Advantages/disadvantages of Farm Truck Tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantages/disadvantages of Farm Truck Tags

We have a buyer for my truck and we are going to buy a cheap used truck for me to use on the farm and then a car to drive to work.

What are the restrictions of having Farm tags? What are the benefits? I have searched everywhere on TX's DMV website and can not find what I am looking for.

The truck will be used mainly on the farm. Occasionally it will pull the car to the track and the atv's to places to ride.

Thanks
    www.dfwdirtriders.com

They'll bust your ass pulling toys around. you are limited to 150 mile range unless doing something directly related to the farm.

Comment

Can you run red diesel in it if it's tagged as a FT?
      G'Day Mate

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
          Can you run red diesel in it if it's tagged as a FT?
          ONLY if it never touches the road, As soon as it touches pavement its considered illegal because your not paying taxes on the fuel, that is used to maintain the roads.

If you do decide to run red fuel, I suggest getting a lock on your fuel tank, they can not dip the tank with a lock and it takes 2-3 days to obtain a warrant and by that time you can have the truck flushed out!

Comment

Originally posted by Stunter Bob View Post
            ONLY if it never touches the road, As soon as it touches pavement its considered illegal because your not paying taxes on the fuel, that is used to maintain the roads.
            So if the roads are in shitty condition, they can't do anything - right? /sarcasm

Comment

If you do decide to run red fuel, I suggest getting a lock on your fuel tank, they can not dip the tank with a lock and it takes 2-3 days to obtain a warrant and by that time you can have the truck flushed out!
              It is easier than that. Get a tank put in the back. Run fuel hose and pump to i under truck. Keep regular diesel in your fuel tank for random checks. Plug the lines to that tank. Claim tank in bed is for filling tractors.

No what are the advantages of farm tags? Less taxes? No inspection? what?
              www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                It is easier than that. Get a tank put in the back. Run fuel hose and pump to i under truck. Keep regular diesel in your fuel tank for random checks. Plug the lines to that tank. Claim tank in bed is for filling tractors.

A simple visual inspection will blow that theory out of the water.
                G'Day Mate

Comment

Your not that bright I can see. Its not that easy, They can check the fuel filter if they suspect your being sneaky.

And farm tags are just as they sound.

Read this, It explains in depth what your getting into.

Comment

so will a sniffer, the fine isn't worth the risk or the small amounts of money you will save
                    first class white trash

Comment

Your not that bright I can see. Its not that easy, They can check the fuel filter if they suspect your being sneaky.

And farm tags are just as they sound.

Read this, It explains in depth what your getting into.

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinf.../tx94_101.html
                      Thanks and not worth the possible hassle to skip out on less than $1000 in taxes. BTW I am not even looking at diesels. So not even sure how we got on that topic.
                      www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Thanks and not worth the possible hassle to skip out on less than $1000 in taxes. BTW I am not even looking at diesels. So not even sure how we got on that topic.
                        Most farmers drive Diesels.

Comment

Most farmers drive Diesels.
                          Not always true. We never pull more than 5,000 lbs and for what we want to spend we can get much more truck if we go with a gas truck. Not saying my mind is closed to it if we found a great deal.

We did find a 04 F250 Lariat Crew 4x4 with the 6.0, 105k miles, small lift, mud tires for 14,995.
                          www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Not always true. We never pull more than 5,000 lbs and for what we want to spend we can get much more truck if we go with a gas truck. Not saying my mind is closed to it if we found a great deal.

We did find a 04 F250 Lariat Crew 4x4 with the 6.0, 105k miles, small lift, mud tires for 14,995.
                            Not going to argue with you. Just telling you why we assumed you had a diesel.

If you have a "Farm" as you stated, then you would be hauling a little more than chicken feed in a bed of a truck.

Sounds like Farm tags wont do you any good.

Comment

"off road" diesel is not that much cheaper. Not worth the issues and you have to find a place that has it. I buy it in Van Alstyne..

Comment

Working...
                              X