Just a stray idea (from a moron)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a stray idea (from a moron)

After watching some youtube vids and posting a vid in the other forum, it got me thinking about this again. A few times over the years I have wondered this. Could you build a walking, man shaped robot out of hydraulics? I was thinking of something like a cross between the terminator, and that loading dock thing from the movie "Aliens" that Sigourney Weaver used to fight the queen. It wouldn't have to have a head and glowing read eyes, obviously. I am thinking of something that could conceivably have a practical application. It could run a voice recognition program, just like any help center's cheapo way to... be cheap. If they can make one say "If you want to pay your bill, please say: 'Pay my bill'" and have that work, then a robot can take voice commands.

And I have run into some pretty sophisticated voice command programs for those darn call centers. So you could slap that on there, to handle the voice commands. And since it is made out of hydraulics, its pretty strong and can lift pallets full of goods and set it somewhere for you. I think it could be made to walk with man-like legs without too much difficulty. We've all seen the videos where they make some robot-thing walk around. Thats not the hard part.

And, it could just simply be programmed for voice commands to set it on a certain, predefined path. You just better make dam sure that nothing is in its way lol. Cause if it is, its going to get run over. I think the main issue with why this wouldn't work, is power. But what if you had like a little onboard generator? Like a little weed eater motor or something? Or if that's not enough, then use a lawnmower motor or something a little larger than the weed eater motor. It wouldn't have to be loud, you can get a little muffler/exhaust system that would make it pretty quiet. And that little motor just spins a little alternator which of course charges some batteries for the electric motors. A lot like a car. Just something I have always wanted to try to do, if I ever had a boatload of spare cash laying around lol
    herp
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

derp

As I'm sure everyone here has heard, using too many extension cords, wall adapters, and in some cases power strips, can be a fire hazard. I'm not an electrician, in fact I would call myself an electricity noob.

So what exactly is it, about combining too much of this stuff, that causes it to be a fire hazard? This might sound dumb, (probly cause it is) but what occurs to me first is, that it allows for more joints for dust and grime to get in. What else?

And more specifically, How can you combine a few things, and minimize the fire hazard? My first thought would be to make sure all the cords and adapters are rated for the same current/voltage. And then, make sure you are not pulling too much through them, or even approaching their limit. Other than that, what else can be done to make a safe daisy chain of cords and power strips? In some cases you just don't have the time, the funds, or the know-how to install a new outlet where you need one.

Comment

What actually happens to gasoline?
      As we all know, gasoline has a shelf life. You can't just put it in your tank, or in a container, walk away for a year, and come back and have the gas still be good. So what is it that actually makes it go bad? Is it exposure to the air? If so, couldn't you just put it in a completely sealed off container to keep it from going bad? Or is there nothing you can do except put in those additives that extend its life span?

And how long will it last with a good additive?
      derp

Comment

WIN! lol

Comment

herp

That's why I always wondered how a turbo is called so "efficient". A lot of force is needed, and the exhaust needs to be able to get by without being bottled up very much. But the turbo lets it go by on it's terms. Just seems strange to me that there isn't some form of drawback or parasitic loss coming from a turbo.

Comment

"Tony Stark built this is a cave! With a bunch of scraps!!"

Comment

derp

Ok new idea. What about a separate 18hp lawnmower engine, rigged up to burn it's own gas and make it's own power, to run the alternator. Then the alternator is just hooked up to the car like normal. All under the hood. You just make sure your little lawnmower motor has gas, and you only run it when it's race day. The 5.0L engine exhaust could be loud enough to mask the lawnmower motor's noise, and you could also put a quiet exhaust system on the lawnmower motor.

Then, you can pump all the juice you want into that damn electric turbo, with no penalty to your main engine. Cause it ain't having to spin the high amp alternator you are going to need for this.

Comment

lawnmower engine driving alternator = pinnacle of human technology

Comment

LMGDAO I wish I remembered who posted those.

Comment

What's his screen name here?

EDIT - My guess was correct.

Comment

Oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck, my head's going to explode from reading all this stupid.

Comment

I found a good one

I know this has probly been covered a billion times already, but eh, I've never been one to care. Electric water pumps.

1. Will they end up saving you any money at the gas pump?

2. Are they reliable enough to be able to count on for a daily driver?

I have of course been watching "Horsepower TV" where they put this on some green early 90's camaro and boosted the fuel economy a little bit. With a couple other things of course but the water pump was part of it.

Comment

gotta be ldcharmony or fofivesix

Comment

Originally posted by grove rat View Post
                            gotta be ldcharmony or fofivesix
                            Keep guessing.

Comment

justin95

Comment

Working...
                              X