Buying in a Flood Plain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
    couldnt tell you. I asked why the huge pond, he told me that he wanted the house where it is, and they needed a bunch of dirt. There is some sort of state assistance with the cost of building a stock tank, and they paid half.
    Doesn't look like the do that anymore.

Comment

I forgot to add -- we had this guy doing a bunch of other work too. So that rate is discounted, and doesn't include trip charge, etc. We kept him busy for about 3 weeks and spent around $28,000 total.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

You can buy a shovel for like 14 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
          You can buy a shovel for like 14 bucks.
          Easy work in the nice soft Texas soil.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
            Easy work in the nice soft Texas soil.
            Wait til summer and you can quarry it and stack the crap like bricks.
            G'Day Mate

Comment

We have a friend in the same boat. They're building up the pad. He's complaining he's never paid so much money for dirt, but it's going to be their primary residence.
              "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

The Army Corps of Engineers will supply a flood map of the area you want to build in. I requested one from the Tulsa office shortly before moving there. Having gone through the 77' flood in Johnstown Pa, and knowing that Tulsa did suffer from floods, I wanted to make sure I didn't move into a flood zone. Maps are free and pretty detailed.
                Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Updated maps are also available online for most areas.
                  1965 Ford Falcon Pro-Touring Project
                  TCI F/R Suspension, 3V-4.6 & TR3560, LT III Wheels

sigpic
                  Work In Progress

Comment

Plant some large oak trees, and call Tree House Masters in a few years to build your dream home. Plus, it will come in handy if the zombie apocalypse is indeed going to happen.

Comment

Rent a Dozer/loader and ship in fuel. Usually about 3500/wk for a large enough one to do what you want. dig your own pond, bring up the pad in 8" to 12" lifts and compact with water along the way and you will be fine. As stated, biggest hurdle will be if you will be allowed a septic system and can get power/water. Keep in mind, the secondary electric from the street to the house is going to cost YOU a fortune!

Comment

Thanks again for all the information everyone...looks like I have a lot more research to do.

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        I forgot to add -- we had this guy doing a bunch of other work too. So that rate is discounted, and doesn't include trip charge, etc. We kept him busy for about 3 weeks and spent around $28,000 total.
                        That's not too bad given the savings on the land...but seeing your response just reminded me to look in South Oklahoma...i believe you said you have land there...

Is there any reason not to buy in Oklahoma over texas? It seems I can get a lot more land for the same price within the same driving distance.

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                        Rent a Dozer/loader and ship in fuel. Usually about 3500/wk for a large enough one to do what you want. dig your own pond, bring up the pad in 8" to 12" lifts and compact with water along the way and you will be fine. As stated, biggest hurdle will be if you will be allowed a septic system and can get power/water. Keep in mind, the secondary electric from the street to the house is going to cost YOU a fortune!
                        I don't know how to do anything that requires a dozer so I would certainly mess something up.

Also, I'm keeping the utilities in mind. Most places so far have them, but for those that don't I can't imagine a septic tank restriction (is that flawed thinking?).

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                          Is there any reason not to buy in Oklahoma over texas? It seems I can get a lot more land for the same price within the same driving distance.
                          Depending on where you're looking there could be a huge difference. West Ok is flat grasslands that gets into drought problems while East OK gets into mountain country.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                            Plant some large oak trees, and call Tree House Masters in a few years to build your dream home. Plus, it will come in handy if the zombie apocalypse is indeed going to happen.
                            Go watch some antifa vids and report back....

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
                              Depending on where you're looking there could be a huge difference. West Ok is flat grasslands that gets into drought problems while East OK gets into mountain country.
                              I should clarify that they will all have trees, water features and access...so for all intents and purposes the land is the same. I just don't know about any odd laws, taxes, regulations...etc that may differ between Texas and OK

Comment

The main difference is that Oklahoma has a state income tax. But the property taxes are so much lower that is probably a wash.

Comment

Working...
                                X