Flu virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abecx View Post
    If you think the flu is something you can just tough out then you'll probably die like this poor woman. The flu has killed more people than humans have killed. The flu vaccine isn't bullshit, its efficacy varies because it is a guess as to which strain may occur. Why would medication go up because of that article? Flu season is half over and this month is its peak. Wash your hands and dont touch infected. If you're in public, refrain from touching an orifice, especially your eyes. Hell, I carry around hand sanitizer, anything that'll protect me and my family. If you do get it, take the medication they fucking prescribe you, you're not some tough bad ass for refusing medication.

If you factor that into any thinking, either pick up a book and read about how viruses work and how vaccines work, and educate yourself, or die knowing that you stuck it to the man.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JC0R5W/
    I am not anti vaccine but the flu vaccine is bullshit purely because they are guessing. Shit like smallpox and polio tbat actually prevents viruses is good stuff, but I don't get flu shots because of how sick they made me in he military. There was another recent thread where we were discussing it. But I don't get flu shots any longer. I will however to to the dr if I think I have the flu.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
      I am not anti vaccine but the flu vaccine is bullshit purely because they are guessing. Shit like smallpox and polio tbat actually prevents viruses is good stuff, but I don't get flu shots because of how sick they made me in he military. There was another recent thread where we were discussing it. But I don't get flu shots any longer. I will however to to the dr if I think I have the flu.
      This exactly.

The flu vaccine isn't even remotely as effective as most others. It's anywhere from 10-30% and in bad seasons like now...its on the low end of that spectrum. The polio vaccine is something like 90% effective.

And then there's the severity of the illness...the flu CAN kill...but it's not like polio or tetanus. So you have lower risk and reduced efficacy.

Lastly...half the time my wife gets it she feels crappy for a few days....thats all for a shot with marginal benefits for a virus you're unlikely to get most years.

So you certainly can't lump people who don't want to waste time on a flue shot in with anti vaccers. Unless they actually think it's govt mind control chemicals.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        This exactly.

The flu vaccine isn't even remotely as effective as most others. It's anywhere from 10-30% and in bad seasons like now...its on the low end of that spectrum. The polio vaccine is something like 90% effective.

And then there's the severity of the illness...the flu CAN kill...but it's not like polio or tetanus. So you have lower risk and reduced efficacy.

Lastly...half the time my wife gets it she feels crappy for a few days....thats all for a shot with marginal benefits for a virus you're unlikely to get most years.

So you certainly can't lump people who don't want to waste time on a flue shot in with anti vaccers. Unless they actually think it's govt mind control chemicals.
        How dare you think for yourself?!?!? Go get that shot! Toe the line so people like The King can sleep better at night!!

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
          How dare you think for yourself?!?!? Go get that shot! Toe the line so people like The King can sleep better at night!!
          I sleep fine 'Notch, what you or anyone else does or does not do is not my concern, but I'll laugh any time at you or anyone else donning their little tinfoil hats.

Thanks for thinking of me though, and don't let your guard down so those gubment meanies can get you!

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
            I'm pretty sure I advocated for people to think for themselves, and also stated the flu vaccines efficacy is not 100% however it is still worthwhile at removing a possible bullet from the chamber.

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
            I am not anti vaccine but the flu vaccine is bullshit purely because they are guessing.
            I'd rather have it and not need it... However I understand not everyone reacts the same, sucks that some can get side effects from the vaccine or at least general malaise.

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            The flu vaccine isn't even remotely as effective as most others.
            Yes it is... It vaccinates you against a particular strain that they notice at the beginning of flu season, however the flu virus mutates between multiple species and the winner may be different than the vaccine you received. You're a prime candidate that should read the book I linked.

Comment

This thread could use some insight from Dr. Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                This hasn't done me much good. I usually have one cold a year, I am on my 4th cold since November. I work with the public, but after every encounter, I use the GermX or I wash my hands.

I'm about to go full on Michael Jackson and wear a mask when I'm out in public.
                But even with the self-sanitizing you've done your immune system is most likely stronger than the general public. My house just got over the flu and amazingly I never had any issue. I believe the reason is when I started touching other keyboards for a living I rarely ever get sick anymore. The last few times I've had a flu shot it's knocked me on my ass for a week. Fuck that shit.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I advocated for people to think for themselves, and also stated the flu vaccines efficacy is not 100% however it is still worthwhile at removing a possible bullet from the chamber.

I'd rather have it and not need it... However I understand not everyone reacts the same, sucks that some can get side effects from the vaccine or at least general malaise.

Yes it is... It vaccinates you against a particular strain that they notice at the beginning of flu season, however the flu virus mutates between multiple species and the winner may be different than the vaccine you received. You're a prime candidate that should read the book I linked.
                  What definition of efficacy are you using? You damn sure made it up as opposed to using the English language definitions that the rest of us go by.

This year's vaccine was literally created for H3N2 and it was still fucked up. Even the CDC is stating 30% efficacy (which is overstated based on Canadian and Australian estimates of 10-20%).

These are hard numbers. How on earth can you try to twist it to mean something else?

To put it in plain English...You cannot say the flu vaccine is as effective as the polio vaccine without being a dumbass, a liar...or both.

Comment

^^^^
                    Dr. Google is in the house, LOL, and contributing CDC statements and plain English (albeit in simple terms) to the convo...

In spite of keyboard klaims to the contrary however, the flu vaccine I received protected against H1N1 in addition to the H3N2 mentioned above, along with two B strains. That's info I was given from an actual doctor though, and no doubt Dr. Google here knows more about it than she did.

Comment

Fuck you

Comment

Well, rather than post a big ass multi-quote, I'll just comment on what I recall reading.

I'm definitely not an anti-vaccinator. I've had all my vaccines and I'm fine so my kids will get them. The flu shot however, while it has never made me sick I just don't get it nor do the kids. I'm generally healthy and can't fathom the idea of a flu putting someone in ICU within 2 days which is why it had me thinking that those people had other issues. I know I'm not a bad ass but I really don't get sick that often. Maybe it has to do with me being a nail biter for so long and touching keyboards and shit, I mean, I do have my limits but I don't know. Although being early 40's, I may start to get it too, just in case.

BUT, this year really has me thinking twice about making the kids get it from now on. It's one thing if I choose to not get the shot and die as a result but kids, and schools in particular, are germ cesspools. I recall the most effective time to get it was like Sept/Oct for the upcoming winter, is this not the case anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                          This thread could use some insight from Dr. Dave.
                          IIRC, Dr. Dave posted a few years ago that he hasn't ever received a flu shot and has never gotten the flu. I'm assuming that he received the flu shot and many other vaccines when he was in the service.
                          Though I read it to mean that since then he has not gotten sick with the flu and he is an ER physician.
                          Originally posted by Silverback
                          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Fuck you
                            That's what I thought son. You just googled the definition of efficacy didn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                              IIRC, Dr. Dave posted a few years ago that he hasn't ever received a flu shot and has never gotten the flu. I'm assuming that he received the flu shot and many other vaccines when he was in the service.
                              Though I read it to mean that since then he has not gotten sick with the flu and he is an ER physician.
                              ...the ERs have no doubt been ground zero for the flu this year.

I never used to get an annual flu shot either and haven't had the flu (that I know of at least) in the last 35 or 40 years. That being said I've never had tetanus, diphtheria, or whooping cough either and I gladly accept the offering of a TDaP vaccine.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
                                ...the ERs have no doubt been ground zero for the flu this year.

I never used to get an annual flu shot either and haven't had the flu (that I know of at least) in the last 35 or 40 years. That being said I've never had tetanus, diphtheria, or whooping cough either and I gladly accept the offering of a TDaP vaccine.
                                Yes but that TDaP vaccine is much more effective than the flu where they are literally looking at some data and making educated guesses on what will be bad where.

I don't get the flu shot, rarely get the flu. My son and wife both get it and seem to get the flu more often than me, and it seems to kick their asses longer than the flu does me when I do get it. No scientific studies here, just what I see in my life. I do know if I think I have it this year my ass is going straight to the doctor for tamiflu or whatever they give you now. I have plans dying in the zombie appocalypse or fighting terminators, can't let the flu take me out of the game early.
                                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Working...
                                X