Quick wire crimping question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick wire crimping question.

So usually every wire that I put a terminal on whether it is a crimp style terminal or whatever else I will always solder it in addition to whatever method was originally called for. What I'm wondering is for the larger stuff like 0 gauge and up what are you guys using to terminate the ends? I have seen this tool that when you put the wire into the terminal it looks like you smack it was some sort of hammer and it will set the terminal on to the wire. I really don't care for the set screw type of terminals because I feel like it tears the individual strands as the set screw bites on the wire.

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
    So usually every wire that I put a terminal on whether it is a crimp style terminal or whatever else I will always solder it in addition to whatever method was originally called for. What I'm wondering is for the larger stuff like 0 gauge and up what are you guys using to terminate the ends? I have seen this tool that when you put the wire into the terminal it looks like you smack it was some sort of hammer and it will set the terminal on to the wire. I really don't care for the set screw type of terminals because I feel like it tears the individual strands as the set screw bites on the wire.
    I use a hammer crimper like you're talking about. You have to whack the shit out of it, but I've never had one come loose. I always took mine out onto the street to do the whacking, because I don't want to crack the garage floor or sidewalk. The crimper device itself is very strong, so it's a lot of force going through to whatever is under it.

Comment

Good to know, I think I will order one.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Comment

So...off topic but I could've sworn 20 years ago you did not necessarily have to solder anything. Crimped wires stayed together with whatever connector. 5 years I solder everything because all the connectors seem like crap that I buy and BARELY hold it together. Hell, the 12ga and under - I don't even use them anymore - just use the heat shrink stuff.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
          i always took mine out onto the street to do the whacking.
          qotd

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
            Good to know, I think I will order one.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
            Do, they work well. All the battery cables on my 69 are welding cable with lugs that we used that tool on. There are two, one stamps a + and the other a -, for positive and negative, obviously. I ended up with a borrowed negative, but we put red or black heat shrink around them anyway.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
              qotd
              Outstanding
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Are they all pretty much the same, is this the style?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Forney-57637-Lug-Crimping-Tool/dp/B003X51S00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464380099&sr=8-1&keywords=hammer+crimper[/ame]
                Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Forney-57637-L...hammer+crimper
                  Mine looks pretty similar to that.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                    So...off topic but I could've sworn 20 years ago you did not necessarily have to solder anything. Crimped wires stayed together with whatever connector. 5 years I solder everything because all the connectors seem like crap that I buy and BARELY hold it together. Hell, the 12ga and under - I don't even use them anymore - just use the heat shrink stuff.
                    I don't solder anything, and I've never had any issues.

Comment

Funny this came up. I was having voltage drops under load so I re-crimped all my 0 gauge connections today with a hydraulic crimper. I tried a hand crimper and it held but wasn't tight. These put 10 tons down. No solder at all. Voltage stays at 13.8+ now even running .5 ohm on 5k watts.

I got mine at harbor freight but this one at amazon is the same and cheaper.

I did the whole truck (20+ 0 ga crimps) in about 20 min and the wire will separate before the crimp fails.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Battery-Terminal-Crimper-Crimping/dp/B00KHY7SOA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464394272&sr=8-2&keywords=hydraulic+crimper[/ame]
                      Last edited by FunFordCobra; 05-27-2016, 06:17 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Forney-57637-L...hammer+crimper
                        That thing looks like a piece of shit. That's the style though. I think other companies that make the tool have done a better job with it.

Comment

I solder everything and use heat shrink over the connections. On larger wire like main power wire from the battery I heat the shit up with a torch and apply solder until the connection is saturated...then I smooth it with a bench grinder until it will fit into the distribution block and then tighten down the allen bolt. I have yet to have a failure.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                            A unsoldered connection is actually better if well done. A soldered splice can make the connection rigid and prone to breaking. I tend to do a little bit of both and don't have any issues on our units that usually see a 6-10yr service life that is far from easy. Quality of connectors and tools play a part though.
                            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

I use a hammer crimp for 4ga or larger unless the wire is run in the vehicle already. If I am replacing a ring in the vehicle, I use a crimper that looks like large bolt cutters but has crimper jaws. The hammer crimp makes a tighter crimp.

Comment

Working...
                              X