car and thought WTF is wrong with these lights. She had taken it to the car wash and I guess they swiped it with a rag and it had them point about another 30 degrees down or more. Owned it 3 years and never knew that. Dumbest feature ever.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I put a set of $45 LED bulbs from Amazon in my 2010 Edge, and the difference is insane. They were plug and play. Am doing the same for my mom's old camry now.

Comment

Yes they can dim with time

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
            So dumb question.... do HID bulbs go out like the old school bulbs or can they just go dim and not bright?
            Yes they will dim over time, buy a pair of D2S bulbs and swap them.

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
            I put a set of $45 LED bulbs from Amazon in my 2010 Edge, and the difference is insane. They were plug and play. Am doing the same for my mom's old camry now.
            Thanks for blinding oncoming traffic, asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by A_A_G View Post
              Yes they will dim over time, buy a pair of D2S bulbs and swap them.

Thanks for blinding oncoming traffic, asshole.
              Yep morons don't get the idea the light is built around the bulb.

Comment

The DS2's are the OE replacement from O'Reilly's that are $99 each. I'm just trying to make sure that's the problem before dropping $200 and not fixing the issue. If it were one bulb that was faint I wouldn't have a problem just buying since it would be obvious.

So yesterday I masked them off and polished them with Meguiar's Plastic X polish and a foam pad that attaches to a drill. Made a huge difference in the clarity of the lens but hwy driving is still very dim.

A couple of things occurred while polishing them.... When I finished one I wanted to see the results so I turned the car on, both lights lit up but the driver side light had a faint flicker to it. Turned car off, polished the other, turned the car on and the passenger light didn't turn on. I had to smack the lens for it to come on. Turned the car off, and the passenger light was flickering during the delayed power off.

Do all HID systems have a ballast?
                Last edited by GeorgeG.; 12-11-2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

The DS2's are the OE replacement from O'Reilly's that are $99 each. I'm just trying to make sure that's the problem before dropping $200 and not fixing the issue. If it were one bulb that was faint I wouldn't

So yesterday I masked them off and polished them with Meguiar's Plastic X polish and a foam pad that attaches to a drill. Made a huge difference in the clarity of the lens but hwy driving is still very dim.

A couple of things occurred while polishing them.... When I finished one I wanted to see the results so I turned the car on, both lights lit up but the driver side light had a faint flicker to it. Turned car off, polished the other, turned the car on and the passenger light didn't turn on. I had to smack the lens for it to come on. Turned the car off, and the passenger light was flickering during the delayed power off.

Do all HID systems have a ballast?
                  Yes they need a blast of high voltage to light up. each side should have one,
                  Kind of sounds like ground issues. I would pull all plugs you can find in the wiring and look for corrosion.

Comment

The DS2's are the OE replacement from O'Reilly's that are $99 each. I'm just trying to make sure that's the problem before dropping $200 and not fixing the issue. If it were one bulb that was faint I wouldn't have a problem just buying since it would be obvious.

Buy them on Amazon. They are much cheaper. The bulbs are almost 7 years old, even if they aren't the problem, it's a good idea to get new ones with the amount of hours on them.

Your flickering could be a bad ballast. I'd pull the headlights off, swap the ballasts and see if the other side starts to flicker.

If you want a little more white light compared to the stock bulb

Comment

Being HID...is there a chance these bulbs can shock the hell out of me? I'm about to replace them tonight.

Comment

Being HID...is there a chance these bulbs can shock the hell out of me? I'm about to replace them tonight.
                        Sometimes you gotta find out shit the hard way.

Comment

Please please please take video when you do it.

Comment

You might be shocked when Big Leroy shoves his 9in cock in your ass while you're bent over the fender...but then again you may not be...

Comment

Thread subscribed

Comment

Working...
                              X