No announcement yet.

Heart Attack and Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don’t know your BMI you should. If it says obese take a look in the mirror. Only you can fix it.

Comment

Glad you're doin better man. I'm not a militant vegan, but I have greatly reduced the animal based protein in my diet and have shed weight, drastically reduced symptoms of all the health issues I've had for the last decade.

Peep this and see what you think.

If this piques your interest, check out Forks Over Knives and What the Health.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Crawfish View Post
        If you don’t know your BMI you should. If it says obese take a look in the mirror. Only you can fix it.
        BMI is a joke. It calls me overweight at 5'10" 185 and I am a LONG way from overweight.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
          BMI is a joke. It calls me overweight at 5'10" 185 and I am a LONG way from overweight.
          Right, nor does it account for folks who have high muscle mass and are lean beyond the typical.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. These types of stories are getting more common now that I'm in my 30s and it truly does have a beneficial impact in my life.

A fee years ago I cut WAY down on my red meat consumption because of both health and environmental concerns.

After having my son I've cut my alcohol consumption to less than a quarter of what it was before (1 night a week max, just a few drinks). Alcohol is not just a carcinogen, but it causes so many other ailments too. With a little one in daycare, I also need my immune system tip top.

I've increased my fruit and vegetable consumption while trying to go organic.

Almost no artificial sweeteners.

I still need to reduce my caffeine consumption because it's way too high.

Comment

It’s an estimate mine is overweight by a bit also.

Comment

Wow
                Glad you made it man.

Comment

Hey man, glad to hear you survived... I was going through a hospital stay same to you were, sounds like. I was close to being on dialysis for the rest of my life, but also made it.

I know exactly what it's like to be extremely uncertain about a healthy future.... take care of yourself!

Comment

Wow, scary story. Glad you came back to share it.

On a serious note I can tell you exactly how weight makes you feel / perform. 6 years ago I was about 250+. I didn't weigh myself knowing it was bad. I got down to 203 and did two half ironman races. I felt way better. My goal was 175 or HS weight. Wife and I had a kid and 6 months later I blew out my knee. Not exercising but getting out of the damn car in the garage. I was parking up close to wall to give mom space and turned foot planted. Busted meniscus in two places. Now I'm back up to 238 and it sucks ass. Everything is harder. Signed up for another half in October. Time to get back on the right track or die too early too.

Comment

This is why I run my ass off, watch what I eat, eat oatmeal every day and get my shit checked often.
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                      Originally posted by racrguy
                      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                        Glad you're doin better man. I'm not a militant vegan, but I have greatly reduced the animal based protein in my diet and have shed weight, drastically reduced symptoms of all the health issues I've had for the last decade.

Peep this and see what you think.

If this piques your interest, check out Forks Over Knives and What the Health.
                        If your diet works for you that's great and keep it up. However I don't believe eating no or almost no meat is good for you. Humans need protein just like you need some sugars and carbs. I have seen people loose weight and say they feel better with vegitarian and vegan diets, shit like the keto diet, and high protein diets like atkins and the caveman diet. Key seems to be less calories and a more natural, less processed diet with exercise. There are too many doctors and health professionals recommending all these different diets for me to believe there is much truth to any of other than calorie cutting and more exercising.
                        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Man, that brought back some painful memories. Glad you survived it. For me, it was sudden and fatal. If I had not been in the office that day, I would not be here today. Like you, they had to keep bringing me back as my heart stopped. I believe it was 4 or 5 times with two of them being in the ambulance while they were transporting me.

I was in the same boat with the amount of blockage and I had to have bypass surgery pretty much right away. I had what the doctors call, the widowmaker. I too was in the hospital for almost two weeks, an additional week in rehab, and several months of out patient rehab. Thank God for insurance and the people at Baylor. I'm not exercising regularly and I'm more physically fit since maybe a few years after high school, certainly more than what I've been since I started working in IT. Hardest part has been changing my diet and I still struggle with that. Hang in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                            Shit, that's rough. Glad you're still here.

Of all the weird feelings your body can give you on any given day, what was it about that moment that made you 'know' and say that to your wife?
                            I honestly don’t know. I don’t remember anything from that day or the weeks following. Everything I posted was second-hand info from wife and family.

Thanks for the well wishes and kind words everyone.
                            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Fuuuuuuuuu. Interesting read. Glad you pulled through!

Comment

Glad you're still here.

This story and others like it freak me out. I'm BIG, and 40, and know I need to make changes. I've recently cut way back on drinking. Went from almost every night to about once per week. My wife has us doing a low carb diet, and it sucks, so i end up cheating at least once per week. Still better than eating crap every day, I suppose. I've been drinking more water. Still not getting enough exercise. I don't eat sweets, but my biggest vice is dairy, and portion control.

Stories like yours make things much more real.

Comment

Working...
                                X