Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build (NOT an AR)

....are you suprised?

I bought this little jewel last week, Remington SPS Tactical in .308. It is their 20" heavy contour barrel, short action, bedded in a Hogue stock.

For right now the stock will stay, very light weight and comfortable to shoot. Whereas I have not fired this one yet, I have owned a FN PBR practically the same gun.

I picked up some new goodies or it over the weekend.
    Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark IV with M3 turrets (precalibrated for 168gr .308)
    Nightforce 30mm rings
    Nightforce 20moa short action base
    Badger magazine conversion from the drop plate (way over priced but other brands were more expensive still )
    (1) 5rd Accuracy International mag and (1) 10rd mag from them as well.

Now a few pics

I am replacing the bottom metal this afternoon with the new Badger stuff.

Rofuckingbust

Leupold goodness

turn to your target's distance and poa-poi is a no math problem.

The scope even comes with turrets for .223 and .300winmag....I believe you can send them your dope and they can custom mark a turret for a little jingle (probably a LOT of jingle)

I would love to get it built today, bore sighted in a few days and a range report by the end of the week. So many projects so little time.

Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Congrats on the purchase Keith, looking forward to the range report.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
    Originally posted by Denny
    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

I like!

I have always wanted to build up a nice bolt action rig.
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Nice, I've been looking at an AICS stock for mine. As it already comes with a mag conversion. I have the Rem 700 VTR.

Comment

Boy they sure are proud of those external magazine conversions, I was floored when I saw the price. Not at all worth it for me at this time, but very cool none-the-less.

Any other plans for modifications in the future?
          "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
          -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRK5 View Post
            Nice, I've been looking at an AICS stock for mine. As it already comes with a mag conversion. I have the Rem 700 VTR.
            I was on "gun buying suspension" when I bought this SPS and the plain stock I can sneak past my wife. An AICS would have raised some flags. Trust me I looked at the $849 cost of the stock with all the right mods vs the bottom metal I bought which was almost 1/2 the cost.

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
            Boy they sure are proud of those external magazine conversions, I was floored when I saw the price. Not at all worth it for me at this time, but very cool none-the-less.

Any other plans for modifications in the future?
            I totally agree, Badger and the rest of those people have set the market so damn high for that conversion we need to start making out own.

I plan to thread the barrel and maybe cut it back 2" for the suppressor mount and purchase a suppressor later down the road. I MIGHT change the stock eventually and keep this stuff on the shelf for another build or sell it to fund the stock.

Comment

Nice!

Makes me miss the ol' .223 tactical.

These are some really nice rifles and I much prefer to sit down at the range with a bolt action than a semi. You get a lot more for your money!

I was running this and it was nice, but the stock will need some work to get the badger unit in. http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...actical/Detail

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                I was on "gun buying suspension" when I bought this SPS and the plain stock I can sneak past my wife. An AICS would have raised some flags. Trust me I looked at the $849 cost of the stock with all the right mods vs the bottom metal I bought which was almost 1/2 the cost.

I totally agree, Badger and the rest of those people have set the market so damn high for that conversion we need to start making out own.

I plan to thread the barrel and maybe cut it back 2" for the suppressor mount and purchase a suppressor later down the road. I MIGHT change the stock eventually and keep this stuff on the shelf for another build or sell it to fund the stock.
                Haha I hear ya. I mean I like the stock that my VTR came with just would rather have something a bit nicer. I still need to figure out a custom load it likes best .

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
                  Nice!

Makes me miss the ol' .223 tactical.

These are some really nice rifles and I much prefer to sit down at the range with a bolt action than a semi. You get a lot more for your money!

I was running this and it was nice, but the stock will need some work to get the badger unit in. http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet...actical/Detail
                  Wish you were selling it right now. Your old setup is pretty much dead on what my next build will be to run my Trek on...

Where did you get your barrel threaded?

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
                    Wish you were selling it right now. Your old setup is pretty much dead on what my next build will be to run my Trek on...

Where did you get your barrel threaded?
                    The barrel was threaded when I purchased the basic rifle.

I had the Badger magazine setup installed by Euless guns and ammo since they were close to me. I was quoted 2 weeks and it turned out to be 6 weeks for something simple and they accidentally dremeled a notch by the hand guard that they had to touch up (it was a brand new stock).

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
                      The barrel was threaded when I purchased the basic rifle.

I had the Badger magazine setup installed by Euless guns and ammo since they were close to me. I was quoted 2 weeks and it turned out to be 6 weeks for something simple and they accidentally dremeled a notch by the hand guard that they had to touch up (it was a brand new stock).
                      I am trying to fit the badger magazine conversion right now. HOLLY COW it is frustrating. I sure hope I did not ruin this stock. I guess I can give it a try and if it doesn't look like it will work I will buy another Hogue stock for $79 and send it and the kit back to Badger to install for me. Their instructions quote $75.

Comment

That box mag conversion is sick. I wish I could do it but my only high-end bolt action is a single shot.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                          I am trying to fit the badger magazine conversion right now. HOLLY COW it is frustrating. I sure hope I did not ruin this stock. I guess I can give it a try and if it doesn't look like it will work I will buy another Hogue stock for $79 and send it and the kit back to Badger to install for me. Their instructions quote $75.
                          Post some pics of what you have done.. I have a Hogue AAC stock that I will probably sell once I put my Badger into my HS Precision PSS stock.

Comment

Well that was NOT fun.

Fresh out of the box and apart

Well that don't fit

Hogue stocks for those that are not familiar, are made of a rubber coating over a plastic/polymer frame and use aluminum bushings for the action screws. The new Badger peice uses a different offset for the front to rear bolts than the factory remington uses. I had to not only grind the opening (a given) for the magazine well but I had to lower the shelve for the rear bolt by 3/16"ish. That includes the aluminum bushing that would not come out. I was able to use my Dremel and grind it straight down with it in the stock. There were a couple of "slips" but here is the test fit outcome.

Here are the slips of the Dremel

Front came out pretty well

I don't think I could have ground it down any further. The mag well is a hair from the reciever.

Only took a couple hours and I think the outcome beats a 6 month wait from a gunsmith to do the same thing. I still need to pull it apart and torque it dowm for a final assembly. Scope mount tomorrow.
                            Last edited by KBScobravert; 09-20-2011, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Oh, I bought a bunch of AR parts so I can put a couple lowers together and mod another one or two in the process. That I know I can't slip with the dremel.

Comment

Working...
                              X