Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bull Valley Gorge Accident

Read this on another forum. Crazy!

Sometime in the mid-50s, my mother's uncle and other relatives were supposedly out poaching deer and honky tonking in a fairly new Chevy pickup in Southern Utah, near Bryce Canyon (Bull Valley). Nobody knows what exactly happened, but the truck rolled backward into a deep ravine, smashing the cab and ejecting two of the three passengers - killing all three. The truck is still stuck in there and peeks straight upward, with the new chrome shining. Locals still don't like to talk about it much and even tried covering it up with sticks and brush. Thought I'd share. I'd still like to drop down on a rope and rummage through the cab.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Kinda odd but I would like to go down and see also.

Comment

[ ] picture
      [ ] video
      [X] RyanB tribute checkboxes

Comment

Over the years many Earth Science Pictures of the Day have featured slot canyons, remarkable landforms of the Southwestern United States and elsewhere. The slot canyon shown above is unique. In 1954, a highway accident claimed three lives when a pick-up truck tumbled off the road and into Bull Valley Slot Canyon in southern Utah. The arrows on the image point to the truck’s wheels that can still be seen high above the canyon floor.

Skutumpah Road crosses this slot canyon. The canyon is so narrow that boulders were wedged into the top of the canyon to support the rock-fill bridge seen from above in the second photo. You might find it unusual that a bridge needs to be pointed out when photographed from only a few meters away. To show the location my wife Elaine is standing at the middle of the bridge and nearly 200 ft (60 m) directly above Bull Valley Slot's deep floor.

Comment

Comment

37°28'16.74" N 112°06'38.34" W

Looks like a nice grade on either side of it, I can see them stalling the truck and rolling back into it...especially if there was less of a road then than there is now.

Comment

Working...
            X