One thing led to another.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One thing led to another.

Ok, I have had monster systems in cars my entire life, I am very proficient at wiring and building boxes. Also back in the day I had a Yamaha Passive Receiver, Yamaha B2X amp straight from Japan, and some Infinity SM152 speakers. When I tell you, you could watch the walls move on my house I am not kidding. For some reason I fell off the wagon for the last 20 years.

So, I had a decent 60 inch and Sony Soundbar. It sounds pretty good but I liked that it turned on and off with the TV and there's no set up. Black Friday rolled around and my wife fell in love with the OLED TV's. I picked a top of the line 65 up for like 1200 from Best Buy. Well, I saw a couple of people drooling over the JBL 9.1 with satellite speakers so I snatched one up. Got it home and the TV is amazing, and the sound bar was pretty decent. It has upward firing detachable satellites and can run Atmos. Movies, sports, and video games sounded pretty cool. Well, then I slapped on some music. It was flat and dreadful so I took it back and went on the hunt.

The first house I went to in the luxury gated community had to have been a million dollar house. Bought some bad ass Revel speakers and center channel for 750. Guy wanted to try some B&W. Second house I ended up in around 11p, was three times the size of the first. Again, guy wanted to try a Marantz and he had a two year old Pioneer 9.2 Elite for well under half price. I got it home and realized he had bastardized all the settings and was probably hating it. Even with no sub this thing sounds amazing. I watched Fury Road the other night, and it was better than in the theatre. Well, now I have a new damaged box Monolith 12 THX coming, 4 damaged box Polk XT20's and 4 freaking ceiling speakers., hey the matching Revels are like 1500 a pair for surrounds. I am stoked (There's an 80s word). While the JBL was impressive it will never touch a 3.1 or 5.1 cheapy set up. The wild thing about the Revels is all three 8's have a different cross over and one plays down to 32 HZ. That's pretty impressive. So far about 6k worth of stuff for 1650 used and another 1500 in new damaged box stuff. I think a 8k system for 3k is not to bad. No cow skin rug but came out decent. I will report back when the rest comes in and I am running 7.1.4.

Edit, snagged a used Monolith for 450.00 today so I may end up around 2500.00
    Last edited by kingjason; 12-09-2022, 02:44 AM.
    Whos your Daddy?

While I bet that is going to sound awesome, here at my house it would be a total waste as everyone else would be yelling at me to turn it down/off.
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
      While I bet that is going to sound awesome, here at my house it would be a total waste as everyone else would be yelling at me to turn it down/off.
      There is only two of us. The other night when I was watching Fury Road, I was like oh shit that was loud. The next morning she just said it only woke her up once. I do need to set it up for a little more voice. This thing probably has a night mode.

When I cranked up the sound bar the other day, the 12 inch sub actually was decent. My dogs were just sitting in the middle of the room looking around.
      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Wish I could find a way to do height speakers in my living room, but a single sloped ceiling is a problem for Atmos. I have Yamahas 2nd from the top Aventage Atmos 9.1 receiver and some badass Boston Acoustics powered speakers..and so far no reasonable way to do height speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
          Wish I could find a way to do height speakers in my living room, but a single sloped ceiling is a problem for Atmos. I have Yamahas 2nd from the top Aventage Atmos 9.1 receiver and some badass Boston Acoustics powered speakers..and so far no reasonable way to do height speakers.
          I am about to try stands on the edge of my mantle, shortened down until everything comes in. Basically, after hours of research they say 5.1 is the gold standard. I think 5.1.2 is second and then like 7.1.4 then 7.2.4. But they say the return after 5.1 is minimal the higher you go. Unless you game and then certain movies. Then they narrow it down by up firing Atmos, Heights, then the winner, four in the ceiling. I just want to watch the new Top Gun in at least 5.1.2.

I just cut my subwoofer cost to half. What are the odds a 12 inch Monolith THX would pop up today in Haslet, so I cancelled my Amazon order. That guy had a 15 in. something high end and a separate SVS 12 Pro. He said he couldn't here the Monolith 12 when the 15 was running. I wonder if people realize your not supposed to really know its pumping out bass. More of a sonic boom. I think it sounds superb and holy shit it is big.

I did find the magic turn off crazy shit unless the volume is at a certain point setting. My wife, dogs, and fish should appreciate that for her how to murder your husband shows she likes to watch.
          Last edited by kingjason; 12-09-2022, 02:42 AM.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
            I am about to try stands on the edge of my mantle, shortened down until everything comes in. Basically, after hours of research they say 5.1 is the gold standard. I think 5.1.2 is second and then like 7.1.4 then 7.2.4. But they say the return after 5.1 is minimal the higher you go. Unless you game and then certain movies. Then they narrow it down by up firing Atmos, Heights, then the winner, four in the ceiling. I just want to watch the new Top Gun in at least 5.1.2.
            I have 5.1 in the living room and 7.2 in the media room and both rooms have high ceilings, while the 5.1 works great the 7.2 in the median room fucking rocks with Dolby Atmos, especially with Blade Runner 2049. I can't wait to get the new Top Gun Movie, of course this is with 4k movies.
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
              I have 5.1 in the living room and 7.2 in the media room and both rooms have high ceilings, while the 5.1 works great the 7.2 in the median room fucking rocks with Dolby Atmos, especially with Blade Runner 2049. I can't wait to get the new Top Gun Movie, of course this is with 4k movies.
              That's funny. Found a matching Buffet today for the living room and powered through and got my 5.1 up and running. I figured while I was there I would wire the front heights. They should be in tomorrow. The funny part is I just finished watching the intro into Blade Runner 2049, and I bought Top Gun Maverick tonight. I don't want to watch all of Blade Runner until I get the fronts running. Currently watching some fucked up Wynona Ryder moving and turning the low volume EQ boost off should not wake the Grinch.

Edit: At 5.1.2 now and watched Bladerunner in the back ground again. Sounded trick when he flies overhead. I'm almost, almostttt, thinking this is good enough. Ok, my MIL bought some speakers and stands in my Amazon that I was researching. So, maybe 7.1.2. I mean, since I will have it and two more in back are easy. I might see what someone would charge me to do the overheads since I have them but I am not sure it is worth all the extra effort. I am getting to old to be climbing around in the attic and this thing sounds delightful. Also, I sit in a recliner on the right of the room. 5 might be better then seven. If it is right and left, that second one on the right might be off when something goes by if I am slightly to the right of it.
              Last edited by kingjason; 12-11-2022, 01:43 PM.
              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

OK, as it turns out my Pioneer is 11.2 capable. So, I had to buy a two channel amp to run the back surrounds, I still can't figure out why it has all the connections if it only does 140x9 or something. I love everything interacts together now so I don't need 15 remotes. I am at full on 7.1.4 now. Top gun was a spectacular. Now that I have everything set up and tuned it is better then going to the Theatre. On a side note, I have to power it down if I am watching anything crazy at 2am but my TV has some sort of simulated surround and sounds decent for watching crap movies late.. The Monolith 12 rattles through the entire house, I can't imagine having two subs and I am a base guy. Honestly, if I had to do it again 5.1.2 sounded great and you can get that new fairly cheap. You can tell a difference on really great movies but the price increase and wiring is fairly dramatic. I don't think the bang for buck is there. Oh, and I couldn't figure out why my base was low the other day. Fucking dog likes to look out that window and had rolled everything counter clockwise. Dick.
                Last edited by kingjason; 02-01-2023, 03:10 AM.
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Pics of dog?

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                    Pics of dog?
                    She said she has not signed a consent form for online pictures. She is an asshole that loves to swim, sneak things off the counter, and generally menace the house. Funny as hell though. I was cooking fajitas the other day, and left them on the side of the BGE to cool. Came in for a beer, went back out, she had a whole one in her mouth. We just had to laugh, my said she knew she was going to get in trouble, but the risk vs reward was to great to pass up.
                    Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
                      If your layout has a front and back wall at the right distances, you can certainly do it. I'm now set up for 7.2.4 in a big open living room with vaulted ceilings (with the actual living room area being under one vaulted half). I've switched around from 5.2.2 to 7.2.2 over the past couple of years, but kinda went crazy over the past month with all new stuff. I'm excited to get the four rear heights up and running, because the front heights sound great, and I know I've been missing out on the full experience. My TV is on the front wall, with MLP about 2/3 the way back from it, with about 1/3 space remaining to the back wall. The ceiling angles up from right to left. While not as ideal as properly placed, quality in-ceiling speakers, I would take wall-mounted heights over upfiring speakers any day, even if I had flat ceilings.

There is certainly a faction of 5.1 diehards in the home theater community, but most are just stubborn and/or haven't listened to a well-designed setup and good object-based content. I used to think Atmos was a gimmick, and just a marketing ploy to get people to buy new AVRs and more speakers, but it's truly a whole different experience. I still think upfiring speakers are a tad gimmicky on paper, but admittedly haven't listened to them. I think having four top or height channels is key. There is plenty of content you miss out on with just two.

Edit: At 5.1.2 now and watched Bladerunner in the back ground again. Sounded trick when he flies overhead. I'm almost, almostttt, thinking this is good enough. Ok, my MIL bought some speakers and stands in my Amazon that I was researching. So, maybe 7.1.2. I mean, since I will have it and two more in back are easy.
                      If I was limited to 9 (non-sub) channels, I would do 5.x.4 before 7.x.2, but with a big enough room, I think 7.x.4 is the way to go for watching movies.

I might see what someone would charge me to do the overheads since I have them but I am not sure it is worth all the extra effort. I am getting to old to be climbing around in the attic and this thing sounds delightful.
                      Man, if you have a flat ceiling and access to place top speakers properly, I think you should go for it! I don't think heights are bad at all, but you're already deep into the rabbit hole, so why stop now?

Also, I sit in a recliner on the right of the room. 5 might be better then seven. If it is right and left, that second one on the right might be off when something goes by if I am slightly to the right of it.
                      Ya, sitting off to the side kinda sucks. Have you tried any room correction software? Your Yamaha has YPAO, right? Did you get the mic and stuff with it when you picked it up? You can do some pretty wild stuff with good room correction. It would probably be way wonky for anyone else in the room, though.

OK, as it turns out my Pioneer is 11.2 capable.
                      Now you're cooking!

So, I had to buy a two channel amp to run the back surrounds, I still can't figure out why it has all the connections if it only does 140x9 or something.
                      Squeezing a jillion channels of processing and amplification into one box starts to get pretty crazy. I think most people going with bigger setups are doing the external amplification thing, now, even with AVRs. It's cheaper than going pre/pro/separates, but with similar results. There are several benefits to doing so, as long as your receiver has the pre-outs for it. Any decent quality amp should give you rated power with all channels driven, where AVRs start to drop off quite a bit above two. The more you add, the lower the output goes. External amps also take workload off of the AVR, and should help it run cooler and just work better (for processing). I would, at minimum, run the LCR channels with a good 3-channel amp, and let the AVR do the light amplification work with your surrounds and heights, but there's plenty of ways to skin a cat. My Marantz SR8015 has 11 channels of amplification and then processing for 13.2, but I have an Outlaw 7000x for the seven floor speakers and the AVR to run the four heights.

I love everything interacts together now so I don't need 15 remotes.
                      Are you using CEC (HDMI control)? Man, I hate it, and I disable it on every piece of equipment I can, first thing. Too many issues. I use a Harmony One, but the wife hates it, so I have a Sofabaton X1 on the way that I'll be trying out.

I am at full on 7.1.4 now. Top gun was a spectacular. Now that I have everything set up and tuned it is better then going to the Theatre.
                      Hell yeah! That's what's up!

Honestly, if I had to do it again 5.1.2 sounded great and you can get that new fairly cheap. You can tell a difference on really great movies but the price increase and wiring is fairly dramatic. I don't think the bang for buck is there.
                      Really? Bah! Keep watching lots of 4k content with Atmos for a while, and then disable all but 5.1 one day and see if you feel the same. I bet you won't. Immersion/surround sound vs object-based audio are two vastly different experiences.

Anyway, congrats on your journey. I bet it sounds awesome.

Comment

Yes, I used the room correction software, and just set it up for the center couch, right where the last recliner is in the center. I like balance, and if I watch anything great, I sit there. I just need a new couch my recliner bit the dust on this end.

Don't get me wrong, I loveeee the set up, but if I had limited funds I think 5.1 is the best bang for your buck, least amount of hassle, and way better then a soundbar.

I do have a flat ceiling but it lowers behind my couch slightly. While there is no debate that height and overhead speakers destroy top firing, there is much debate about the ole height vs overheads. It was even said that they only went Atmos, because they got beat to the punch on height speakers. I can't for the life of me remember what the other is called, DTS maybe. I am sure they will have 9.4.10 soon for a gazillion dollars. I dig it though, and for what I paid I think I stole it. I was having some slight issues with the ole Pioneer but it turned out it was all due to being in Eco mode.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I thought this might be about INXS…..dang.
                          1983 Mustang Coupe

Comment

Working...
                          X