No announcement yet.

DIY Solar Screens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, don't just click all willy nilly on those links and buy. I didn't check sizes

*double check your sizes

Comment

I’ll have to get creative and will probably be forced to use some double-sided tape in a few spots. Some of my windows don’t have any channels at all.

Comment

I hate to be negative and not contribute something productive.. but I tried this once and it really does suck. I spent a bunch of cash on materials from Lowe’s and ended up with screens that bowed in the middle and frames that didn’t match my windows in color, etc. I tried to screw them to the frames so they held their shape and ended up cracking one of my window panes.

I would’ve been money ahead to measure them and let someone like ace hardware build them for me.

If you do tackle this on your own I’d buy the thickest frames you can find, especially if your windows are large.

Comment

Sorry man, it is pretty damn easy with the right parts and correct tools.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
            I think I'll need some kind of spring tabs or something to keep the screens in place on the windows.
            When I did mine, I wanted the entire window covered so I had to use these little clips and drill into the window frame and screw them in each corner. Home Depot had them. The windows on that house only had channels for the lower half.

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
              Sorry man, it is pretty damn easy with the right parts and correct tools.
              I’ve heard other people say that it’s not hard once you get the hang of it. I figure I might booger up the first one.

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
              When I did mine, I wanted the entire window covered so I had to use these little clips and drill into the window frame and screw them in each corner. Home Depot had them. The windows on that house only had channels for the lower half.
              Hopefully I can find something appropriate online. I’m 3.5 hours from a Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X