No announcement yet.

Taking care of a new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late chiming in but you could look into doing a ceramic coating on the car. Lasts 2-4 years with proper maintenance compared to 6 months with a good sealant and 2-3 months of a wax.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

I do lots of ceramic coating on new cars and all cars. Ha.
    www.facebook.com/hilldetailworks

Comment

Originally posted by Counterfiend View Post
      Late chiming in but you could look into doing a ceramic coating on the car. Lasts 2-4 years with proper maintenance compared to 6 months with a good sealant and 2-3 months of a wax.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

I do lots of ceramic coating on new cars and all cars. Ha.
      I thought about doing the ceramic coating. Right now, not having the vehicle for a day or two, and the cost led me to a WOWA type coating.

I just had the hood on my civic repainted, and the car buffed. I am less than thrilled with the buff job. For the most part it looks better, however, there are now swirls over most of the car, and a good bit of the hazing that the buff was supposed to take care of, is still present. It may be time for me to invest in a DA and learn to do some paint correction.
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

If the bodyshop buffed it than yeah, they never do the job right. I've buffed several cars that had brand new fresh paintjobs.

Where are you located? Id be glad to take a look at the civic hood for you and discuss options for ceramic coating the car.

I can do the whole car in 1 day if there is no correction needed. Roughly 6-7 hours of labor.

Comment

If the bodyshop buffed it than yeah, they never do the job right. I've buffed several cars that had brand new fresh paintjobs.

Where are you located? Id be glad to take a look at the civic hood for you and discuss options for ceramic coating the car.

I can do the whole car in 1 day if there is no correction needed. Roughly 6-7 hours of labor.
          I'm in Greenville and work in Forney.

The explorer needs a little bit of correction, there is a good bit of orange peel. I will probably look into correction and coating on it at some point.

Comment

Unfortunatly orange peel is just part of the world we live in. I rarely recommend trying to remove orange peel, especially on a new car. Primarily because you have to remove lots of material to really remove a decent amount of the peel meaning that if you ever want to do correction in the future you don't have near as much to play with without potential of burning through.

Best bet is I could do a single stage correction to remove any of the dealer installed swirls and fine scratches and a ceramic coating (22PLE). If that is something you are concerned with, the swirls.

Comment

Doesn't look like you went with a real paste wax. I forget with the alternative term for those types of waxes are. There is some other wax that comes in a tin and people might think its a paste wax, but its something else. Anyway, I can't see how there is any way that the barrier made by those liquids, can be as thick/strong/long lasting as a traditional wax.
              WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                Doesn't look like you went with a real paste wax. I forget with the alternative term for those types of waxes are. There is some other wax that comes in a tin and people might think its a paste wax, but its something else. Anyway, I can't see how there is any way that the barrier made by those liquids, can be as thick/strong/long lasting as a traditional wax.
                On the wife's car, I used wolfgang deep gloss liquid sealant. A wipe on wipe away product. Super happy with the results. I will update as time goes on to see how long it really lasts.

For my car, I picked up a tin of collinite 915, I'm hoping to be able tobwax everything but the hood this weekend, since it was freshly painted.

On the explorer, the only place I've noticed any swirl marks are on the black panels on the a pillar and rear pillars by the hatch.

My civic, on the other hand, is now covered in them after the body shop that painted the hood offered to do some touch ups and buff the whole car for $100. Other than eliminating about 90% of the areas that were hazy/foggy, I'm not happy with it and wish I had taken it to someone like counterfiend for true paint correction. Though the reality of it is, it is my daily beater, has its fair share of dents and dings, so hopefully after a good wash and wax some of the swirls disappear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                  No good advice, but I must say that one of the happiest days of vehicle ownership for me is when my car finally accumulates enough dings and scratches that I don't care about keeping it perfect anymore.

Anyways...good luck. The garage is probably a far better protectant than any product.
                  I just picked up a 17 Chebbie Silverado and am in that phase. It sucks. I miss the DGAF that comes with driving a shitbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                    It's not really the thickness that is the important part. The only part of the wax, sealant or ceramic coating that sticks to the car is what is actually touching the paint, the rest just gets wiped away. It's more the hardness and the durability of it. If you leave a bottle of wax open it just dries out and gets powdery. If leave a bottle of the ceramic coatings open they turn into a clear hard ceramic disk.

The durability and toughness explains why these coatings last 2-4 years compared to 2-3 months of a normal wax.

Comment

It's not really the thickness that is the important part. The only part of the wax, sealant or ceramic coating that sticks to the car is what is actually touching the paint, the rest just gets wiped away. It's more the hardness and the durability of it. If you leave a bottle of wax open it just dries out and gets powdery. If leave a bottle of the ceramic coatings open they turn into a clear hard ceramic disk.

The durability and toughness explains why these coatings last 2-4 years compared to 2-3 months of a normal wax.
                      What is your experience with the WOWA type coatings? I'm curious how long the wolfgang is going to last.

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                      I just picked up a 17 Chebbie Silverado and am in that phase. It sucks. I miss the DGAF that comes with driving a shitbox.
                      I got my first car in 2000, it was a 97 civic. I washed that damn thing weekly, and took pride in the way that it looked. The s-10 that followed was the same way for a while, then as I got older, got more responsibility, etc, I quit taking care of them like I should have. The wife's Edge rarely got more than a touch less wash, my last s-10 probably had a year and a half worth of dust and road grime on it when I finally washed it up to sell. My current daily, the civic, I don't think I'd washed the damn thing in 6-8 months due to road construction on my daily route, and just being busy as shit in general. Now that we have the new car, and my car has been -somewhat- cleaned up, I'm trying to start over. Take the proper steps to make a weekly or bi-weekly wash, as necessary, quick and easy.

Comment

WOWA products are OK but you have to think, they are designed for convenience and not durability. So you May see 2-3 months out of it, but probably not much longer than that.
                        Carnuba waxes typically last 1-2 weeks, synthetic waxes 2-3 months, sealants 4-6 months and ceramic coatings (depending on the coating and coats) 1-4 years with Ceramic Pro being the exception as they claim a lifetime coating but that gets $$ fast.

Comment

WOWA products are OK but you have to think, they are designed for convenience and not durability. So you May see 2-3 months out of it, but probably not much longer than that.
                          Carnuba waxes typically last 1-2 weeks, synthetic waxes 2-3 months, sealants 4-6 months and ceramic coatings (depending on the coating and coats) 1-4 years with Ceramic Pro being the exception as they claim a lifetime coating but that gets $$ fast.
                          What kind of price range would a coating be on a fox body vert. Would need some paint correction as well. Something I'm thinking about doing around the first of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by blownaltered View Post
                            What kind of price range would a coating be on a fox body vert. Would need some paint correction as well. Something I'm thinking about doing around the first of the year.
                            Shoot me a Text 469-644-0209 so we can talk about options and pricing. :-)

Comment

Did a quick wash today and found yellow spots on the back of the car. These spots are smooth. I attempted to use a clay bar on them, but had no luck :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Rail Dust is what that is. I use Iron-X iron remover to help remove those contamination from the surface of the paint.

Comment

Working...
                                X