Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I almost amputated my thumb.. (Warning: Mild Gore!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
    Table saws are no fucking joke..
    This, and it's not just the blade you have to watch out for. My dad had a table saw kick a board back at him. Sucker hit him in the stomach, looked like he took a Nolan Ryan fastball at point blank range.

Comment

Ouch, man. That sucks. I guess you learned the hard way to not underestimate table saws. They can ruin your day with the quickness.
      Last edited by LS1Goat; 09-01-2019, 01:53 AM.

Comment

I'm always scared and super cautious when using our small table saw.... having the fence on the left side is kinda' disorienting for me...

Glad it wasn't worse than it was.

mardyn

Comment

I cut my left index finger on the center knuckle through the tendon and about half way through the bone. The tendon was repaired 10 days later. Bye bye 90% of left handed dexterity.
          It was 3-4 years ago and still isn't near right again.
          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

You got lucky! Fingers come off way too easy. I lost this one when I was 11 while hooking up a bush-hog to our tractor.

01 red GT - 745whp/780wtq Whippled 4V and built 4R75W

Comment

Originally posted by Fastlane View Post
              You got lucky! Fingers come off way too easy. I lost this one when I was 11 while hooking up a bush-hog to our tractor.

Do you get to park closer?

My first job was for a woodworking machinery manufacturer (table saws, ironically). It was a constant to see missing digits.

Comment

Just finished building a plywood shelf using my table saw... all digits still in tact.

After reading this thread, I count that as a victory!

mardyn

Comment

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
                  just finished building a plywood shelf using my table saw... All digits still in tact.

After reading this thread, i count that as a victory!

Mardyn
                  lmao!

Comment

I give this post one thumb up!

Comment

My high school girlfriend's dad founded whirlwind saws, and he only had 9 digits. IIRC, most of his thumb was gone.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Thanks guys and LOL@ Mardyn!

I certainly know better.. My grandfather was a professional cabinet maker for most of his career, and continued making furniture in the back yard until a year or two before passing. His BIL (my great-uncle) was as well (he worked for my grandpa). My grandfather was only missing one finger, the left middle to the middle joint.. My uncle lost all 4 fingers on his left hand, also to the middle knuckles (in one sweep)!

Both happened on table saws!

BTW.. I was in the 3rd Armored Cav for my last assignment in the Army.. Lots of tankers missing digits! Mostly from their time as loaders..

Comment

OK, this thread got me thinking. My brother is missing parts of 2 fingers from a band saw and a big toe from a tractor accident. My Dad lost his ring finger. And I lost my right eye. Farming is kinda rough too. Winks with my good eye.
                          Shooting for 1000 posts in 15, well make that 20 years.

6.2L Raptor, 5.9 & 6.7 Cummins, 09 SRT Challenger, 93 331R-block Cobra, 70 6-pack Cuda, 71 383 Cuda vert.

Comment

I somehow made it out of my last job with all my digits and only minor injuries and scars!

Working a high volume cross dock is serious shit.

Comment

Working...
                            X