DFW Mustangs    

Go Back   DFW Mustangs > The Garage > Tech

Tech Automotive Tech, Ford, Chevy, if it's tech, it's in here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
BLAKE
Lifer
 
BLAKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 20,513
Default How to start an old Ford tractor ('53 Golden Jubilee)?

Got a friend who just got this tractor for his farm. When he bought it a couple weeks ago, he watched it start up on the first try, but hasn't had any luck since.

There's surely not much to it, but I couldn't make it come alive. You fellas know anything about old tractors?
BLAKE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
mstng86
MEAT HOARDER
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a Speedo near you
Posts: 1,185
Default

Not to say the obvious, but, I would call the old owner and ask. Sometimes there's just a specific "way" to make it work.
mstng86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
BLAKE
Lifer
 
BLAKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 20,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
Not to say the obvious, but, I would call the old owner and ask. Sometimes there's just a specific "way" to make it work.
Tried that, got what sounded like simple instructions, and a whole lot of authentic farmer gibberish to go with it. We're hoping for something we don't need C-3P0 to translate.
BLAKE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
mstng86
MEAT HOARDER
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a Speedo near you
Posts: 1,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE View Post
Tried that, got what sounded like simple instructions, and a whole lot of authentic farmer gibberish to go with it. We're hoping for something we don't need C-3P0 to translate.
haha well that was my .02. Good luck. Any pics of the tractor? I think those old tractors are pretty cool.
mstng86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
BLAKE
Lifer
 
BLAKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 20,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
haha well that was my .02. Good luck. Any pics of the tractor? I think those old tractors are pretty cool.
Dangit, I should've taken a pic. It's in really good shape.

Looks just like this one:
BLAKE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
Snatch Napkin
Lifer
 
Snatch Napkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,694
Default

They flood real easy. We don't even use the choke on ours because of this.

Open the throttle all the way while cranking it to see if it has flooded.


Just to make sure... Have you confirmed you have the three main ingredients (fuel, spark, compression) to combustion?
Snatch Napkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
JimD
Lifer
 
JimD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Haughton,La
Posts: 16,068
Default

Pretty good looking tractor
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
BLAKE
Lifer
 
BLAKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 20,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffrazr View Post
They flood real easy. We don't even use the choke on ours because of this.

Open the throttle all the way while cranking it to see if it has flooded.


Just to make sure... Have you confirmed you have the three main ingredients (fuel, spark, compression) to combustion?

Cool, previous owner didn't use the choke either.

I haven't spent much time with it, but we do have fuel, I didn't confirm spark or compression, but I have no reason to believe that there's any problem with either.

Chances are HIGH that it's flooded. Cranking with the throttle all the way should eventually start it, right?

What do you think is the optimal throttle position for starting when it's not flooded?
BLAKE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
Snatch Napkin
Lifer
 
Snatch Napkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE View Post
Cool, previous owner didn't use the choke either.

I haven't spent much time with it, but we do have fuel, I didn't confirm spark or compression, but I have no reason to believe that there's any problem with either.

Chances are HIGH that it's flooded. Cranking with the throttle all the way should eventually start it, right?

What do you think is the optimal throttle position for starting when it's not flooded?
We crank ours up at idle. If it falters a bit, then small increases until it smooths out.

If the spark plugs are horribly fouled, then you may want to pull them and let the gas evaporate before trying. Yes, if it isn't too terribly flooded then it should eventually crank up at full throttle.
Snatch Napkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
BLAKE
Lifer
 
BLAKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 20,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffrazr View Post
We crank ours up at idle. If it falters a bit, then small increases until it smooths out.

If the spark plugs are horribly fouled, then you may want to pull them and let the gas evaporate before trying. Yes, if it isn't too terribly flooded then it should eventually crank up at full throttle.
Awesome, that us super-helpful. I think that's what I needed.

Thank you sir!

Edit: if this thing is maximally flooded, what would we do to fix that? This thing doesn't have a carb that's like anything I've ever seen.
BLAKE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
Snatch Napkin
Lifer
 
Snatch Napkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE View Post
Awesome, that us super-helpful. I think that's what I needed.

Thank you sir!

Edit: if this thing is maximally flooded, what would we do to fix that? This thing doesn't have a carb that's like anything I've ever seen.
IF it won't crank up that way, then remove the spark plugs and let it sit for a while. Take this time to clean them up.

The carb is a super simple one, which makes it baffling when something doesn't go right.

I have a Ford 8N, so I'm not sure how much of it is the same. Mine looks like a mix between Model T and Model A parts.
Snatch Napkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
BLAKE
Lifer
 
BLAKE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 20,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffrazr View Post
IF it won't crank up that way, then remove the spark plugs and let it sit for a while. Take this time to clean them up.

The carb is a super simple one, which makes it baffling when something doesn't go right.

I have a Ford 8N, so I'm not sure how much of it is the same. Mine looks like a mix between Model T and Model A parts.
Pretty sure this is an 8N also, just the 50th anniversary of Ford model.
BLAKE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
Snatch Napkin
Lifer
 
Snatch Napkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE View Post
Pretty sure this is an 8N also, just the 50th anniversary of Ford model.
That one looks tiny compared to mine, but it could just be the pic. Mine is a '47 or '48 model. I can't recall. I would need to look up the serial number again.

We use ours pretty regularly.
Snatch Napkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
Kustom
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,501
Default

check the air filter make sure its cleana dirty filter will act like the choke
Kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #15
Blakeski
Grumpy Asshole
 
Blakeski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE View Post
Dangit, I should've taken a pic. It's in really good shape.

Looks just like this one:
Oh wow, I had a very close friend die on one of those about 4 years ago. Still don't know what happend, all I know is he was found on the ground next to it and everything around him was burnt to the ground.
__________________
Wanna see my care face???
Blakeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #16
slow84lx
Lifer
 
slow84lx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,718
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeski View Post
Oh wow, I had a very close friend die on one of those about 4 years ago. Still don't know what happend, all I know is he was found on the ground next to it and everything around him was burnt to the ground.


Nice contribution.:shock:
slow84lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
fitzwell
Lifer
VIP Member
 
fitzwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Frostbite Falls, frozentundraville
Posts: 4,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE View Post
Tried that, got what sounded like simple instructions, and a whole lot of authentic farmer gibberish to go with it. .
I was gonna say call Bubbaearl, but looks like you got that covered...
fitzwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #18
Blakeski
Grumpy Asshole
 
Blakeski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow84lx View Post
Nice contribution.:shock:
Thanks! I just wanted to throw that out there!
__________________
Wanna see my care face???
Blakeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #19
FastFox
Time Served
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 588
Default

This one is not an 8N or a 9N. It is a totally different tractor. This one has overhead valves and was called a Jubilee because it was a 1953 model. Yes that was Ford's 50 birthday. My folks bought their first TV in 1953. It was a Philco that was made by Ford. It had a label on the front saying "Jubilee" . They got an electric clock that had a solid glass face that turned instead of the hands turning. I still have the clock and it still works. The jubilee was a good tractor, but never as popular as the 8N or 9N. That tractor has a cut off valve under the gas tank . It was there so you could shut it off when you stopped the tractor and that would keep the tank from draining dry if the float valve stuck open . Remember, there is no fuel pump, only gravity feed. Check that shut off. Sometimes the close by themselves. Also, tap on th carb with a small hammer. The float might be stuck shut. Good luck, they are simple and you just have a little bug somewhere.
FastFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #20
YALE
Lifer
VIP Member
 
YALE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Qin
Posts: 26,545
Default

Watch that PTO, Blake. They're man-killers. My grandfather got run over by his 8N once, while bush-hogging. He didn't get hit by the bush-hog, luckily, just mashed into the mud. He was the luckiest old coot on a tractor that day, by far.
__________________
I can't tell what's real anymore.
YALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:22 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.