made a concrete hearth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• made a concrete hearth

Made a hearth with the help of Mustang1200. Didn't take a ton of pics, but here is what ended up with.

started with a 4'x8' sheet of melamine, didn't need it all, but used most of it. The overall shape of the piece was roughly 60"x22"x1.75". 2x4s were screwed to the melamine base for bracing. Melamine strips were used for the sides

siliconed the gaps to make sure it didn't leak and could hold the shape I was going for. Used black silicon so it would be easier to see and clean up. If I could do anything over again I would take more time cleaning this up and taking more time to get the edges correct, but it was hot as hell in the garage and my patience was running low.

Poured 1/2 the concrete added the metal lath(not pictured), poured the second half, screeded(sp?)it , smacked it with a rubber mallet a few times, and let it set up/cure for a few days. The concrete didn't stick at all and it came out of the wodden form super easy, I was impressed.

the (almost) finished product. The concrete itself is done, just gonna clean it, seal it and epoxy it in place. The picture looks stained, but just hasn't been cleaned yet.

this project is really about covering up the red brick with a faux stone that you can see below the new hearth, that pattern will continue up and complete the look

materials used:
    (1) square shovel
    (1) mixing bin
    (6) bags of Quikcrete purpose sand
    (1) bag of Portland white cement
    (1) 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" melamine
    (4) 8' 2'x4's
    (1) bottle Quikcrete fortifier
    (1) 8' sheet of metal lath

total cost was ~$120 because I had to buy everything on the list, including a shovel

All in all I'm very happy with it and I'm glad it was a DIY project that I decided to tackle. I've never messed with concrete before and I think we did pretty good.

That looks badass.
    sigpic

Comment

nice work

Comment

Looks good. I would have been tempted to try a crown molding to give it a bevel.
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

looks great!

Comment

wherez dfwmustangs logo etched in the top?

Comment

See that in handyman magazine a few times, been meaning to try it for table/work/kitchen tops.

Looks real good btw.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                Looks good. I would have been tempted to try a crown molding to give it a bevel.
                LOL, maybe next time. I was happy that it came out as good as it did with a plain edge.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Looks good man! Now stain that bitch.

Comment

Im impressed

Comment

Originally posted by aCid View Post
                      Looks good man! Now stain that bitch.
                      Thanks. I think I like the way it looks, just gonna seal it.

BTW, the PM I sent asking about pricing was after I poured it, but before I took it out of the form. I was not very confident it would work out so I thought I'd ask you for a price in case it crumbled when I tried to get it out of the form.

Comment

Awesome , Ive wanted to redo my fireplace with faux stone forever.
                        Vortex rear stand $75
                        8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                        My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                        but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                        11 4 door
                        13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

nice

Comment

Looks good. Working with the Airstone on the fireplace will be really easy and it will look great going all the way up the face of it..
                            GIFSoup

Comment

I know its a long shot, but if anyone wants this from you can have it if you come pick it up. Otherwise I'm going to chop it up and toss it.

Comment

Working...
                              X