No announcement yet.

Use factory sending units on old chev?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use factory sending units on old chev?

I'm trying to start the process of getting an RPM gauge in the fuel gauge spot, in my 1987 Silverado 2WD automatic. So of course I need to move the fuel gauge to where the clock was. I'm just wondering if I can just slap the new fuel gauge in there and use the factory wires and sending unit and stuff. Or do I need to do some other stuff? The water gauge was easy but the fuel gauge seemed like there might be a little more to it. I know some of you guys here own these old trucks so I thought I'd ask.

fuel gauge wire is nothing more than a ground coming from the sending unit.
    so yes you could use the wire
    GL

Comment

Only thing is, you know how those old trucks had a very wavy gas needle? Would the new gauge solve that?

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
        Only thing is, you know how those old trucks had a very wavy gas needle? Would the new gauge solve that?
        Doubtful. That is usually the sending unit from the tank.

Comment

I heard the old gauge was way too sensitive, and that was a big part of it as well.

Comment

My Autometer is steady as a rock on my '84. It utilizes the factory wiring.

Comment

Nice. I have heard from some of the chevy guys that GM really screwed the pooch on those trucks, when it came to that wavy needle that they all had. Not only did they screw up the tank end of things, they actually made the gauges way too sensitive on top of that.

Comment

Working...
              X