Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

‘Tremendous guilt’: Ex-Facebook exec’s regrets on ripping apart the social fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abecx View Post
    My god some of you are stuck in the fuck 1970's. I guess you dont think a white woman should marry a JC, or that Leon is contagious. Fucking get over it, the world is changing and this generations clicks are your generations mindless obsession over televisions and your parents mindless obsession over radio, and their parents mindless obsession over cocaine in a bottle. There is a shit load of free time in the world, filling it with trivial stuff is what humans fucking do. If you think sitting around a table means you should be talking all day then you must have a ton of empty fucking conversation.

I'm probably the only person on this site the could hold an intelligent conversation for hours, so unless you're me, shut the fuck up.

Also dont forget to like and subscribe and let me know what you think in the comment section below.
    Personally, I love our little PM chats.

Comment

My god some of you are stuck in the fuck 1970's. I guess you dont think a white woman should marry a JC, or that Leon is contagious. Fucking get over it, the world is changing and this generations clicks are your generations mindless obsession over televisions and your parents mindless obsession over radio, and their parents mindless obsession over cocaine in a bottle. There is a shit load of free time in the world, filling it with trivial stuff is what humans fucking do. If you think sitting around a table means you should be talking all day then you must have a ton of empty fucking conversation.

I'm probably the only person on this site the could hold an intelligent conversation for hours, so unless you're me, shut the fuck up.

Also dont forget to like and subscribe and let me know what you think in the comment section below.
      Penis haircut.
      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
      dont downshift!!
      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
        Penis haircut.
        I can't tell if that is an insult or not.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
          Penis haircut.
          First thing I thought of as well. Well, that and skater fag...

Comment

Internet thot

Comment

JITB 5 min?
              G'Day Mate

Comment

I 'effectively' shut down my Facebook last week.. I haven't deactivated it (yet), only because I have so much family connected there, but I deleted all non-family and locked down as much of it as I could. Reasons have all been discussed but for me it was primarily: 1. I tend to believe that it's impacting people in a negative way, overall, and is only getting worse; 2. Stories like the one from the OP (the former FB exec, and others I have seen) where there are clearly trying to fuck with people's behavior; 3. Frankly, the app has become a big pain in the ass and the full site isn't much better; 4. It did everything possible to keep from letting me see posts chronologically, and 100% of them, which is how I prefer to see stuff. To do so in app or full site required extra steps and sometimes the option wouldn't even appear on the app; Meanwhile, 5., it constantly showed me shit I didn't want to see.. Like Sean88gt's trolling comments on news articles and shit.. lol

I deleted the app (and messenger) a couple weeks ago, and intentionally avoided logging on, and after just a couple of days realized I didn't miss it at all.

I still look at Instagram, but that's just about looking at pics and killing time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  I do have that power...and it's why you've always been terrified of me.
                  What!?

Bitch, please...
                  Originally posted by Silverback
                  Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Interesting podcast if you have 30 min to kill. From the 'Why We Argue' podcast, this one is called Is Social Media Killing Democracy?

Listen here: http://whyweargue.libsyn.com/is-soci...th-regina-rini

In this episode we interview philosopher Regina Rini and discuss the effects of social media on democracy. Regia Rini is the Canada Research Chair in Philosophy of Moral and Social Cognition at the York University. Her research resides at the intersections of moral philosophy, psychology, and political epistemology. She also publishes popular work on topics concerning the social and political impacts of technology. She is currently working on a book about social media and democracy. She discusses the relation between social media and traditional forms of communication between citizens in a democracy, arguing that social media distorts these communications

Premise is that all nuance is lost. Social media makes normal people act like cable news "talking heads" because they know that their 'conversation' with 'one person' is actually being watched and eavesdropped on by hundreds or thousands of others which makes people just shout over each other to make a soundbite (or textbite) and prove how clever they are. It makes people feel like participants, rather than the observers that the really are, and it reduces their willingness to be openminded, makes people act as massively unequipped psychologists, etc, etc... but the podcast has more nuance.

Love this part:
                    It's kind of what we see sometimes when we teach undergraduates informal logic and they learn what a fallacy is, and they learn the names of fallacies as ways to, especially in the informal sense, as ways to engage with people – “Oh, well, that’s affirming the consequent, or that’s a false dilemma, or that’s an ad populum” - then all of a sudden that’s their mode of dealing with disagreement, just shutting other people down by way of some new fancy words that they’ve learned...
                    Last edited by Strychnine; 01-23-2019, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                      You should only use Facebook to sell things to idiot or to keep in touch with people you never talk to. There are literally herds of fucking morons on there who have absolutely no filter to their postings. Even selling things can be tedious at times because everyone thinks their fucking opinion matters so much.

What this ex Facebook exec is saying is absolutely correct. It is tough to put your finger on but there is an odd combination of narcissism, co dependency and brainwashing going on. What bothers me the most about it is that the stupid among us are the ones who can be driven to do all sorts of outlandish things very easily. It is the ultimate propaganda tool.
                      Quoting my comment in this thread. A great example is the incident this last weekend with the catholic school kid and the Indian. The facebook herds won't be swayed by things like facts or reason. They can't be proven wrong.

Imagine this tool (social media) when you combine it with someone with the personality, the mindset and most importantly, the motivational power of someone like Lenin or Ho Chi Min. This whole thing is going to be manipulated to where it will turn deadly at some point. A lot of people are going to die, or maybe I should say are going to HAVE to die before people open their eyes to what they are being fed. All it takes is someone to motivate these people to form into groups and actually do something in reality instead of on the internet.
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

I really just try to be a bad stand up comedian most of the time on facebook.

Instagram is for food pics!

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                          Quoting my comment in this thread. A great example is the incident this last weekend with the catholic school kid and the Indian. The facebook herds won't be swayed by things like facts or reason. They can't be proven wrong.

Imagine this tool (social media) when you combine it with someone with the personality, the mindset and most importantly, the motivational power of someone like Lenin or Ho Chi Min. This whole thing is going to be manipulated to where it will turn deadly at some point. A lot of people are going to die, or maybe I should say are going to HAVE to die before people open their eyes to what they are being fed. All it takes is someone to motivate these people to form into groups and actually do something in reality instead of on the internet.
                          Agreed, we're one "good" leader away from a shitshow. Go browse /r/politics on reddit. It's a fucking catastrophe. God help us all if someone mobilizes those 53 genders in the same direction and they all agree on one god-emperor...

Comment

The guy in the first video lost me when he said the people working in the restaurant "were just like me, BROWN skin." So that made me think that if it was a white person he wouldn't tip. I figured from that point on it would be a bunch of racial poor us BS.

Comment

I use facebook and instagram for business purposes and to keep up with friends out of state or country.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised the next time this happens it ends with people being hurt or killed and the media fueling the fire. The talking heads will be responsible for the next civil war.

Comment

Working...
                                X