Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many time do you clik a torque wrench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many time do you clik a torque wrench?

Iv always tightened until the right torque was achieved and then released tension and did it a second time(click it twice for a click type). A guy at my work was trying to instruct me that this method isnt correct. He said he was an aircraft mechanic previously and that he had been taught by an engineer to only reach the torque once. I don't really think it matter how many times you let it click as long as you don't keep tightening after it clicks.

Im a double clicker.

Once im all done i do a final one click triple check.

Comment

My wrench beeps and vibrates. Once only

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
        Im a double clicker.

Once im all done i do a final one click triple check.
        that's how I do it too.
        Vortex rear stand $75
        8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
        My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
        but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
        11 4 door
        13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

I think it's all in your head or whatever your habit is. Once it clicks it doesn't really matter, you're already there. With that said I'm usually a double clicker.

Comment

Technicly(sp) you should only do it once cause double clicking can change the original torque setting. Most things we torque on a car have pretty wide range of what is acceptable so a double click won't hurt.
            89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

Comment

at discount tire its required to double click the lugs. first in a star pattern then a circle. so...

Tesla Service Technician.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
                Iv always tightened until the right torque was achieved and then released tension and did it a second time(click it twice for a click type). A guy at my work was trying to instruct me that this method isnt correct. He said he was an aircraft mechanic previously and that he had been taught by an engineer to only reach the torque once. I don't really think it matter how many times you let it click as long as you don't keep tightening after it clicks.
                They've got a meter here at work to test the calibration of torque wrenches as well as the operator, double clicking increased the torque by around 5 ft/lbs, using an extension 6-12 inches long took some of the peakiness out of the amount of torque you applied so you can be closer to what the actual setting is. Using a wrench with no extension you can hit the setting you're using if you know what you're doing, but using one made it a lot easier. When we were testing I was always within the tolerance (+-4% of the value) without one, but once I used the extension I was within 1 ft/lb of the setting every time. Keep in mind I'm not a novice when using one, I'd never used one in a manufacturing setting, but I've been using them home wise since I was a kid, YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Name Here View Post
                  My wrench beeps and vibrates. Once only
                  This is the one I use but for simplicity I described the click type.

Comment

^^^^^
                    Same one I use works great.
                    Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

I don't think I've ever single-clicked anything, even with aluminum parts.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhatch View Post
                        ^^^^^
                        Same one I use works great.
                        My only complaint about it is that they need to redesign the battery end cap. Thing pops off too easily.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
                          My only complaint about it is that they need to redesign the battery end cap. Thing pops off too easily.

I hated mine. Ate battery and that damn thing would pop off.

I prefer the old school type. It was nice for convenience, and i still have it.

Now that i dont work on them everyday it sits in the box.

Comment

Im in the aviation (Marine Corps Aviation, which is governed by naval aviation) and we were always always taught to double click.

Personally I don't think it adds TQ just by feel because once you click it once you just pull/push it one more time and it clicks easily at that point. I'm sure there is some engineer out there can disprove thant means of mathematic equation, but it is what it is

Comment

Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
                              Im in the aviation (Marine Corps Aviation, which is governed by naval aviation) and we were always always taught to double click.

Personally I don't think it adds TQ just by feel because once you click it once you just pull/push it one more time and it clicks easily at that point. I'm sure there is some engineer out there can disprove thant means of mathematic equation, but it is what it is
                              It most deffinetly has been disproved.

I have the same wrench listed above and love it so far but only because of some of the other features it has like torque angle which is used so often theese days almost more so than an actual ft lb measurement at least for fasteners that require a more precise torque.
                              89 dove grey lx, turbo blowthrough

Comment

Working...
                              X