DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > General > The Back Porch

The Back Porch General Discussions for topics that don't belong in other forums.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
46Tbird
VIP Member

Default pit bull attacks TRAIN

We have to kill these menacing creatures!!!! At least this one has been left incapable of attacking any more trains.

http://news.yahoo.com/pit-bull-rescu...opstories.html

Quote:
Pit Bull Rescues Unconscious Owner from Oncoming Train

Move over, Lassie. A Massachusetts pit bull named Lilly took on a freight train last week to save her owner, who collapsed unconscious onto the tracks during a late-night walk in Shirley.

The 8-year-old dog used her teeth to pull Christine Spain, 54, off the tracks as the train approached. While Spain emerged unscathed, Lilly lost a leg.

The train's engineer, who didn't want to give his name, said he spotted the woman and her dog on the tracks just after midnight on May 3, according to the Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston. He said he tried to stop the train in time but feared he'd hit them both. When he got out, he found that Spain was unharmed, but the train's wheels had sliced through Lilly's front right leg, which was bleeding heavily.

An animal control officer rushed Lilly to an emergency animal hospital in nearby Acton, where Spain's son, Boston Police Officer David Lanteigne, met them in the parking lot. Lanteigne said he had a feeling of dread as he got out of his car, but Lilly let him know she was OK.

"The first thing I see is just those big, beautiful eyes just looking at me, and next to her, I saw her right front paw was severely damaged," he told ABC News. "I saw her tail wagging the first time right there."

Lanteigne said he rescued Lilly three years ago, thinking she'd make a good therapy dog for Spain, who had battled alcoholism, depression and anxiety for many years. He said Spain doted on the dog, and often defrosted packets of green beans to cut them up and put them in Lilly's food. Eventually, he said, Spain's drinking decreased.

"We saved Lilly, and Lilly saved my mom's life," he said. "My hope is that this story is going to get out and show what pit bulls are truly about. I hope by Lilly going through this, it's going to get other dogs homes."

Lilly underwent two surgeries last weekend at the Angell Animal Medical Center. Steel plates were implanted to repair her fractured pelvis and support her left leg. She now has a long scar where her right front leg was amputated.

Angell spokesman Rob Halpin said Lilly's doctors expect she'll be able to walk again, but adjusting to three legs will be hard for the senior dog.

Meg Whalen, one of Lilly's doctors, said the pit bull's rescue "captured the hearts" of the staff.

"She's got the character and spirit that sometimes trumps all our medical advances when it comes to recovery," Whalen said. "I think she's got what it takes to get back to her former self."

On Wednesday, Lilly tried to stand up when Lanteigne came by to visit, but her hind legs won't be able to bear weight for the next few weeks.

Spain, who Lanteigne said relapsed before her collapse last week upon hearing some bad news, was arrested on the scene and arraigned the following day in Ayer District Court on charges of obstruction and danger on a railroad track, walking on a railroad track and animal cruelty, Shirely Police Executive Secretary Ann Whiting told ABC News. Spain was not arrested on any alcohol-related charges, but she was placed in protective custody because of intoxication, said Whiting.

Lanteigne said the accident had been hard on his mother, but she has been helping him get ready for Lilly's homecoming by sterilizing the apartment and bringing over all of Lilly's favorite toys.

"Lilly's been her heart and soul," Lanteigne said of his mother's relationship with the dog. "Thank God Lilly was there."

This one's for you, Jodi.
46Tbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
ThreeFingerPete
Renato Laranja White Belt

I was hoping that by "train", that the dog had fatally wounded the shitty band.
ThreeFingerPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Broncojohnny
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
I was hoping that by "train", that the dog had fatally wounded the shitty band.
Exactly what I was thinking. I was going to say that it should be given a medal of honor from the United Nations or something.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Frank
Lifer

No shit! Look at the grip it had on it when the engineer tried to get away. Those bastards are stout.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
FreightTrain
Limp dick blowhard

^^^^^

LOL someone burnt up the rail. I've done that before, but not that bad lol.
FreightTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
momo
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

awesome story.

i do have to wonder how so many people pass out on train tracks. it's more understandable when it's NYC subways since you could fall off platforms but this combination of: Massachusetts, midnight, dog walk, freight train, and unconscious is quite ridiculous.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
yellowstang
Lifer

This story was one of those "edited for TV" type storeis. The dog actually was trying to eat the lady, and the train saved the ladies life by hitting the dog.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time, lol

yellowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
The King
Lifer

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$chewchew$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
The King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
ELVIS
Disturbingly Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$chewchew$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
well played sir.

god bless.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
jluv
Lifer

I can see them hitting her with charges for being on the tracks, but why animal cruelty? That just seems like overkill.

Oh, and I guess the dog is now well-trained!
jluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
Treasure Chest
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
I can see them hitting her with charges for being on the tracks, but why animal cruelty? That just seems like overkill.

Oh, and I guess the dog is now well-trained!
Probably since her drunken walk put the dog in a negligent situation, leading to the injuries.
Treasure Chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
juiceweezl
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasure Chest View Post
Probably since her drunken walk put the dog in a negligent situation, leading to the injuries.
Maybe owner needs ears cropped...
juiceweezl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
jluv
Lifer

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasure Chest View Post
Well, ya, but what a reach that is. I am an animal lover, and I basically think anyone who commits animal cruelty should fry, but in this situation, it just seems really nitpicky.

Edit: and I didn't add that stupid mad face on my post. Must be something with my phone and/or fat fingers, because it happens every now and then.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
War Machine
Lifer

I bet he had a baby strapped to his leg
War Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
ELVIS
Disturbingly Handsome

Quote:
Well, ya, but what a reach that is. I am an animal lover, and I basically think anyone who commits animal cruelty should fry, but in this situation, it just seems really nitpicky.

Edit: and I didn't add that stupid mad face on my post. Must be something with my phone and/or fat fingers, because it happens every now and then.
oh you mad!!!

god bless.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
Tyrone Biggums
Lifer

He mad.
Tyrone Biggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #17
Treasure Chest
Hell on Heels

Quote:

It's very nit picky.
Treasure Chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #18
71chevellejohn
my Maserati does 185
VIP Member

Were the train's stacks cropped?
Old 05-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
talisman
On Walkabout

Jared is furious!
talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
jluv
Lifer

I'm not fucking mad! Stop saying that shit!!!

Tags
dontrailonmebro