Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you shoot an attacker, aren't you presuming guilt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you shoot an attacker, aren't you presuming guilt?

CRAIG MELVIN, NewsNation guest host: If women are shooting potential attackers, aren’t they presuming guilt before innocence? What if a woman kills an attacker? Isn’t that opening another whole legal can of worms?

Sheriff CHUCK WRIGHT, Spartanburg, S.C.: Well, it’s easy to fix that. Just don’t attack a woman…. I know that this is controversial, but I do believe that people who believe in the Second Amendment and believe that they should arm themselves have a right to do so, as long as they’re trained properly.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

look to the "use of force" model. you can legally shoot someone if you think you are in considerable amount of danger at the time of the incident, not hindsight.

Comment

Here in Texas, you can legally shoot someone if you even think someone else is in danger. If I witness a rape, attempted rape, robbery, attempted robbery... the list goes on for reasons you can kill someone. There doesn't even have to be a person under threat of harm. You can kill over theft of tangible property. Its already in the law, so don't attack women and you won't get shot. Anyone questioning this is simply some fag gun grabber who doesn't deserve to live.

Comment

Jesus you are stupid.

Killing someone is murder. That is what the law says. There is no "list" of valid reasons to kill someone in texas penal code. There are defenses to prosecution only.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassics View Post
          Jesus you are stupid.

Killing someone is murder. That is what the law says. There is no "list" of valid reasons to kill someone in texas penal code. There are defenses to prosecution only.
          LOL

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
          Here in Texas, you can legally shoot someone if you even think someone else is in danger. If I witness a rape, attempted rape, robbery, attempted robbery... the list goes on for reasons you can kill someone. There doesn't even have to be a person under threat of harm. You can kill over theft of tangible property. Its already in the law, so don't attack women and you won't get shot. Anyone questioning this is simply some fag gun grabber who doesn't deserve to live.
          With your CCL you can blast some one else committing a violent crime? Here in Ok they have to directly threaten you and you meet it with equal force. Vigilante stuff is a no no here.

Comment

Note he didn't even mention CCL as a requirement.

Comment

Not exactly

Comment

Originally posted by onemeangixxer7502 View Post
                With your CCL you can blast some one else committing a violent crime? Here in Ok they have to directly threaten you and you meet it with equal force. Vigilante stuff is a no no here.
                you don't need to have a CHL to use deadly force to protect yourself/someone from being killed/raped/robbed etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                  What do you mean not exactly?

You listed the outlines of defense against prosecution, as is a defense of mental incompetence. In fact it works pretty much the same as a defense of accidental homicide in a manslaughter case.

Comment

This thread ought to get interesting. Anyway, I really like the thought process of; if you don't want to get burnt, don't jack around with fire. Real simple stuff sometimes.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Jesus you are stupid.

Killing someone is murder? Why don't we prosecute every soldier that has ever killed someone in action? There are justifiable reasons to use force that is deemed necessary for safety. If someone puts me in a life threatening situation and I shoot them (and it'll be shoot to kill), then I have not committed murder and will not be prosecuted as such.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                        Killing someone is murder? Why don't we prosecute every soldier that has ever killed someone in action? There are justifiable reasons to use force that is deemed necessary for safety. If someone puts me in a life threatening situation and I shoot them (and it'll be shoot to kill), then I have not committed murder and will not be prosecuted as such.
                        That's the legal perspective. As the law is written, killing someone is always illegal; there are prescribed defenses to prosecution. Under no circumstances should anyone assume carte blanche in killing someone because some hot shot prosecutor can ruin your day really fast, even if it was justifiable.

As I understand it, you basically have to waive 5th amendment and testify against yourself to prove defense against prosecution. That's why you shut your mouth after you pop someone, get an attorney, and pray like hell that no one digs up a post you made on the internet about shooting to kill.
                        Men have become the tools of their tools.
                        -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                          you don't need to have a CHL to use deadly force to protect yourself/someone from being killed/raped/robbed etc.......
                          It seems fairly implied that he would be carrying, because everything he listed could have been covered under a home invasion.Is texas an open carry state, even then you have to have some sort of license don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by onemeangixxer7502 View Post
                            It seems fairly implied that he would be carrying, because everything he listed could have been covered under a home invasion.Is texas an open carry state, even then you have to have some sort of license don't you?
                            Unless I missed the passage of the legislation for open carry, Texas isn't an open carry state.
                            Men have become the tools of their tools.
                            -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                              That is the conventional wisdom fallacy. Read up on how a murder defense operates. It is interesting. Self defense is a defense to prosecution, not an exception to the law, just like an insanity defense. Don't put your emotion into it, the law is intended to be objective. And yes, you can be prosecuted no matter how justifiable it may be. In many cases you most likely will be.

Comment

Working...
                              X