X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4EyedTurd
    replied
    Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
    That said, I think I'd enjoy industrial maintenance at the right place. Not that I have the qualifications, but still. Getting to work on/fix some of that stuff would be entertaining for awhile.
    False, it all gets boring as hell. 7 yrs at the current place and it’s boring but gravy train dayshift so I stay. I should be trying to make side money but I’ve made enough excuses to keep from that

Leave a comment:

• svauto-erotic855
    replied
    By the way; having a criminal record is not a deal-breaker for employment there.

Leave a comment:

• Gasser64
    replied
    People generally don't want to do that monotonous ass shit. Remember when you said you were counting off numbers in your head on the drive home after working at a Ford plant?

The real youtube stars say it's a lot of work, and they're busy with it all day long.

That said, I think I'd enjoy industrial maintenance at the right place. Not that I have the qualifications, but still. Getting to work on/fix some of that stuff would be entertaining for awhile.

Leave a comment:

• Broncojohnny
    replied
    I am in commercial real estate and talk with tenants all the time and often visit them in person. All down the midwest from Detroit to Memphis is the same theme. They can't get anyone to work. The owner of one company based in Detroit that makes subassemblies for GM plants told me that they had a shortage of 600 workers nationwide, the jobs are there but they can't find anyone to fill them.

You have two generations out there where an inordinate amount of people (not all of course) want to be Youtube or Tiktok stars, or worse yet, want to live with mom and dad forever. It is a symptom of interest rates that have been kept low for too long.

People will say this is caused by large amounts of student debt. The data on that seems to indicate that the debt is a problem chiefly for people who don't finish school. A whole lot of those people seem to fit in the two categories I mentioned above.

Leave a comment:

• dblack1
    replied
    Originally posted by Labora View Post
    Our company is going through same thing. Let go at least a 1/3 or more of staff when lockdowns happened now we can't hire people fast enough to fill positions and have very high turnover for the ones we do get so not getting back to numbers we once where.

This happened all over. I know a drum for manufacturing company in Georgia that has been doing monthly hiring fairs for 6 months. They have retainment issues, and cannot hire fast enough. They upped starting pay 20%, gave all existing a raise, and still lose as many as they hire.

Leave a comment:

• Gasser64
    replied
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
    Yes I remember when you thought it was real.
    Yeah.

Do better.

Leave a comment:

• Trip McNeely
    replied
    Remember when thought it was real? haha
    Yes I remember when you thought it was real.

Leave a comment:

• svauto-erotic855
    replied
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
    What about an electric leafblower for a turbo?
    When I first got my hands on a Dynojet I tested out everything you can think of including using a leaf blower for a Supercharger. You'd be shocked at how well that worked

Leave a comment:

• Gasser64
    replied
    Originally posted by talisman View Post
    That guy doesn't know how anything works. Remember when he wanted to use a lawnmower engine to run his alternator to reduce parasitic drag? He's that guy.
    Remember when thought it was real? haha

Leave a comment:

• Craizie
    replied
    That guy doesn't know how anything works. Remember when he wanted to use a lawnmower engine to run his alternator to reduce parasitic drag? He's that guy.
    Which guy? That Gasser fella?

Leave a comment:

• Trip McNeely
    replied
    What about an electric leafblower for a turbo?

Leave a comment:

• talisman
    Guest replied

Leave a comment:

• The King
    replied
    That’s not how income tax withholding works either.

Leave a comment:

• Gasser64
    replied
    Originally posted by svauto-erotic855 View Post
    That is not how progressive tax brackets work.
    Doesn't have to be how progressive tax brackets work. I'd work my normal days, the boss would say "Hey you want some more money? Work overtime for me!" I'd do it, check was lower. Checked it out, that's what happened. I even showed him my check next time he asked if I'd do overtime, and he never asked again. It's happened to me more than once. In the oilfield I had it knock off more than $100 once.

Granted I haven't worked hourly since trump made all those changes. This was years ago.

Leave a comment:

• svauto-erotic855
    replied
    Well if you wanna dive into that a bit, $20/hr ain't shit anymore. I remember when I was a teen looking for a job, $20/hr would've been the holy grail. I'd have been wealthy. Now it's like minimum wage. It's 41k a year if you do a full time job. To get the real money out of it, you need to work some overtime while still making sure you don't fall into that higher tax bracket where it turns out you worked a 12 hour shift for fucking free.I'm sure that shit tons of free work gets done every year for that reason. People not paying attention.

So it's not all as it seems, there's a lot to consider. These days the numbers they put out there are just bait, and then you find out what the real story is later. Nobody wants the donut factory probably cause you don't have a life and when all is said and done you made ok money. I've done lots of factory work in my day, you usually end up living there to make any kind of money, then after a year or two you burn out and quit, and you're looking for something else to do with less pay but more freedom.

That is not how progressive tax brackets work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X