Flu virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flu virus

ok....how serious is this flu? After reading about the Weatherford teacher that passed away just days after being diagnosed with the virus, it has me wondering if other factors were at play here, such as an already weakened immune system. There was another man in our community that was placed in the hospital in critical condition, also days after getting the flu. He's making a recovery but from what I hear, it was a very close call.

What's your take on this flu virus? I know it's always been a serious deal but to be put in ICU within a couple of days later seems crazy, let alone dying from it.

I happened to get the vaccine late last year but only because I was already at the dr's office. Otherwise, our family doesn't really make it a point to get it for ourselves or the kids. On one side you have all the "tin foil" hat people saying the gov't is injecting us with poison and on the other hand you could potentially die from it.

Do you think the cost of the medication will go up after this article?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...cid=spartanntp

My neighbor just died from this. No one found him for a week. He was in his mid 60s and in great shape.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

It all depends. This is very far from a simple answer.

Right now it seems like Flu A is worse than Flu B. The really sick people I have seen at work have been Flu A. We have had some young folks 20-30's in the ICU. We have seen a few die. We have a patient now that was on ECMO for a while. Our doctors seem to think that the flu virus has caused viral cardiomyopathy and really hurt the patient's heart.

While the young (children) and elderly stereotypically get hit hard, I have seen more young people this year with a bad case of the flu.

Comment

It's pretty bad. 14% of all deaths in Texas for the last week of January were from the flu.

According to the most recent CDC report for the last week of January, ten percent of all deaths in the country were related to the flu. The number was even higher in Texas, with 14 percent of the deaths during that period being flu-related.

But a lot of these cases are still older people or people with a pre existing condition. There are a lot of healthy people dying as well though compared to other years.

With a kid in daycare...im paranoid. We got some other virus earlier this season that kicked out asses too but wasn't the flu.

Comment

Just be cautious if you take your kid in or go in yourself. Our 10 year old got sick the other week and we immediately took him in. He was negative for flu and strep. They gave him antibiotics anyway and told us to keep him home until the low grade fever was gone. He would not run fever all day until about 8pm, so he missed 3 days of school. On day 3, I took him back in. He was positive for flu that time. He's fine now, but they can miss it the first time.

Comment

My father was getting over the flu last year and had a heart attack and died. We think it was a major contributing factor. The flu is no joke this year as well in terms of killing people.
            Originally posted by PGreenCobra
            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
            Originally posted by Trip McNeely
            Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
            dont downshift!!
            Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Coworker who's wife is a DR said load up on the Vit D to help immune system fight flu
              WRX

Comment

My "buddy" gave us all bronchitis or something. I thought it was the flu as it had me with a fever, chills, and pretty rough, but it blew over in three days, although lingered with a cough and tight chest for damn near a month. When the flu hit the schools we are thinking that just getting over his may have saved us. Everybody at the station got it and I still think it might have been the weaker flu. We really enjoyed hearing people dropping their kids off at school and wouldn't come get them. When our SRO got it, and came to work, we threw his keys to him out the front door. Fuck a bunch of that.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                  My "buddy" gave us all bronchitis or something. I thought it was the flu as it had me with a fever, chills, and pretty rough, but it blew over in three days, although lingered with a cough and tight chest for damn near a month. When the flu hit the schools we are thinking that just getting over his may have saved us. Everybody at the station got it and I still think it might have been the weaker flu. We really enjoyed hearing people dropping their kids off at school and wouldn't come get them. When our SRO got it, and came to work, we threw his keys to him out the front door. Fuck a bunch of that.
                  Sounds exactly like what my boy and I had. We both tested negative for the flu and had it a few days apart but it totally not to sign her ass for 3 straight days. After that it was like nothing happened.

The scariest part was the waiting room to get flu tested. I'll just take my chances from here on out because I don't want to be around that many sick people. I'm pretty sure that's more dangerous than just riding it out unless you have major complications.

Comment

Havent been that sick in my adult life. I was out of work a week. Took me about 15 days to feel almost normal. It whooped me bad and I am in good shape (cardio wise)

Comment

If you think the flu is something you can just tough out then you'll probably die like this poor woman. The flu has killed more people than humans have killed. The flu vaccine isn't bullshit, its efficacy varies because it is a guess as to which strain may occur. Why would medication go up because of that article? Flu season is half over and this month is its peak. Wash your hands and dont touch infected. If you're in public, refrain from touching an orifice, especially your eyes. Hell, I carry around hand sanitizer, anything that'll protect me and my family. If you do get it, take the medication they fucking prescribe you, you're not some tough bad ass for refusing medication.

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                      On one side you have all the "tin foil" hat people saying the gov't is injecting us with poison
                      If you factor that into any thinking, either pick up a book and read about how viruses work and how vaccines work, and educate yourself, or die knowing that you stuck it to the man.

Last edited by abecx; 02-12-2018, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                        My "buddy" gave us all bronchitis or something. I thought it was the flu as it had me with a fever, chills, and pretty rough, but it blew over in three days, although lingered with a cough and tight chest for damn near a month. When the flu hit the schools we are thinking that just getting over his may have saved us. Everybody at the station got it and I still think it might have been the weaker flu. We really enjoyed hearing people dropping their kids off at school and wouldn't come get them.When our SRO got it, and came to work, we threw his keys to him out the front door. Fuck a bunch of that.
                        My mom was a school nurse at an elementary school in Ft Worth before retiring and she explained why this happens. The people on the lower end can not call in and take a day off when their kid gets sick. If they get to work and get a call from the school saying to come get their sick kid they have a 50/50 chance of being allowed to go get their kid.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I heard on The Ticket the other day, some dude lost both feet and all but 1 finger after getting the flu. Fucking A...

This flu season has wreaked havoc in Texas, causing at least 77 deaths in the Dallas-Fort Area and 2,902 across the state.But for one Fort Worth...

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                            If you think the flu is something you can just tough out then you'll probably die like this poor woman. The flu has killed more people than humans have killed. The flu vaccine isn't bullshit, its efficacy varies because it is a guess as to which strain may occur. Why would medication go up because of that article? Flu season is half over and this month is its peak. Wash your hands and dont touch infected. If you're in public, refrain from touching an orifice, especially your eyes. Hell, I carry around hand sanitizer, anything that'll protect me and my family. If you do get it, take the medication they fucking prescribe you, you're not some tough bad ass for refusing medication.

If you factor that into any thinking, either pick up a book and read about how viruses work and how vaccines work, and educate yourself, or die knowing that you stuck it to the man.
                            One other thing about the tin foil hat crowd is they are basically selfish pricks, who through their line of BS ignorantly become viral cesspools that expose many more people than would otherwise have been the case.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                              Wash your hands and dont touch infected. If you're in public, refrain from touching an orifice, especially your eyes. Hell, I carry around hand sanitizer, anything that'll protect me and my family. If you do get it, take the medication they fucking prescribe you, you're not some tough bad ass for refusing medication.
                              This hasn't done me much good. I usually have one cold a year, I am on my 4th cold since November. I work with the public, but after every encounter, I use the GermX or I wash my hands.

I'm about to go full on Michael Jackson and wear a mask when I'm out in public.

Comment

Working...
                              X