Jade’s 66: father/daughter project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jade’s 66: father/daughter project

Some Facebook homies might have already seen this, but I thought it was worth a build thread here too.

The Story
    What a whirlwind of a weekend!

I found a 66 coupe on Facebook Marketplace last week listed for $2,000. Not much of a description beyond the fact that it was an abandoned project in mom’s garage and she wanted it gone. The only promising detail was the 289 badge on the fender that happened to be sitting on top of the engine. (The whole fender, that is)

Long story short is that we just got this yesterday for my daughter and we have two years to make it happen. $1,500 later, we’ve got what amounts to a roller with all of the parts minus the windshield. Except for a bit of rust in the driver’s floor pan (and I assume, cowl), it is rock solid. Better shape than my fastback was in 20+ years ago, that’s for sure.

My daughter, Jade, is an amazing kid. She deserves it, and is smart and considerate enough to fully appreciate the memories we get to make together building this car.

As a testament to her awesomeness, my hot rod buddies descended on the purchase, helping us unload the super-packed garage. Special thanks goes to my friend Hunter. We grew up together and our first cars were blue 65-66 coupes and we’ve been building and driving old Mustangs together for almost 30 years. Fitzwell loaned me the rad tow rig. It has a fuel injected 351 and 4R70W, so pulling it home was a breeze.

The Specs
    1966 Coupe
    Wimbledon White
    Black Standard Interior
    C-code 289
    3 Spd Manual
    2.80 rear
    Dearborn assembly plant
    Dallas DSO
    AC (yup, still there)

The Plan
    There’s still much to be determined, but it’s looking like a mostly stock revival with drivability improvements (front discs, 3-point seatbelts, etc.). The big question is exterior color. It’s mostly in primer at the moment, and there’s really no reason not to go for what she really wants. Black interior goes with everything anyway.

So far, Emberglo is her pick, which is a favorite of mine, but it’s up to her. Plenty of time for that color to change.

I’ll update this thread as things progress. Next step will be cataloging everything that’s stuffed in boxes, then cleaning, then welding up the floor patch and holes left by the rocker and quarter panel trim holes. Then bodywork and you know how the rest of this goes.

Last edited by BLAKE; 12-16-2019, 03:42 PM.

Awesome.

Comment

Fuck yeah!

Comment

That's dading done right.

Comment

AWESOME!

Have fun.

Comment

Too cool, Blake. I can't believe Jade is that close to driving. I'm excited to see her pinstrping work on this one. Enjoy every minute of it sir.

Comment

That's cool man! How old is the daughter (@dfwmsickos to understand the length of the build)?
              Originally posted by stevo
              Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Excellent! This will be fun to watch.

Comment

Great family, cant wait to see the build!

Comment

Badass, I’m sure that’s gonna build a lot of memories. Does she like helping you or will this be you 95% of the time?

Comment

that's a project worth doing!
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Thanks y'all! We're excited for sure but it's fun to have y'all on board to follow along too.

Originally posted by Fordblue625 View Post
                        Too cool, Blake. I can't believe Jade is that close to driving. I'm excited to see her pinstrping work on this one. Enjoy every minute of it sir.
                        Yeah I'm really curious to see what she ends up doing as far as paint and custom details. She'll put her personal touch on it for sure.

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                        That's cool man! How old is the daughter (@dfwmsickos to understand the length of the build)?
                        She'll be 16 in 2 years and 2 months. So we've got that long to get it done, but my sweet wife is putting the screws to us to finish it early so she can drive it around herself before Jade gets her license, lol.

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                        Badass, I’m sure that’s gonna build a lot of memories. Does she like helping you or will this be you 95% of the time?
                        She's good for some hard work on this one. I of course will be doing quite a bit myself, but only because I really enjoy it. I'm sure this first phase will be humbling. Cleaning, sanding, rinse & repeat.

She's got skins on the wall though. She always helps me wash the fastback and has done her share of work on it...

Comment

This is great, happy for you both.

I might have a new reproduction from vent window i can offer. UPS (overgoods) delivered it to work recently, and we do not know who it belongs to. If its still there when i get back to the office, i will grab it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
                            This is great, happy for you both.

I might have a new reproduction from vent window i can offer. UPS (overgoods) delivered it to work recently, and we do not know who it belongs to. If its still there when i get back to the office, i will grab it for you.
                            Badass! That'd be super cool.

Comment

Kickass, Blake.
                              This will also be a very good way to keep her focused at school, her light at the end of the tunnel will be that '66.
                              Originally posted by Silverback
                              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                              X