The Gomer story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gomer story

For those of you who are dog lovers and saw my post on Facebook about Gomer, I thought I would share the story with you here because I just can’t post it on Facebook worrying that my sister Julie may read it and have to relive that horrific event.
    Below is a copy and paste of what I sent to someone who commented about it.

“Re Gomer;
    Knowing what a dog lover you are, I thought I would share with you what actually happened because I just can’t post it on the Facebook page. Julie is my sister and Gomer was a 200+ pound white Anatolian shepherd / Great Pyrenees mix.
    Julie was in her kitchen when one of her other dogs started yelping really loud so she went outside to see what happened. She found Gomer had tried to jump over a 6 foot wrought iron fence and impaled himself. He was still alive and she tried to get him down but couldn’t because of his size. She got a ladder and tried to get him that way and still couldn’t. Covered in blood, she ran to her neighbors house for help. She lives in Paradise on 25 acres and her neighbor is a good quarter to half-mile away. She ended up going to three different neighbors before she found someone that would help her. This happened at night and I can only imagine what the neighbor thought seeing her knocking at the door, crying and covered in blood asking for help.

Anyway they jumped on a four wheeler and came back and got Gomer down but unfortunately he died just a few minutes after that. Julie is not unlike my wife Mary and is a huge dog lover so I can only imagine how devastated she had to be witnessing that.”

Thanks for reading and if you want to send her some good vibes, I’m sure she could use them.

David

Oh my God man! That is horrible! I can't even begin to imagine the trauma.
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Aaaaand I won't be checking back into this thread...

I'm still not over losing Watson very unexpectedly (but not quite as horrifically) 6 weeks ago. That was fucking hard to read

Comment

Damn, that's horrible.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Good gosh David, that is the worst thing I have ever heard. I am so sorry. RIP Gomer!

On another sad note, I had to put Chopper down last week. He did live a really long and happy life, nearly 15 years. Hardest thing I have ever done.
          Last edited by 46Tbird; 05-08-2018, 08:29 AM.
          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

geeeez ..

Comment

Oh, man! That is terrible! Very sorry to hear that. Danny, sorry to hear about Chopper, as well.

Comment

First of all, damn. That is a fucked up story. Kind of wish I hadn't read it.

Secondly: so sorry to hear about Chopper, Danny. That is deserving of it's own thread. There's lots of us that have great Chopper memories. I don't think I have the heart to tell Sara. She's gonna be sad. I know I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                  Aaaaand I won't be checking back into this thread...

I'm still not over losing Watson very unexpectedly (but not quite as horrifically) 6 weeks ago. That was fucking hard to read
                  I hear ya man. Mary tear’d up when I told about Watson. He was def a cool dog.

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                  Good gosh David, that is the worst thing I have ever heard. I am so sorry. RIP Gomer!

On another sad note, I had to put Chopper down last week. He did live a really long and happy life, nearly 15 years. Hardest thing I have ever done.
                  Wow, didn’t know that about chopper Danny. Sorry you lost him but I’m sure he had a great life with you!

David

Comment

That's pretty damned horrible.

On a positive note one of my friends had his dog disappear last weekend. He lives on 6+ acres out in Aledo and spent most of this week coyote hunting, assuming that's where his dog ended up. The little guy showed back up last night though.

Also on another positive note the wife and I planned on going to Martin House two weeks ago. We parked the car and this random dog was just sitting there next to a truck. Keep in mind it was freezing cold out so he was shivering and you could see his ribs. He had a collar and there was chewed up phone cord tied to it, meaning someone had him tied up outside. No tags of course and he wasn't chipped. The neighborhood around there isn't real nice and hardly anyone has fences.

So now we are fostering the poor guy through the Ninja Paws rescue. He's gained 3-4 pounds and is probably the most well behaved dog I've ever met. He's a pit mix and should weigh about 30 pounds when fully recovered.

Comment

goddamit.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

You might kindly suggest to her, next time to call 911, if she is in the city at all, county may vary depending on distance and where they are. My crew and maybe my volunteer FD would have came for that kind of deal in a hurry. May not have made a difference but our guys and FD could have offered a little support also. We also know where the 24 hour Vets are in case he could have been saved. I worry about this with my Mastiff. Well not jumping a fence she is 10, but having an issue with just the wife home. It's going to take a damn blanket, and four guys to move her. Also, results may vary, but hell we get called for cats, dogs, snakes, etc and respond to non emergency type things all the time. Most dispatchers are females and you you know they love animals.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I couldn't even imagine going out and seeing a dog that big suffering like that.

Danny, I'm so sorry to hear about Chopper, he was a cool ass dog, sorry about your loss, man...
                          Originally posted by Silverback
                          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

That is so sad.

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                            You might kindly suggest to her, next time to call 911, if she is in the city at all, county may vary depending on distance and where they are. My crew and maybe my volunteer FD would have came for that kind of deal in a hurry. May not have made a difference but our guys and FD could have offered a little support also. We also know where the 24 hour Vets are in case he could have been saved. I worry about this with my Mastiff. Well not jumping a fence she is 10, but having an issue with just the wife home. It's going to take a damn blanket, and four guys to move her. Also, results may vary, but hell we get called for cats, dogs, snakes, etc and respond to non emergency type things all the time. Most dispatchers are females and you you know they love animals.
                            Never thought of calling the FD.

I have a 95lb Doberman that doesn't like me to pick him up if I can even manage....
                            1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
                            1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
                            2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Labora View Post
                              That is so sad.

Never thought of calling the FD.

I have a 95lb Doberman that doesn't like me to pick him up if I can even manage....
                              I am PD but we get AC calls everyday. You just never know when you call, but in that situation it is worth a shot. We would kick our guys ass if they didn't go help her. I don't worry about it, as one of my officers can rustle a bull into a fence like no other. She also barrel races and loves animals. I have seen more dispatchers or Officers inquire about animals that were ditched than I can remember. They will check on them until they are considered abandoned and adopt them.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                              X