Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone replaced garage door springs? Need help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone replaced garage door springs? Need help...

My rental property's garage door is in sad shape. I need to replace the overhead unit, which I can do..

But the springs are shot, I believe one or both are broken or disconnected from the cables, and I want to replace / refurbish everything related to that.

I am beginning research on how to do it, maybe YouTube can help.

Anyone know how to do it safe? If so and you want to help, I will pay for your time... this is South Arlington area.

Thanks much!

Chris

I watched a guy break his arm trying to replace them. This is one thing that's probably worth hiring a professional for.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
      I watched a guy break his arm trying to replace them. This is one thing that's probably worth hiring a professional for.
      Yeah, I wouldn't fuck with it. Those things are no joke!
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I'll third the pay a guy to do it. I've seen guys replace them before. One time my door came out of the track. I had to take the cables loose, loosen the spring, etc. to get it back in and hooked up again. Since I had seen the tech do it before, I decided to rewind the spring myself. It was the tightest I've ever puckered in my life winding that spring as I could just see myself getting stabbed by a piece of rebar that I was winding it with. I refuse to jack with them again. Pay someone to do it.

Comment

Pro only. Fuck that shit.

Comment

Where areyou located?

Comment

one of the few things i'll hire a pro for no matter what. The 100 bucks is worth it.

Comment

Done it out of necessity but now that I can hire someone I didn't do it a 2nd time. If it's old school long ones not that bad if it a wind up one, f that. When door is raised spring has least tension, so you start from there.

Comment

Google replacing garage spring gone wrong.
                  Your second google will be to find a pro to do it. Some serious consequences if you off that one up..

Comment

When I was a kid one of them shot through my parents bedroom wall. In the middle of the night. It was just hanging halfway out of their wall. LOL
                    WH

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                      Where areyou located?
                      South Arlington..... I-20 / Park Springs Road, north of 20. Martin High School area.

Thanks for the replies, yeah I have too much risk in my life already with work and all... shoot it probably IS worth the money to hire someone.

Chris

Comment

It's probably worth it to hire a pro for the job but I've done it myself a few times without any difficulty. Last time was just a few months ago. The old garage door opener went out and I installed a new one with all of the bells and whistles. I wanted to make sure that the door was balanced well so unwound / rewound the spring to get it right.

I went to Elliot's and bought a 1/2" round rod 36" long and cut it in half to have 2 18" winding bars. Always make sure they go all the way into the hole so as not to slip out accidentally while winding. Watch the direction that you are winding / unwinding the spring carefully and it works out fine. Just make careful movements and keep your body out of the line of the winding bars.

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
                          South Arlington..... I-20 / Park Springs Road, north of 20. Martin High School area.

Thanks for the replies, yeah I have too much risk in my life already with work and all... shoot it probably IS worth the money to hire someone.

Chris
                          Text / call my buddy Chad Cline. He'll take care of you. Tell him Eric Glasscock refereed you.

817-939-7899

Comment

Text / call my buddy Chad Cline. He'll take care of you. Tell him Eric Glasscock refereed you.

817-939-7899
                            Hey man, thanks a whole lot for the reply. As it happens I've already contacted Davis Garage in Arlington. They quoted me 225 to replace both Springs. Or maybe it was 275. I'm out of town but he's going to go take care of it and it is well worth the Peace of Mind! At any rate they will be coming out early this morning to take care of it.
                            Thanks again man

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Comment

817-939-7899
                              Dude

Comment

Working...
                              X