Budget Aluminum cylinder heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Aluminum cylinder heads

I wanted to take a second to put out some positive feedback on some inexpensive aluminum cylinder heads I purchased for my 347 build.
    I picked up a set of Skip White NKB 185cc heads fully assembled with Hyd Roller springs for $650. They used to be a ProComp dealer but have replaced that line with these NKB's. They say they assemble them with their own hardware to eliminate the problems people had the ProComps coming apart.

I was skeptical at first but for the price I couldn't pass them up. My engine was to be a budget build and I was shooting for 375 to 400 crank hp. Their flow numbers are right between the TFS 170 and the AFR 185's.

Well - to my surprise my motor dyno'd 430hp/447ft lbs tq yesterday. I was very impressed and so was they dyno shop. We could have tuned some more peak power but since I was shooting for 400 max I didn't spend the money for a main girdle and didn't want to risk the block failing on the dyno. The 430/447run had an A/F Ratio of 9.4 so it still has a lot more in it.

The moral of this story is...not all budget heads are crap. I got near AFR performance for 1/3rd the price.

BTW - This is a fairly mild motor for my daily. All budget minded stuff
    10.2:1 compression (speed pro cast hyper pistons)
    Scat 9000 cast crank
    Scat H Beam rods
    Comp custom roller cam
    224/230 duration @.050
    .536/.544 lift
    110 lobe sep
    650 vacuum secondary BG Demon carb

they look pretty nice
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

I cleaned up the port casting just a little before installing them. Not sure if it helped or hurt. Polished the exhaust runners and combustion chambers. Do this to all my heads.

Comment

Good review. Been considering getting a set of these heads.
        1997 viper gts
        1986 turbo mustang
        1987 Buick grand national
        1972 nova

Comment

Well, I'll add these to my wish list.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by robert View Post
            Did you get them directly from here?

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...roduct=D&Sub=A
            From here but I used their Ebay store for extra protection since it was my first ever purchase from them.

Skip White Performance provides many high performance racing and engine products such as, stroker engines, turn-key engines, cylinder heads and pistons

Comment

Will have to remember these for the future.
              "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                Will have to remember these for the future.
                Yeah me to for my going on 18 year project car

Comment

Subd i want to see how long they last. Hopefully they last you a really long time
                  WH

Comment

another option I ran across this morning.

and a hot rod mag test of them against several others.

These might be a good option for a stock-ish street motor with less compression and cam than the one posted above.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Most of those cheaper heads are pretty decent. It is the valve train that is cheap junk. I would buy a bare set and put better valve train.
                      07 GT500
                      05 SRT10
                      88 turbocoupe T-bird
                      93 Cobra
                      86 coupe
                      Ducati 848

Comment

The flow tech stuff isn't bad. I have a hard time believing the flow rating on the exhaust side though. Skip White is now selling the promaxx heads too. Just a little more but built in the USA and have a 2 yr warranty.

Comment

Is this BOTH heads for $650? That's insanely cheap if so...

Comment

Originally posted by 86lxttop View Post
                            Is this BOTH heads for $650? That's insanely cheap if so...
                            Yes. Both heads.

Comment

Working...
                            X